British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Four Seasons Istanbul (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/four-seasons-istanbul-106938/)

saaraa Mar 12th 2002 6:04 am

Four Seasons Istanbul

Would love to stay at the Four Seasons except I'm finding it hard to justify the price.

I would welcome any suggestions for the next most luxurious hotels in the same part of town (I accept that Four Seasons is in a class of its own). It would need to have hot water 24 hours a day (I had never considered this as criterion for choosing a hotel before I read this forum), with decent bathrooms, be really clean, no saggy beds.....

Has anyone stayed at the Arena Hotel? How would you rate this hotel?

Heyheyyu Mar 13th 2002 4:05 am

Re: Four Seasons Istanbul

>Subject: Four Seasons Istanbul From: saaraa [email protected] Date: 3/12/02
    >5:50 AM Pacific Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >
    >Would love to stay at the Four Seasons except I'm finding it hard to justify
    >the price.
    >
    >I would welcome any suggestions for the next most luxurious hotels in the same part
    >of town (I accept that Four Seasons is in a class of its own). It would need to have
    >hot water 24 hours a day (I had never considered this as criterion for choosing a
    >hotel before I read this forum), with decent bathrooms, be really clean, no saggy
    >beds.....
    >
    >Has anyone stayed at the Arena Hotel? How would you rate this hotel?
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Try the Ceylan Inter-Continental. Only draw back is that it's in the newer part of
the city. Stayed there last year and they have a wonderful bar on the rooftop with a
magnificant view of the Maramara Sea.

The Hyatt Regency is across the street and is also nice. Again, location-wise, not
very good. Would have to take taxi to get to some of the tourist attractions.

The Four Seasons is located in the historical part of the city where most tourist
attractions are within walking distance. It was rated as one of the top hotels by
Conde Nast.

The hotel was part of a government building where some of the rooms were actually
prison cells, so they are somewhat small.

I would stay there than any other hotel. Its location would make up the
price for it.

Hope this helps.

Mark Fagan Mar 13th 2002 4:35 am

Expedia lists the following in the same class (5-star) as the Four Seasons:

Ceylan Intercontinental Divan Hotel - A Summit Hotel Kempinski Hotel Ciragan Palace

The first 2 both seem to be less expensive than the 4S., but you should investigate
further as to location, features, etc.

"saaraa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Would love to stay at the Four Seasons except I'm finding it hard to justify
    > the price.
    >
    > I would welcome any suggestions for the next most luxurious hotels in the same part
    > of town (I accept that Four Seasons is in a class of its own). It would need to
    > have hot water 24 hours a day (I had never considered this as criterion for
    > choosing a hotel before I read this forum), with decent bathrooms, be really clean,
    > no saggy beds.....
    >
    > Has anyone stayed at the Arena Hotel? How would you rate this hotel?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Chris Mar 13th 2002 7:05 am

"Mark Fagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > "saaraa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Would love to stay at the Four Seasons except I'm finding it hard to justify the
    > > price.
    > >
    > > I would welcome any suggestions for the next most luxurious hotels in the same
    > > part of town (I accept that Four Seasons is in a class of its own). It would need
    > > to have hot water 24 hours a day (I had never considered this as criterion for
    > > choosing a hotel before I read this forum), with decent bathrooms, be really
    > > clean, no saggy beds.....

The hot water thing is quite quaint, but really, you only shower in the morning and
night time... it's only a problem if it isn't turned on at all in the morning (for
me anyway).

Chris

Gunnar Evermann Mar 13th 2002 9:35 am

"Mark Fagan" <[email protected]> writes:

> Expedia lists the following in the same class (5-star) as the Four Seasons:
    >
    > Ceylan Intercontinental Divan Hotel - A Summit Hotel Kempinski Hotel Ciragan Palace
    >
    > The first 2 both seem to be less expensive than the 4S., but you should investigate
    > further as to location, features, etc.

I went to a banquet at the Ciragan Palace a couple of years ago and it seemed very
nice. The view of the Bosporus is fantastic.

However, I think the Four Seasons is in a different part of town.

Gunnar

Brenda Mar 14th 2002 4:05 am

The Cirigan Palace is gorgeous - right on the Bosphorus - even has a bar hanging
over the Bosphorus (look out for the cover charge, though). Is not central, but not
far & in a much quieter former sultan's palace (actually he was under house arrest
there) with incredible grounds. Even if you don't stay here, stroll the grounds at
night - magnificent arches lit up, dissappearing edge pool - truly transports you to
another time.

Stuart Wilson Mar 14th 2002 5:05 am

On 3/12/02 8:57 PM, in article [email protected],
"Heyheyyu" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Subject: Four Seasons Istanbul From: saaraa [email protected] Date: 3/12/02
    >> 5:50 AM Pacific Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >>
    >> Would love to stay at the Four Seasons except I'm finding it hard to justify
    >> the price.
    >>
    >> I would welcome any suggestions for the next most luxurious hotels in the same
    >> part of town (I accept that Four Seasons is in a class of its own). It would need
    >> to have hot water 24 hours a day (I had never considered this as criterion for
    >> choosing a hotel before I read this forum), with decent bathrooms, be really
    >> clean, no saggy beds.....
    >>
    >> Has anyone stayed at the Arena Hotel? How would you rate this hotel?
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >
    > Try the Ceylan Inter-Continental.

I second this. Me and my friends still dream about those beds - they are incredible.

> Only draw back is that it's in the newer part of the city.

It's a very pleasant walk through Taxim into the shopping district.

> Stayed there last year and they have a wonderful bar on the rooftop with a
    > magnificant view of the Maramara Sea.
    >
    > The Hyatt Regency is across the street and is also nice. Again, location-wise, not
    > very good. Would have to take taxi to get to some of the tourist attractions.

Just a hunch... Anyone staying at the Intercontinental isn't going to balk at taking
a taxi to Topkapi. However, it is a fair distance, but downhill walk to Dolmabahce
which is a must see.

saaraa Mar 17th 2002 11:54 am

Thanks so much for your replies.

Still wondering if anyone has stayed at the Arena Hotel. Also, the Eresin Crown Hotel looks quite interesting. Would really appreciate any further comments.