Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece and 2012 holidays

Greece and 2012 holidays

Old Mar 4th 2012, 7:42 am
Just Joined

crummy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Greece and 2012 holidays

We are thinking of going to Greece again this year. Last year we were touring the islands and there were problems with strikes affecting the flights and ports and ferries...

Is it still risky... we had long delays trying to fly out of Santorini in June 2010..

Any help would be very useful..
Old Mar 4th 2012, 7:50 am
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Greece and 2012 holidays

Originally Posted by crummy
We are thinking of going to Greece again this year. Last year we were touring the islands and there were problems with strikes affecting the flights and ports and ferries...

Is it still risky... we had long delays trying to fly out of Santorini in June 2010..

Any help would be very useful..
Well, it looks like Greece could default this week so the situation is interesting to say the least.
Personally I'd have no hesitation touring the islands - there are far worse places to find yourself affected by industrial unrest and if, as I suspect, large numbers of Germans stay away this summer availability should be much better than usual.
I'd also fly direct to an island and avoid routing through Athens.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your help...

Yes, we have accommodation sorted out in Kamari... it's getting stuck in the airport like we did last year that's the concern.

Imagine your holiday is coming to an end and the airports are on strike.. (they did this in June last year) and we had problems getting a plane out of Santorini... the airports were all stopped for two days, the planes were in the wrong place , and the airports are not built to keep people hanging about for hours/days...there was so much uncertainty...

It's a terrible shame... we love Greece, have been on holiday there many many times... and they NEED tourist money - but these strikes are VERY off putting. Some tour companies are stopping flying there because they don't know if they will be able to fly in/out......

Do you know if there have been any airport strikes recently?

We really want to go there again this year but...?? but it's not looking likely....
Old Mar 5th 2012, 6:46 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest this is a forum more about living and working in a country. If you want more information about vacations I would look at the likes of Trip Advisor. But it has to be said even those posters will not be able to predict the situation, it seems to change like the weather.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 4:20 am
Just Joined

Thank you Cuthbert for your kind reply... I know the situation is difficult in Greece, I hope they can sort themselves out soon..

Casa Santo... in fact, I am an ex-pat..(I am English living in Spain ) and we have forums there too and I am a member of several ... and WE love helping residents, travelers and holidaymakers...

I am sorry if I have trespassed on your personal club...

.. At least I know the Greeks are friendly...
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

gfere40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Greece and 2012 holidays

Well crummy
I am telling that, that most of the fuzz is happening to Athens & Thessaloniki and not to the rest of Greece.
However, there many islands or places that you can have your holidays nice and easy without these strikes upon you.
Paxos Island is one of these islands with flight directly to Corfu, no strikes there, and with a ferry in an hour you are there.

Hope I gave you some help with that info.

Grigorios
Old Mar 16th 2012, 5:44 am
Just Joined

Thank you gefere, much appreciated.....

that's really helpful and puts my mind at rest .. although I know things can change quickly.. but knowing it's not hitting the islands much is good news..

Think I'll go ahead and book.. what the hell!!

Old Mar 24th 2012, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

gfere40 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, crummy

i hope you have a good time then,

Grigoris
Old Mar 24th 2012, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks....I always do.....