British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Heading for Estonia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/heading-estonia-564697/)

willmore Oct 1st 2008 9:17 pm

Heading for Estonia

Jim and I are heading for Estonia, Helsinki and Russia next spring.

We have been doing a fair bit of research into exactly the most effective and efficient method to get to estonia our starting point. We have no problem getting a flight from vancouver to either amsterdam or frankfurt (direct), however the connection between either of those cities and tallinn (estonia) is very long.

Im wondering if anyone has travelled to estonia through the UK, and if you have any thoughts of how we can get there with good connection time and so that we dont arrive in tallinn very late at nite.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer to go through heathrow, as I can pick up some chocolate on the way home.....:o

Thanks everyone.

willmore Oct 4th 2008 10:23 pm

Re: Heading for Estonia

Come on folks, 28 views and no replies? Surely someone, anyone has travelled to/through estonia visiting tallinn?

Mitzyboy Oct 4th 2008 10:28 pm

The only thing I know about Estonia Willmore is that they always score more than us in the Eurovision Song Contest ....... but there again everyone does I believe

willmore Oct 5th 2008 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 6845284)
The only thing I know about Estonia Willmore is that they always score more than us in the Eurovision Song Contest ....... but there again everyone does I believe

I know how you feel, Im the same way when canada loses a hockey game.:o

Thanks anyway. Im sure Ill eventually get an answer.:eek:

Jules Europe Oct 6th 2008 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by willmore (Post 6837039)

We have been doing a fair bit of research into exactly the most effective and efficient method to get to estonia our starting point. We have no problem getting a flight from vancouver to either amsterdam or frankfurt (direct), however the connection between either of those cities and tallinn (estonia) is very long.

Im wondering if anyone has travelled to estonia through the UK, and if you have any thoughts of how we can get there with good connection time and so that we dont arrive in tallinn very late at nite.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer to go through heathrow, as I can pick up some chocolate on the way home.....:o

Thanks everyone.

Came across this thread by accident and many years ago travelled to Saint Petersburg by train from the UK, recommend this trip as you will see some great countryside especially in Poland. The trip I did was a stop start trip that took the best part of a week but could probably be done in a couple of days. Why don`t you fly to Helsinki or even better Saint.Petersburg as its only a short distance to Tallinn. Can tell you about Saint Petersburg but not too much about Tallinn though.

willmore Oct 6th 2008 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jules Europe (Post 6850242)
Came across this thread by accident and many years ago travelled to Saint Petersburg by train from the UK, recommend this trip as you will see some great countryside especially in Poland. The trip I did was a stop start trip that took the best part of a week but could probably be done in a couple of days. Why don`t you fly to Helsinki or even better Saint.Petersburg as its only a short distance to Tallinn. Can tell you about Saint Petersburg but not too much about Tallinn though.

Thanks for the suggestion. We sort of have our tentative plans arranged, but will certainly give your idea some thought. We want to end our trip in moscow.

Any tips on st petes would be appreciated.

Jules Europe Oct 7th 2008 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by willmore (Post 6850544)
Thanks for the suggestion. We sort of have our tentative plans arranged, but will certainly give your idea some thought. We want to end our trip in moscow.

Any tips on st petes would be appreciated.

St.Petes is a great city especially if you like history etc The home of the Tsars and the siege of Leningrad etc and most of the historical sites have been well preserved. The metro system is also one of the shining lights of the Soviet era, even if it is now very overcrowded. Plenty of great historic sites for you to look on google for so I won`t list them here. Recommend the summer palaces outside the city as well. Forget the name but one is superb and is situated on the Baltic itself.

If I was doing your trip well I would start in Helsinki and then St.Petes then Tallinn and finally Moscow. Another option would be Tallinn second as there is a regular ferry service between Helsink and Tallinn.

Don`t know what you know about Estonia but the people are Finnic meaning they have much in common with the Finns and nor their Slavic neighbours, so some interesting cultural differences there.

