Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hello from Greece

Hello from Greece

Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hello from Greece

Originally Posted by Ade03
Hi Britex01,

As you know there are many islands in Greece, each with its own character.

From the few I have been to so far, I would recommend Spetses.

However, my Greek friends have recommended I visit Santorini and Corfu, so you might want to consider them too.

Regards
Good choice, but, don't forget Crete. I have had some great holidays there. Second largest island in the Med. A great place to just hire a car and drive.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

jimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by britex01
I've visited every country in western Europe, including Scandinavia. But Greece has long evaded me. Closest I got was Cyprus. What my TX OH and I are looking at are nice peaceful surroundings, beach walks and so on, for our first visit anyway. The places you and other posters listed have been of great help. Skiathos is certainly leaning towards a fav. I would certainly like for us to visit Athens though.

Late September is the earliest we can hope to get away, but I understand the weather is still very good in Greece at that time of year.

Thanks for your input, Lionheart. Appreciated ...

--
Hi, Skiathos is stunning and well worth a visit, I have been there 3 times and love it. If you are staying in Athens you can book a combined bus/ ferry ticket at travel agent in Kanigos Square...takes about 5 hours from Athens to Skiathos. Kanigos Square is only a short walk from Omonia Square. You also catch the bus just outside the travel agent.. make sure you book the morning departure .September is still lovely weather there, hope you get there, it really is worth it.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 2:40 pm
BGV
Just Joined

BGV is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ade03,

It seems as though we are in a similar boat.

I'm also a Brit with a Greek wife.

We are based in Marousi.

Drop me a PM and we'll try and arrange for a beer (I've only just registered so I can't send PM's until after 3 posts so it tells me)

As for Brits out here. Many based down in the South, they tend to be involved with the shipping.

But it tends to be a bit like the UN, we tend to hang out with Greeks, Brits, Finns, South Africans and a few other nations
Old May 5th 2008, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Alica will become famous soon enoughAlica will become famous soon enough

Hello,

New to the site and Greece.

Surprised there isn't a Sub Forum for Greece, I was under the impression there are a good number of British Expats here.

Anyone here living in Greece, Athens?

I am trying to find a good forum, not sure this is what i want. I am british living in north greece, and just want general chat with people in similar circumstanse. Perhaps with a view to exchanching practical advice, or at least finding some people to sound off with
Old May 6th 2008, 4:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alica
I am trying to find a good forum, not sure this is what i want. I am british living in north greece, and just want general chat with people in similar circumstanse. Perhaps with a view to exchanching practical advice, or at least finding some people to sound off with

Well kids, you've got to start somewhere. In the over 6 years that I've been looking, I've not seen an online group for Brits in Greece.

You are welcome to start out with a dedicated Greece thread here and chat away. Once traffic is high enough, Admin will certainly consider splitting you off to your own sub-group (that's how all these other ones got started).

Now, for a starting topic: Why is peanut butter so hard to find in Greece?
Old May 7th 2008, 7:25 am
BGV
Just Joined

BGV is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Well kids, you've got to start somewhere. In the over 6 years that I've been looking, I've not seen an online group for Brits in Greece.

You are welcome to start out with a dedicated Greece thread here and chat away. Once traffic is high enough, Admin will certainly consider splitting you off to your own sub-group (that's how all these other ones got started).

Peanut Butter, last time I looked it was ready available in Alpha Vita (AB) supermarket. They also have Brown sauce too (I think the Americans among us know this to be steak sauce) A must for a Sunday morning cooked breakfast Your sausages and bacon just don't taste the same without it.

As for a separate forum section for Greece, it would be handy, we could swap hints and tips.

We could also discuss why a car that I've bought in the UK (4x4) for trips away to the mountains etc which was the pricely sum of 2000 euros in the UK would cost me 16000 euros to re-register here in Greece. So this thing about a common European market just doesn't seem to cut much mustard for the average Joe on the street.

