British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Geneva to Venice in a campervan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/geneva-venice-campervan-920898/)

jam25mack Jan 10th 2019 9:45 am

Geneva to Venice in a campervan

Hi,

Me and the Mrs are planning to pick up a camper in Geneva and drive to Venice over 7 days and so are looking at places to stop along the way. As we have 7 days the route doesn't and will not be anything like a straight line. Looking for recommendations of places and things to see and stop off at along the way.

This includes any nice mountain type chalets with hot tubs along the route.

Cheers

wisdomseeker Jun 17th 2019 12:19 pm

Re: Geneva to Venice in a campervan

Hi jam25mack have you looked at Montenegro at all? I visited Kotor last year and it was amazing. If you go that way (ferry would be more direct to Venice!), it's worth checking out.

philat98 Jul 22nd 2019 7:03 am

The north Italian lakes are worth visiting.

wisdomseeker Aug 5th 2019 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by philat98 (Post 12713343)

I have always missed out on seeing it but have heard Lake Garda is gorgeous.

Gordon Barlow Aug 6th 2019 12:22 am

Originally Posted by philat98 (Post 12713343)

Do yourself a favour and stop at Como. I was there forty years ago with my Mum (we drove from Corfu to London in my Kombi, via Venice), and she thought the lake there was the most beautiful she'd ever seen. It's something really special.

Lorna at Vicenza Aug 6th 2019 8:10 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12619265)
Hi,

Me and the Mrs are planning to pick up a camper in Geneva and drive to Venice over 7 days and so are looking at places to stop along the way. As we have 7 days the route doesn't and will not be anything like a straight line. Looking for recommendations of places and things to see and stop off at along the way.

This includes any nice mountain type chalets with hot tubs along the route.

Cheers

Hi there. I live in the North of Italy. I live at the bottom of some huge mountains, in fact the motorway stops here in my village because there is a mountain in front of you. The motorway is the Valdastico A31. If you get off right at the end in Piovene Rocchette you can then drive up to Asiago which is an old mountain town and is famous for Asiago cheese. It used to be the rich man's summer holiday destination when the wealthy factory owners all had summer homes up there to escape the heat down in the valleys. There are some very big and beautiful hotels up there as well as chalet type places, wooden balconies dripping with geraniums and other flowers.

Lake Garda is of course beautiful. You'll probably be driving closer to the bottom end and Sirmione is in my opinion one of the prettiest towns on the lake edge. At the end of Sirmione when you've walked through the town are the Grotto of Catullo, an archeological park, museum and Roman ruins of a once magnificent villa.

Verona is a more touristy city famous for Romeo and Juilet and the big Arena.

Soave is wine country and an olde worlde medieval walled town with a castle on the hill.

Bassano Del Grappa is a smallish and very pretty town famous for Grappa, ceramics and the wooden bridge built by the Alpine Corps which is still very much celebrated by them. When you stand on the bridge you can see all the bullet holes in the buildings next to it, left there since I think WWII.

Vicenza is the city closest to me and famous for its Palladian buildings and the Olympic Theatre which is easily found at the bottom of the main street. It's not an industrial, modern city centre so there are plenty of old piazzas and buildings, churches and a fairly new rooftop bar on top of the basilica right in the centre. It's not touristy either though you sometimes hear a loud American voice because they have a huge military base on the outskirts of the city.

Don't buy anything in St Mark's Square, not even a coffee unless of course you want to treat yourselves to a drink or afternoon tea at Caffè Florian, the oldest bar under the porches of St. Mark's.

Hope that's given you a few places to think about or start googling. Have a fun trip.