Vladimir Oct 8th 2008 12:08 pm

So i think better way to go directly Helsinky then Estonia and only after S.Pb.
If i dont forget both Estonia and Finland part of Shengen so there is no problems to cross their borders.
National Estonians actually hate russians for reasons more close when blacks hate then they called "blacks". In Russia nobody could understand this, but such things took place.
So if you decide to cross previuosly Russian border then Estonia better to define you like not Russian and moreover like not a communist.

willmore Oct 9th 2008 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Jules Europe (Post 6852455)
St.Petes is a great city especially if you like history etc The home of the Tsars and the siege of Leningrad etc and most of the historical sites have been well preserved. The metro system is also one of the shining lights of the Soviet era, even if it is now very overcrowded. Plenty of great historic sites for you to look on google for so I won`t list them here. Recommend the summer palaces outside the city as well. Forget the name but one is superb and is situated on the Baltic itself.

If I was doing your trip well I would start in Helsinki and then St.Petes then Tallinn and finally Moscow. Another option would be Tallinn second as there is a regular ferry service between Helsink and Tallinn.

Don`t know what you know about Estonia but the people are Finnic meaning they have much in common with the Finns and nor their Slavic neighbours, so some interesting cultural differences there.

We are fascinated with the history and cultural diversity of the area, hence the reason we are travelling there. Canada just doesnt have the history unfortuntely.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Originally Posted by Vladimir (Post 6856113)
So i think better way to go directly Helsinky then Estonia and only after S.Pb.
If i dont forget both Estonia and Finland part of Shengen so there is no problems to cross their borders.
National Estonians actually hate russians for reasons more close when blacks hate then they called "blacks". In Russia nobody could understand this, but such things took place.
So if you decide to cross previuosly Russian border then Estonia better to define you like not Russian and moreover like not a communist.

Ok - is there a reason that you dont think that tallin, helsinki, st petes and moscow are a good idea? Would like your coomments.

We had planned on visiting belarus because my brother's wife has friends there, but they make it so bloody difficult that we decided not to visit at all.

Anyway I appreciate all your help. Any suggestions are more than welcome. Where in russia are you located. Are you near st. petes, novgorod or moscow - might be fun if jim and I met you and your wife for a drink.......

Vladimir Oct 9th 2008 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by willmore (Post 6858273)
Anyway I appreciate all your help. Any suggestions are more than welcome. Where in russia are you located. Are you near st. petes, novgorod or moscow - might be fun if jim and I met you and your wife for a drink.......

Yoy know where.:D
Though i was in St. P. for some reasons like most of russians actually i can`t to meet your as it say reqirments. I am too far away from St. P.
What about belarus - russians even needn`t passport to visit. So i think if you will be in russia it will be easy to visit Belarus too.

willmore Oct 9th 2008 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Vladimir (Post 6859975)
Yoy know where.:D
Though i was in St. P. for some reasons like most of russians actually i can`t to meet your as it say reqirments. I am too far away from St. P.
What about belarus - russians even needn`t passport to visit. So i think if you will be in russia it will be easy to visit Belarus too.

PMSL - I thought you had been released from that siberia labour camp?;)

Belarus - depends of the country of origin. Canadians need passport, transit and visitor visa to visit or even travel through the country. Cant be bothered going through all that.

I just love these former or communist countries that love to make it difficult for people from certain countries to visit.....;)

Im sorry we wont be able to get together and met.....but maybe some day....

jdr Oct 10th 2008 6:47 am

Originally Posted by willmore (Post 6860997)
PMSL - I thought you had been released from that siberia labour camp?;)

Belarus - depends of the country of origin. Canadians need passport, transit and visitor visa to visit or even travel through the country. Cant be bothered going through all that.

I just love these former or communist countries that love to make it difficult for people from certain countries to visit.....;)

Im sorry we wont be able to get together and met.....but maybe some day....

Maybe it`s cos they know you as North America, and giving a bit of tit for tat. lol

Ellesea Oct 16th 2008 9:42 am

Thanks everyone.

Estonian Air operate from London Gatwick and EasyJet from London Stansted.

kostas Oct 19th 2008 6:05 pm

Thanks everyone.

hi, there. I am from estonia you can ask any question you need about it. I'll be happy to answer. :)

willmore Oct 19th 2008 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by kostas (Post 6890118)
hi, there. I am from estonia you can ask any question you need about it. I'll be happy to answer. :)

Thank you so much for your kind offer. We will certainly be asking questions as we firm up our plans....