Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help, I want to move to the UK and I don't know where to start!?!?

View Poll Results: What to do?? How to do it??
Give it up and stay in the USA
41.18%
Marry someone who lives there
11.76%
Work for the U.S.Embassy
5.88%
Non of the above
41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Help, I want to move to the UK and I don't know where to start!?!?

Old Apr 18th 2004, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

sweetsmilez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help, I want to move to the UK and I don't know where to start!?!?

Hello

My name is April and i am from the United States. I have a 4 yr old son and I am 23. I am interested in moving to the UK and wanted to know where to start. I am a licensed Nurses Assistant and I also have a Background in banking. But I don't know where to start. I am looking for a change of pace since I have lived in the USA my whole life and I realize there is so much more than just the plain ol' USA and needed some tips and advice. I appreciate all the help. Just so you know I am a single mom and will look into any avenues that you suggest.

Thank You
April and my son Shaun
Old Apr 19th 2004, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

VanishingDragon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello April,

Im glad your interested in our country!

I think it would be very easy for you to get work in the UK. But since your in Banking you should probably start work in London.
My father works for Mellon Bank a US company with offices around the world including London. There are always americans around the Bank as well as London.
So you shouldnt have any trouble.

Unfortuanately I cant advise you on any Visas that you will require. I have an Australian friend who easily got a 2 year work visa and he didnt have any family connections to the UK!
You may want to try that first to see if you like Merry Old England

If you dont mind me asking, what do you find attractive about the UK?

For Visa information you should contact the British Embassy in either Washington or New York for your visas.

Good Luck
Old Apr 20th 2004, 11:17 am
Just Joined

sweetsmilez is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice.

Actually, I think the UK is a beautiful country and I have always dreamed about living there since I was younger and I feel whenever you want something, you should go out and get it...

How is the cost of living and school there?
Old Apr 20th 2004, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sweetsmilez
Thanks for the advice.

Actually, I think the UK is a beautiful country and I have always dreamed about living there since I was younger and I feel whenever you want something, you should go out and get it...

How is the cost of living and school there?

Hi,
You might want to try www.americanexpats.co.uk. Post your question on the Home Office section of the forum. That and the General Chat sections are free. To join the reat of the forum is about £10 a year.
I would say the main ways to get to the UK would be:

1) Through your nursing. Not sure if you have to be a graduate nurse though, you'd need to check it out, but it's definitely a shortage occuption you'd have no trouble getting a work permit for.

2) Study in the UK. If the course is a full time 3 year degree, you'd be entitled to use the NHS (you and your son) and work 20 hours per week (full time during vacations).

3) Get a transfer to the UK branch of a US firm.

4) BUNAC a sort of working holiday maker visa for recent graduates (6 months max).

5) Marry a British guy. Easier said than done! The relationship would have to be genuine though, they do ask for proof.

6) Hightly Skilled Migrant Programme. You need a total of 65 points I think. It's different rules for under and over 28s.

See www.ukvisas.gov.uk
Old Apr 24th 2004, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help, I want to move to the UK and I don't know where to start!?!?

Hello

My name is April and i am from the United States. I have a 4 yr old son and I am 23. I am interested in moving to the UK and wanted to know where to start. I am a licensed Nurses Assistant and I also have a Background in banking. But I don't know where to start. I am looking for a change of pace since I have lived in the USA my whole life and I realize there is so much more than just the plain ol' USA and needed some tips and advice. I appreciate all the help. Just so you know I am a single mom and will look into any avenues that you suggest.

Thank You
April and my son Shaun
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi April,

Best of luck with your plans to move to the UK.

However, be aware that it is a very expensive country and you will need some savings to get your relocation off to a good start!

Depending on which part of the country you choose to live in, (London is just crazy prices), you will need at least a few hundred pounds just to rent a place due to the need for 2 months deposit and one months rent in advance.

Another factor is the loneliness, if you don't know anyone there it will be quite difficult to get settled and homesickness could well blinker your views of the choice to live there.

I have re-located to different countries on 4 occasions and really these things are very important considerations.

The good news is, there are loads of people here on this board willing to offer advice and help you out.! So please take advantage of this opportunity to ask as many questions as you can.

Good luck and look to the future!
Old Apr 25th 2004, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

daveuk1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

April, STAY IN THE US.

House prices here are astronomical. Nurses get next to nothing. The Government is even shipping nurses in from the Phillipines, and they don`t like it here. Most nurses in London can only just pay the rent.

Honestly, don`t bother, unless you want to see your living standards fall dramatically. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. Sorry to burst the balloon.

