British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Help on leaving uk (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/help-leaving-uk-889488/)

Smarty3108 Jan 2nd 2017 4:41 pm

Help on leaving uk

Hi I'm planning on leaving the UK to move to Greece in a couple of months. I'm hoping I can get some help in who I need to inform on my move and if there's any guides out there on the best way to do this? Also from experience how long this may take? Thank you in advance.

Rotor Feb 11th 2017 6:46 pm

Re: Help on leaving uk

Legally perhaps no one but I`d say HMRC for one , make sure you get the right forms.

scot47 Feb 18th 2017 4:14 pm

Keep a bank account in the UK. Inform the bank of your new address. National insurance in Longbenton, Newcastle. You can keep your name on the voters' roll (for 10 years ?).

BritInParis Feb 18th 2017 4:25 pm

There's no legal requirement to tell anyone but it's a good idea to inform HMRC using Form P85 as you may be eligible for a tax refund.

Rotor Feb 18th 2017 5:11 pm

You could pay self employed NI , it will keep your pension topped up and your right to healthcare , maybe naughty but thats your choice....

https://www.gov.uk/self-employed-nat...nsurance-rates

Novocastrian Feb 23rd 2017 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 12183326)
You could pay self employed NI , it will keep your pension topped up and your right to healthcare , maybe naughty but thats your choice....

https://www.gov.uk/self-employed-nat...nsurance-rates

NHS access is based on residency. Nothing at all to do with NI.

Rotor Feb 23rd 2017 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12188035)
NHS access is based on residency. Nothing at all to do with NI.

You're not seeing how it could work to the OP`s benefit ,assuming one is not retired and youve been absent from the UK for x years technically you are not automatically entitled to NHS care , get it?, also when you rock up in Spain and are not a retiree you will only get emergency medical care.

BritInParis Feb 23rd 2017 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 12188115)
You're not seeing how it could work to the OP`s benefit ,assuming one is not retired and youve been absent from the UK for x years technically you are not automatically entitled to NHS care , get it?, also when you rock up in Spain and are not a retiree you will only get emergency medical care.

Anyone who is ordinarily and legally resident in the UK is entitled to free secondary NHS care. There's no link between NI contributions and NHS care. You can be making voluntarily NI contributions from overseas but that still doesn't allow you to fly back for treatment as a visitor however as a British citizen you are eligible for free treatment from the moment you arrive in the UK even if you have never been to the UK providing you are intending to stay.

Rotor Feb 23rd 2017 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12188243)
however as a British citizen you are eligible for free treatment from the moment you arrive in the UK even if you have never been to the UK providing you are intending to stay.

Source?

BritInParis Feb 23rd 2017 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 12188300)
Source?

"Provision of free NHS treatment is on the basis of being ordinarily resident and is not dependent upon nationality, payment of UK taxes, national insurance (NI) contributions, being registered with a GP, having an NHS number or owning property in the UK. Ordinarily resident means, broadly speaking, living in the UK on a lawful and properly settled basis for the time being."

Moving to England from the EEA - Access to healthcare in England - NHS Choices

Rotor Feb 23rd 2017 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12188321)
"Provision of free NHS treatment is on the basis of being ordinarily resident and is not dependent upon nationality, payment of UK taxes, national insurance (NI) contributions, being registered with a GP, having an NHS number or owning property in the UK. Ordinarily resident means, broadly speaking, living in the UK on a lawful and properly settled basis for the time being."

Moving to England from the EEA - Access to healthcare in England - NHS Choices

Thats what I said , but I cant see where being an expat Brit is always entitled to NHS secondary care regardless of time away.

I did see "If you are not ordinarily resident in the UK, you are considered to be an overseas visitor and may be charged for NHS hospital services."

Novocastrian Feb 23rd 2017 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 12188334)
Thats what I said , but I cant see where being an expat Brit is always entitled to NHS secondary care regardless of time away.

I did see "If you are not ordinarily resident in the UK, you are considered to be an overseas visitor and may be charged for NHS hospital services."

You need to do some more reading.

Rotor Feb 23rd 2017 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12188336)
You need to do some more reading.

Very helpful :sarcasm:

Pulaski Feb 23rd 2017 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 12188334)

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12188321)
"Provision of free NHS treatment is on the basis of being ordinarily resident and is not dependent upon nationality, payment of UK taxes, national insurance (NI) contributions, being registered with a GP, having an NHS number or owning property in the UK. Ordinarily resident means, broadly speaking, living in the UK on a lawful and properly settled basis for the time being." ....

Thats what I said,

No, it's the exact opposite of what you said.

..... but I can't see where being an expat Brit is always entitled to NHS secondary care regardless of time away. ....
They're not, but if they move back to the UK i.e. intend to stay, find a home, and live, in the UK, then they are entitled to NHS treatment just the same as anyone else who is resident in the UK.

Rotor Feb 23rd 2017 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12188340)
No, it's the exact opposite of what you said.
They're not, but if they move back to the UK i.e. intend to stay, find a home, and live, in the UK, then they are entitled to NHS treatment just the same as anyone else who is resident in the UK.

"You're not seeing how it could work to the OP`s benefit ,assuming one is not retired and youve been absent from the UK for x years technically you are not automatically entitled to NHS care , get it?, also when you rock up in Spain and are not a retiree you will only get emergency medical care."