British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Healthcare by country (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/healthcare-country-946752/)

mah88 Jan 15th 2023 11:52 am

Healthcare by country

Hi there. I'm considering immigrating to either Italy, Malta or Spain. I have a long-term illness (IBD), so good-quality, free or affordable healthcare is important to me. For context, I'm 34, a dual British-Austrian citizen, and hoping to find work there too. Thanks! Oh, and feel free to suggest other countries in Europe with good healthcare (but high hours of sunshine are also important to me).

Rosemary Jan 15th 2023 12:49 pm

Re: Healthcare by country

Since Brexit it is impossible for a UK national to simply move to another country in Europe and then look for work. You have to apply for a visa first.

Rosemary

christmasoompa Jan 15th 2023 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 13165857)
Since Brexit it is impossible for a UK national to simply move to another country in Europe and then look for work. You have to apply for a visa first.

He mentions being an Austrian citizen though as well, would that not mean he could move as an EU national?

Rosemary Jan 15th 2023 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13165858)
He mentions being an Austrian citizen though as well, would that not mean he could move as an EU national?

Possibly. Not sure how it all works out for EU nationals who need to work. Things seem to change all of the time.

Rosemary

mah88 Jan 15th 2023 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 13165857)

Rosemary

As mentioned, I'm also Austrian so this isn't relevant to me. Any thoughts re the healthcare systems?

scrubbedexpat142 Jan 15th 2023 1:44 pm

If you ask a Hungarian about the public healthcare they will tell you it's s**t! But then they say that about everything Hungarian! However, my Wife has, unfortunately, had to avail herself of the healthcare system on many occasions over the last 8 months with three separate, unrelated issues. The care & treatment she has had here has been absolutely first class, way better than any reasonable person from the UK could have expected.

And Budapest gets more sunshine than Vienna (& Warwickshire)!

Didn't the Hapsburgs summer over in Budapest before returning to winter in Vienna (or was it the other way around?)!

mah88 Jan 15th 2023 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 13165863)
If you ask a Hungarian about the public healthcare they will tell you it's s**t! But then they say that about everything Hungarian! However, my Wife has, unfortunately, had to avail herself of the healthcare system on many occasions over the last 8 months with three separate, unrelated issues. The care & treatment she has had here has been absolutely first class, way better than any reasonable person from the UK could have expected.

And Budapest gets more sunshine than Vienna (& Warwickshire)!

Didn't the Hapsburgs summer over in Budapest before returning to winter in Vienna (or was it the other way around?)!

Hungary seems like a good shout too. How cold is it in the winter, by the way? A stumbling block would be the ridiculously hard language. Re Habsburgs - probably summered in both places, to be fair. Lots of spas and palaces about.

scrubbedexpat142 Jan 15th 2023 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by mah88 (Post 13165866)
Hungary seems like a good shout too. How cold is it in the winter, by the way? A stumbling block would be the ridiculously hard language. Re Habsburgs - probably summered in both places, to be fair. Lots of spas and palaces about.

Winter is (or was?) short & sharp, typical minimums are minus 10 in January. However I say was because (due to climate change?) recent winters (including this) have been incredibly mild.

From April right through November the climate is very benign & gloriously hot in summer!

Language is VERY hard and this may affect your work situation, we are retired so, although we have lessons and do try, we have no problem because so many Budapestis speak English (& are very happy to do so), in fact many Hungarians have told us not to bother with Hungarian.

mah88 Jan 15th 2023 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 13165868)
Winter is (or was?) short & sharp, typical minimums are minus 10 in January. However I say was because (due to climate change?) recent winters (including this) have been incredibly mild.

From April right through November the climate is very benign & gloriously hot in summer!

Language is VERY hard and this may affect your work situation, we are retired so, although we have lessons and do try, we have no problem because so many Budapestis speak English (& are very happy to do so), in fact many Hungarians have told us not to bother with Hungarian.

Ah, okay. Probably not suitable for my circumstances but thanks, anyway.

scrubbedexpat142 Jan 15th 2023 2:36 pm

Oh, and plenty of Austrians live & work here!

Moses2013 Jan 15th 2023 2:52 pm

All EU citizens have the right to access healthcare in any EU country and to be reimbursed for care abroad by their home country. This is even written here:
https://health.ec.europa.eu/cross-bo...re/overview_en
Of course it sounds easier than it is and nobody can say where you will find best healthcare as the public system has reached it's limits in many countries and every hospital has different staff. A good system on paper doesn't guarantee good treatment and I always say look at the location and your personal situation. Malta is tiny/overcrowded and Gozo has fewer people, but no jobs. Italy and Spain just depends on location and some parts see more rain than we have in Ireland. We have a holiday home in Girona province and around Barcelona would offer more jobs for German speakers and sees 2500 hours of sunshine, but rentals very expensive and a lot of apartments don't even have a balcony. And salaries not great either.

mah88 Jan 15th 2023 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 13165873)
All EU citizens have the right to access healthcare in any EU country and to be reimbursed for care abroad by their home country. This is even written here:
https://health.ec.europa.eu/cross-bo...re/overview_en
Of course it sounds easier than it is and nobody can say where you will find best healthcare as the public system has reached it's limits in many countries and every hospital has different staff. A good system on paper doesn't guarantee good treatment and I always say look at the location and your personal situation. Malta is tiny/overcrowded and Gozo has fewer people, but no jobs. Italy and Spain just depends on location and some parts see more rain than we have in Ireland. We have a holiday home in Girona province and around Barcelona would offer more jobs for Gernan speakers and sees 2500 hours of sunshine, but rentals very expensive and a lot of apartments don't even have a balcony. And salaries not great either.

Thanks. I'm too bothered about getting a high salary, but looking for a good quality of life (sun, cheap, delicious food, and good access to quality healthcare). From what you're saying, it sounds like I would be better off somewhere in Spain or Italy. I already speak both languages, though my Spanish is better (but doesn't deter me from potentially moving to Italy).
Based the assumptions that there is not much work available in Southern Spain and Italy (or Sicily), I assume that limits me to Northern Spain (which is too wet for me), Eastern Spain or Central and Northern Italy (which might be too cold for me in the winter - looking for 10°c plus, ideally).

scrubbedexpat142 Jan 15th 2023 3:10 pm

Portugal, maybe?

Moses2013 Jan 15th 2023 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by mah88 (Post 13165875)
Thanks. I'm too bothered about getting a high salary, but looking for a good quality of life (sun, cheap, delicious food, and good access to quality healthcare). From what you're saying, it sounds like I would be better off somewhere in Spain or Italy. I already speak both languages, though my Spanish is better (but doesn't deter me from potentially moving to Italy).
Based the assumptions that there is not much work available in Southern Spain and Italy (or Sicily), I assume that limits me to Northern Spain (which is too wet for me), Eastern Spain or Central and Northern Italy (which might be too cold for me in the winter - looking for 10°c plus, ideally).

It really depends what type of work you are looking at. Apart from tourism and service jobs, the usual cities not in the North of Spain are Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, Malaga, Alicante, Seville, Malaga and a few more of course. We are not too far from Lloret and it's usually pleasant all year round, but you stil get cooler nights. Not as bad as Madrid and they can see more snow and too hot in summer/like Seville or cities further inland. Malaga and Marbella are popular but again depends what one does for a living. Reality can be very different.

mah88 Jan 15th 2023 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 13165878)
Portugal, maybe?

I always forget about Portugal. I've been once (to a touristy area in the Algarve which I didn't like), and I'm sure there are beautiful areas, but it doesn't have that extra something. I don't know what it is exactly.