Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Europe by campervan

Europe by campervan

Old Jun 27th 2014, 12:04 am
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Europe by campervan

After travelling, living in Mexico, we decided to come back to Europe, We eventually settled in Germany, after travelling living through Asia, occasionally with our expeditions truck.
Our kids we brought up over periods in Germany, so it is their 1st language.
3 speak English fluently even have the english dry sarcastic wit , the 4th speaks english has 2nd language, but not so naturally.2 speak French and spanish, another also pidgin nepales and chinese.
Learning just the 2nd language gave them confidence in conversations, and helped in their jobs.
Though they do know, that many young Europeans now have 2-3 languages, so expectations might be
higher.My wife was a foreign language translator/marketting secretary, so she could help the children.
Myself, french, German, Spanish,, but now lost my fluency in Spanish n French.On holidays I mix them
up sometimes, can be hilarious..We tried hindi and urdu, but ok for the street market, and directions,
but weve lost it now.
Weve promised each other to take Italian lessons this year , see if we still have the drive.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuchs01
Weve promised each other to take Italian lessons this year , see if we still have the drive.
Interesting. Thanks for the rundown. Good luck with Italian. During my one visit to Italy, I failed utterly to speak it even in pidgin, because my (pidgin) Spanish kept getting in the way! By contrast, my son says he finds his Spanish a great help in speaking Italian, when he's there. Go figure.

My wife and I will probably move to somewhere in Central America soon, because the cost of living is too high where we are; so we'll have to learn Spanish then. But we have found in life that a willingness to use the natives' language PLUS general goodwill goes down very well. I'm sure Euro the OP will find that too.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 2:35 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

To eurocampervan.

If your travelling through western europe, or Eu countries, there is no great admin matters to consider.
Nobody will chase you up or around.
Yes schooling is the major issue, I am sure you will get that sorted.
Health. Upto you there is enough possibilities, look not just in Uk but other countries.
Also travelling outside EU countries, Visas something to organise but no showstopper.Use the visa waiting time, to enjoy the country of
You are applying from, prevents frustration,...oh take Birth certificates, plus copies thereof.

Economics of your travel.You would know better than most, but top ups are possible, individually or as
a family.eg. Farms, vineyards, indirect and direct teaching.
Languages..just an idea..there are six of you. 2 kids take on two the other 2 kids a different 2.
1 language deep, the other secondary...but dont be forcefull, what comes along comes along.
Learning phrases, and listening to local radio, and while travelling spend time with local people, and do
a sort of language exchange, even if its a couple of hours, days or weeks.
Take postcards of where you come from.Sit down and take time for people, especially & maybe more so,
in rural areas.

Use your advantage as travellers, people love meeting families with children, more than the single.
In Europe there are many cheap or free "campingvan standplaces" use them to save money, but do
Drift into camping sites, for travel exchanges with fellow campers/travellers, plus your kids will meet
and wile away time with kids from other countries.Ask farms if you can park and use their land and facilities , anywhere but especially in the south or the further east you travel.
I dont know about UK AA., but Germany equivilant ADAC have a book on european "stehplatze"
> free or cheap 1-5night overnight camper places < many with hook up and WC.

Rasberry:- blow one to everyone who trys to ONLY opinionate the negative, and tell you how irresponsible it is. Be sure that your spouse and kids are up for it.
Make out checkpoints/opinion-changes. Be positive, teenagers are awkward,difficult and opionated, whether at home or travelling, but do listen and take in there opinions and wants.
If finances allow or pennies can be earned, put some to the side, for a short home trip, or get your parents over for a few days at a chosen location, plus the campervan you can leave on a campsite or even a trusted farm.

I am welling up, and getting envious.
Now get organising and planning, but stay flexable and true.
2 tips, enjoy your travels and meets, dont overdo the day-kilometers.
Somedays it maybe ..0..100, even 800-1000, but dont do regular +500km days after another.
Dont always stay on the same side of rivers, crisscross, with bridge, ferry or ford.
If possible invest in a campervan with higher road clearance.
Think of attachable high exhaust pipe, and traction ramps/sand ladders.You may only use them 2-4 times
but sound investment. Look at www.tracmat.com. They are in the uk.See what you need, then compare over internet.

Last edited by fuchs01; Jun 27th 2014 at 2:42 pm.