Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

France, Spain or elsewhere

France, Spain or elsewhere

Old Apr 29th 2012, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Boris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond repute
Default France, Spain or elsewhere

We are thinking of moving to France or Spain. Employment is not an issue as we will self-employed working for non-European companies. (We realise that red tape and bureaucracy IS an issue - we would find an English-speaking accountant.)
We want to live somewhere a little tranquil but not too far from an airport.
France is nice for the green countryside; Spain attracts because of the sun.
I would love to hear people's thoughts on which country they prefer and any ideas on other European countries (not UK) gratefully received. I wondered about Croatia.

All ideas and comments (positive or negative) gratefully received!

Old Apr 29th 2012, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: France, Spain or elsewhere

I imagine you will be getting many replies as we all have our own personal preferences, but my preference bearing in mind that you prefer to live in a peaceful setting but not too far from an airport, would be around the Toulouse area. It is really pretty everywhere in that area but what's good is that you can live close to Toulouse but at the same time be in the countryside. The airport there has excellent services to Paris if you need to get international flights. It's also pretty close to the sea if you like that, and also to Cataluna if you want a change of languages, customs etc.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Boris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you - has given me something to think about and I will certainly investigate that area!
Old May 1st 2012, 10:50 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Spain would require you to be well set in employment we have massive unemployment here - and for the past few weeks it has been colder, wetter, windier than UK

If you don't have a UK/EU driving licence then you will have to take a local test.

There are a number of downsides but many ups as well, so with careful planning Spain could be an option - nice people, great fresh food. Just be careful about the employment regulations, they are tough and costly.
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Domino - I guess we will need to compare the self-employment regulations for France and Spain. I know taxes are high in both countries.
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:41 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boris-canadabound
Thanks Domino - I guess we will need to compare the self-employment regulations for France and Spain. I know taxes are high in both countries.
Hi, in France it's not just taxes, but social security contributions for both of you, not to mention the limited turnover if you decide on the Auto-Entrepreneur system, meaning that you'd probably have to be separate Auto-Entrepreneurs. Make a search on the France forum (or post there!) - you'll get more info....
Old May 2nd 2012, 6:36 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

France is nice for the green countryside; Spain attracts because of the sun.
Try Navarra in northern Spain for somewhere that has green countryside and hot summers. But remember that a lot of places in both France and Spain get cold winters.
Old May 28th 2012, 10:56 am
Just Joined

mihall is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you considered Portugal? There is plenty of sun and away from the coast it is very tranquil.
Old May 28th 2012, 11:56 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Try Navarra in northern Spain for somewhere that has green countryside and hot summers. But remember that a lot of places in both France and Spain get cold winters.
I am 80k north of the CDS and it was brass monkeys here until April ! !

it isnt just the distance south towards the equator, lots of Spain are up a mountain - Granada is 750m above sea level.
but the view of the snow on the Sierra Nevada's is a real sight to remember.
Old May 28th 2012, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, thought of Portugal but thought that it was more bureaucratic than France or Spain - have looked into it very thoroughly though I must admit. I don't mind cold as long as there is snow - I would be quite happy to continue my new-found enthusiasm for skiing and skating!
Old May 29th 2012, 10:10 am
Just Joined

tally71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Boris,

Have you ever thought about Turkey, I know it is currently outside the EU, although they are trying to get into EU. We have had property near Fethiye in southern Turkey. The people are extremely welcoming, with 300 plus days of sunshine, with milder Winters than UK or Canada.

The cost of living is extremely reasonable compared to UK, the food is delicious as they grow much of their own fruit and vegetables. Good internet access. There is a string ex-pat community should you wish to become involved.

There are so many things to love about Turkey and currently the exchange rate is nearly 3TL to £. Bank interest rates are around 7-8%.

(SNIP)
Thanks

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jun 10th 2012 at 9:52 pm. Reason: Please dont advertise your property on the foums
Old Jun 10th 2012, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Belatedly, thanks for reply, no I hadn't thought of Turkey although I know people who have spent so many holidays there that they have bought a house there. I will have to do a bit more investigating. Still dithering.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 2:08 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boris-canadabound
Belatedly, thanks for reply, no I hadn't thought of Turkey although I know people who have spent so many holidays there that they have bought a house there. I will have to do a bit more investigating. Still dithering.
Yes. Your username is a clue to that.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 9:58 am
Just Joined

tally71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Boris,

Thanks for your post, if I can be of any further help for Turkey please let me know. We had never thought about having a house in Turkey, however we went to stay in 2004 and loved the people and country so much it won us over.

Thanks
Liz
Old Jun 15th 2012, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yes. Your username is a clue to that.
Yes, well I do like Canada as well!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.