But from reading the papers I think the Greek Government is slowly being brought into line with the rest of Europe (Although I know Greece is not as bad as some other European countries concerning the re-reg of cars.
Old May 8th 2008, 8:05 am
GDE
Just Joined

GDE is just really niceGDE is just really niceGDE is just really niceGDE is just really niceGDE is just really niceGDE is just really niceGDE is just really niceGDE is just really nice

You are best off by saying what you like in a holiday. Each island offers its own unique variety of options. Give more details.

For example:
Beach and Nightlife=Mykonos (very expensive)
Romance and Relaxation= Santorini (Couples Island)
History=Probably Rhodos or Crete
Beautiful old town, not great beaches= Corfu
Short trip from Athens=Hydra
Authentic, few tourists = Perhaps Spetses
Lots of Greenery = Skiathos

This is a bit simplistic. But I suggest that you give more details about what you like rather than say, "please recommend an island". What one person looks for may be very different than what you look for.
Old May 9th 2008, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Ade03 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a supermarket on Kokkinara Street (Politeia) that sells a lot of british and american condiments. Am sure they stock peanut butter too. Will check on
my next visit and let you know.
Old May 9th 2008, 4:49 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

There is a supermarket on Kokkinara Street (Politeia) that sells a lot of british and american condiments. Am sure they stock peanut butter too. Will check on
my next visit and let you know.
Hi again Ade, thanks!

I realized I never came back to answer your Q about the US. Our story is a little weird.
I went to Rodos one summer for a 3 month holiday, to visit my parents and the neat little village they found there through a friend. My family is American and Canadian, & none of us have Greek roots, but we lived in Spain at different times and had always wanted to go to Greece.
As things happen, I met the man I wanted to marry there. He's English but had been living on Rhodes for 7 years. We married there, and stayed another couple of years, but the village started filling up, real estate went crazy, the cost of living was increasing and, most money-sucking of all, I had a house in the US that needed attention.
So, we decided to come back to the US and are in Oregon, on the West Coast (the one above California, haha). The DH loves it here and believe it or not (miserable Brits you lot!) is happy to have the cloudy days again after our 300+ per year of sun (I miss that).

So, I can get my peanut butter now, but no decent feta, cheap ouzo or custom whole meal bread from the baker. But I am pleased to share that I grew my first crop of olives here this year, harvested and brined them all, and everyone tells me they're great! Only 10 pounds worth, but our own little patch of Greece over here.
PS: there are more of my garden shots in the photo gallery here
Attached Thumbnails Hello from Greece-6pa130030.jpg  
Old May 17th 2008, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

michellea is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, I find Skopelos is more beautiful than Skiathos so even if you decide to go to Skiathos Skopelos is a must visit.
Old May 18th 2008, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

jimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by michellea
Personally, I find Skopelos is more beautiful than Skiathos so even if you decide to go to Skiathos Skopelos is a must visit.
thanks for that info michellea, I haven't been there yet but will go now. I live in australia, but now organizing to try and live in UK..I am an ozzie, may even spend 6 months a year in Greece, love it there
Old May 22nd 2008, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

JackBauer247 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys my names Nick , i'm from Manchester uk.

I'm going to be in Athens Greece on 3rd June. Whats the best place to go about getting a job in Greece ?

I'm hearing from a lot of people that Athens is going to be a hard place to get a job, and that i'm better off trying in some other parts of Greece.

is it really that hard ?
Old May 23rd 2008, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by JackBauer247
Hi guys my names Nick , i'm from Manchester uk.

I'm going to be in Athens Greece on 3rd June. Whats the best place to go about getting a job in Greece ?

I'm hearing from a lot of people that Athens is going to be a hard place to get a job, and that i'm better off trying in some other parts of Greece.

is it really that hard ?

(see MY member title)

What kind of job are you thinking of, Nick? Do you want to live in the city, or elsewhere?
I got a job easily, but I'm not sure it's the kind you're looking for!
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:08 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

(see MY member title)

What kind of job are you thinking of, Nick? Do you want to live in the city, or elsewhere?
I got a job easily, but I'm not sure it's the kind you're looking for!
You didn`t tell me you was a pole dancer. ;-)
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
You didn`t tell me you was a pole dancer. ;-)
No, generic English/Scots/German mix...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.