Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

European TVs back home

European TVs back home

Old Nov 5th 2002, 11:47 am
Just Joined

umbago is an unknown quantity at this point
Question European TVs back home

Does anyone know whether or not TVs bought in Europe (in my case Switzerland and Germany) will work back home? I've heard stories from some of the guys here already that TVs brought from England don't have any sound when you plug them in over here. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.
Old Nov 17th 2002, 4:45 am
Just Joined

robh is an unknown quantity at this point

TV's in western Europe use a system called PAL B/G (plus SECAM in France), the UK has PAL I. The difference between PAL B/G and PAL I is indeed the sound - the gap between the video and audio signals is different so the tuners don't pick up the sound properly.

Having said that, it's just the tuner that is different. So it won't work in the UK for off-air signals, but will work fine for signals fed into it through the scart socket. You could connect a Sky/Freeview box to it via the SCART (A/V) leads fine, but it won't work via the aerial lead.

Rob