Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

fiance is UK citizen, can I work anywhere?

fiance is UK citizen, can I work anywhere?

Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

deeman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fiance is UK citizen, can I work anywhere?

So here's the situation... my wife to be is a UK citizen, I'm an Indian citizen and we both live in the US. We;ve been evaluating where we want to be after marriage, and one thought is Europe.

With the UK I've read enough to realize that I can apply for a spouse visa after our marriage and we can move there and I can start working whenever I get a job.

However, I'm not clear on the situation with EU countries. Is that even an option for me? or would she be the only one allowed to work and I can play golf all day
Old Sep 1st 2004, 12:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fiance is UK citizen, can I work anywhere?

Originally Posted by deeman
So here's the situation... my wife to be is a UK citizen, I'm an Indian citizen and we both live in the US. We;ve been evaluating where we want to be after marriage, and one thought is Europe.

With the UK I've read enough to realize that I can apply for a spouse visa after our marriage and we can move there and I can start working whenever I get a job.

However, I'm not clear on the situation with EU countries. Is that even an option for me? or would she be the only one allowed to work and I can play golf all day
If you are legally married, your wife can sponsor you for an 'EEA family permit' in another EU/EEA state although this will have different names in each country.

A UK spouse visa does not give you any rights elsewhere in Europe - you need to become a British citizen for this to be the case. Possible (after a few years) if you go to live in the UK, not possible if you live anywhere else in Europe. EEA family permits let you live in the country but there may be no right to long term settlement or citizenship rights.

Visit http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk for information on British immigration.

If you have a US green card then think carefully about what will happen to it if you move outside the US without becoming a US citizen (green cards can easily be lost once you no longer live in the US).

Jeremy
Old Sep 1st 2004, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

so if I understand you correctly, each EU country will have to be handled separately depending on their work visa/spouse visa requirements. Fair enough.

Here's another question. Once married lets assume we stay in the US. For me to enter the UK for visits etc, do I still apply for a spouse visa or do I just apply for a visitor visa.

Does one only apply for a spouse visa when one wants to move to the UK for atleast a couple of yrs?

Thanks

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you are legally married, your wife can sponsor you for an 'EEA family permit' in another EU/EEA state although this will have different names in each country.

A UK spouse visa does not give you any rights elsewhere in Europe - you need to become a British citizen for this to be the case. Possible (after a few years) if you go to live in the UK, not possible if you live anywhere else in Europe. EEA family permits let you live in the country but there may be no right to long term settlement or citizenship rights.

Visit http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk for information on British immigration.

If you have a US green card then think carefully about what will happen to it if you move outside the US without becoming a US citizen (green cards can easily be lost once you no longer live in the US).

Jeremy
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 1:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deeman

Here's another question. Once married lets assume we stay in the US. For me to enter the UK for visits etc, do I still apply for a spouse visa or do I just apply for a visitor visa.
Spouse visas are for those planning to live in the UK.

As an Indian citizen you need a tourist visa to visit the UK. A Green Card issued after (approx) April 1998 is apparently enough to *transit* the UK, but to visit you need a proper tourist visa. Check the detail on the UK visas website.

If you get a US passport the tourist visa requirement will not apply.

Jeremy
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 4:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Spouse visas are for those planning to live in the UK.

As an Indian citizen you need a tourist visa to visit the UK. A Green Card issued after (approx) April 1998 is apparently enough to *transit* the UK, but to visit you need a proper tourist visa. Check the detail on the UK visas website.

If you get a US passport the tourist visa requirement will not apply.

Jeremy
thanks for the feedback