Dave
Old Apr 25th 2004, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Kaylesh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya April,

Idon't know about Nursing Assistants,but Im a US born and trained RN.. I've been LIVING and WORKING in Scotland since 1999.. Yes there are lots of things that are more expensive.. However for some people there are things that are more important than the almight $ or £.
Granted I don't live extravagently but I absolutely LOVE living in Scotland and have NO intentions of going back the US.. I love the pace of life.. the people .. the history.. the countryside..
I would say research the part of the UK that you are intending to move to ..
There are tons and tons of sites devoted rental properties all over the UK..
Squirrel mentioned www.americanexpats.co.uk it is a good site for americans thinking of/or that have moved to the UK.. Check it out..
Kaylesh
Old Apr 27th 2004, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

escapade is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello April, If you get offered a job in nursing which comes with subsidised or free accommodation and child care facility, then I would say go for it, but if you have to find your own accommodation and hunt for a child minder prepared to work shifts (rare), I'd say forget nursing...unless you have loads of savings and I mean a LOT.

London can be a very expensive place to live. It's not easy to find decent affordable housing, unless you are prepared to share, but with a child, sharing would be more difficult than someone solo. State schools are free, but child care can be very expensive and finding a good school and decent child care isn't easy either. If you were to live outside London in the suburbs, then you would have the cost of the commute, again not cheap. To give you an idea, around here, an ordinary small terrace house with 2/3 bedrooms near a mainline station about 30 miles from central London would cost £250,000+ to buy and rent, maybe £800 per month or so. If you add child care costs to that and commuting you would soon find your monthly expenditure exceeding your income without having eaten, paid one bill or gone out anywhere. There are child tax credits to help with child care but you'd have to look into this because the lower waged receive more help.

Best of luck with your endeavours, but England is not a cheap place to live + depending where UK, the people can be quite reserved.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 8:57 am
Account Closed

How old is your child? School starts earlier in the UK than the US. Nursery starts at 4.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 12:33 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

Hi April,

Having just spent almost 2 months in hospital in Cambridge, they are always short of HCAs (nursing assistants) but like London, Cambridge is silly prices for accomodation. That said if you are prepared to go to a more rural location then perhaps competition will be less strong.

About your child starting school, in some areas Schooling starts at 4, certainly where I grew up that was the case (Yorkshire).

Simon
Old Apr 28th 2004, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

escapade is an unknown quantity at this point

School hours are approx 9 am to 3 pm, Mon - Fri though, so unless there is a before and after school club facility either at the school or at place of work (in which case still need childminder to collect from school and take to asc), a childminder would be needed and usually childminders don't work much earlier than 7 am or later than 7pm (excluding weekends) and that's pushing the hours for childminder and child. If having to work shifts then there would have to be a child care facility at the hospital in my opinion, or hire a live in nanny, or work only part time.

Last edited by escapade; Apr 28th 2004 at 6:40 pm.
Old May 1st 2004, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Essex Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Thank You
April and my son Shaun
Hello April

Frankly I would'nt bother you are better off where you are. Nursers are really badly paid over here and you would be lucky to find a decent home as a single mother with a small boy on the wages you would earn - House prices here are becoming a joke in fact the whole place is a joke I think everyone would like to get out if they could

Old May 1st 2004, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

VanishingDragon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Essex Girl
House prices here are becoming a joke in fact the whole place is a joke I think everyone would like to get out if they could
Hi Essex Girl!

Your based in Benfleet? Im based in Southend in the Eastwood area. I have to tell you I hate the town so much and as soon as I am able to leave I will do so with out any hesitation and a huge grin on my face!

If you pick any place to live in England April dont pick Southend. Unless you want your child to grow up and be the next Vinnie Jones dont move here.
The midlands can be a nice place especially around the Crewe area.
Old May 4th 2004, 8:48 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by Essex Girl
Hello April

Frankly I would'nt bother you are better off where you are. Nursers are really badly paid over here and you would be lucky to find a decent home as a single mother with a small boy on the wages you would earn - House prices here are becoming a joke in fact the whole place is a joke I think everyone would like to get out if they could

I don't want to get out. I could easily go to live in the US as I have a US citizen husband, but I love London and wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

There are loads of Americans living quite happily in the UK on americanexpats.co.uk.
Old May 7th 2004, 5:13 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Hello

Thank You
April and my son Shaun

why dont you move to a different part of the US, say NY. with your credentials, it will be hard to provide a decent living for your son, especially in England. salaries are much lower than in the US and the cost of living is much higher. as you are still young, improve on your credentials and the world will be yours to live. a bachelor's is the minimum (IMHO).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.