Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which health insurers will issue a Belgian SIS card?

Which health insurers will issue a Belgian SIS card?

Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice
Default Which health insurers will issue a Belgian SIS card?

I just spoke to an expat in Belgium who learned that after a couple years of paying Belgian social security he was unable to access the social health system because no one gave him a SIS card, which is necessary.

International health insurance agents I've spoken to seem to be unaware of the SIS card. I suspect that if I take an international policy that doesn't come with a SIS card, I'll just be throwing money away.

How do employed expats get a SIS card, and also get repatriation coverage that will enable them to return to their home country for treatment of anything serious that happens, all without paying for lots of duplicate coverage?

Last edited by jgombos; Aug 31st 2008 at 11:07 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:54 am
HCI
Just Joined

HCI is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which health insurers will issue a Belgian SIS card?

No international health insurer will provide an SIS card as well as health insurance as the SIS card is a local requirement and not at international expat level (Speak with the local embassy and/or local government/council office regarding the SIS card).

You could obtain an Emergency type cover for repatriation reasons, and for travelling outside Belgium.

Insurers: http://britishexpats.com/resources/f...nce/index.html