British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Getting a job in Slovenian for an expat! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/getting-job-slovenian-expat-879842/)

aleon Jul 3rd 2016 2:57 pm

Getting a job in Slovenian for an expat!

Hi all,

Live in UK most of my life and with a good paid job, but decided to leave UK after several visits to Slovenia.
Has anyone good any advise how to find jobs in Slovenia as Ive applied to hundreds of jobs but getting very little results.

Industry I work in is IT.

Thanks in advance.

mikelincs Jul 3rd 2016 3:29 pm

Re: Getting a job in Slovenian for an expat!

Originally Posted by aleon (Post 11992529)
Hi all,

Live in UK most of my life and with a good paid job, but decided to leave UK after several visits to Slovenia.
Has anyone good any advise how to find jobs in Slovenia as Ive applied to hundreds of jobs but getting very little results.

Thanks in advance.

How fluent are you in Slovenian? that may be a factor..

aleon Jul 3rd 2016 3:31 pm

Just the odd word.

mikelincs Jul 3rd 2016 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by aleon (Post 11992549)
Just the odd word.

Why then, did you make the jump to Slovenia, leaving a well paid job in the UK without, at least, learning the language to a good level, it's asking for trouble.

aleon Jul 3rd 2016 3:44 pm

The choice was simple, I have wonderful person to spend my life with.

SanDiegogirl Jul 3rd 2016 7:13 pm

Without being able to speak the language you should at least expect to have some difficulties finding a good job in the IT field and/or maybe have to take a lower qualified job where being able to speak the native language to any competent degree is not required.

fidobsa Jul 4th 2016 5:27 am

Can't you do freelance work for UK companies? My brother is a software engineer and he worked from home 4 days a week at one stage.

scot47 Jul 5th 2016 4:07 pm

Is there something you can do that a Slovene with local knowledge and language skills cannot offer ? There may be a niche for you but you will have to look hard !

booboo24 Jul 9th 2016 12:22 am

Translating and teaching seems to be the jobs most end up with here.

aleon Jul 9th 2016 7:47 am

Thank you all for you responses. Much appreciated!
Good health to you.

scot47 Aug 4th 2016 4:25 pm

Turn the situation on its head. What could a Slovene do in an English-speaking country if (s)he were determined not to learn English ? Learning to communicate in speech and writing is CRUCIAL.

mah88 Aug 14th 2016 2:28 am

Originally Posted by booboo24 (Post 11997863)
Translating and teaching seems to be the jobs most end up with here.

Where would you recommend looking for such jobs, please? :)

morpeth Aug 14th 2016 2:32 am

Originally Posted by aleon (Post 11992529)
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Two ideas come to mind. I recall that there is a multi-national which has an office in Slovenia which has a call center for clients, and they hired people with different native language skills, but I remember they had a preference for people who spoke at least two languages.

The other of course is online work that doesn't matter where you are based.