Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which EU countries have best safety net for disabled or unemployed?

Which EU countries have best safety net for disabled or unemployed?

Old Jun 15th 2020, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which EU countries have best safety net for disabled or unemployed?

Originally Posted by Ultramarine
So, which type of disability you or Moses count as 'lazy' then?
As other's confirmed, I never said that. Fact is that there are a lot of people who are lazy and could work. If someone has a disability is complete different story but this is getting ridiculous. If you would actually say what disability your friend has, you would maybe get more answers.
Old Jun 15th 2020, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ultramarine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
As other's confirmed, I never said that. Fact is that there are a lot of people who are lazy and could work. If someone has a disability is complete different story but this is getting ridiculous. If you would actually say what disability your friend has, you would maybe get more answers.
I do not have his permission to disclose that and I would be surprised if that will help to get an answer to the original question. Besides he is becoming a bit sceptical about registering on this forum TBH.

Last edited by Ultramarine; Jun 15th 2020 at 7:49 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2020, 7:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... he is becoming a bit sceptical about registering on this forum TBH.
We are sceptical that he will too.

There is an oft-repeated adage on this forum that "to get good information you have to give good information", and to that end, threads started by thirdparties, such as yourself, are usually shut down PDQ, so honestly I am surprised that your thread has lasted this long.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 15th 2020 at 7:46 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2020, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Ultramarine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We are sceptical that he will too.
Finally we agree at least on something...
Old Jun 16th 2020, 8:16 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Another question from my friend who keeps struggling with registration for on this forum.

He plans to relocate to one of EU countries, his skills allow him to find an English-spearing job pretty much anywhere but in five or ten years his medical condition may progress and make him loose a job or even unable to do any work at all leaving him to rely on the state, temporarily or permanently.

Which of EU countries provide the best quality of life for disabled or long term unemployed residents or citizens?
To return to the original question, I would say none.
Your friend would be more "comfortable" in all respects if he stayed in the UK. Whatever his handicap is - you say yourself that it may progress in the years to come and that he'd be unable to work - he'll therefore have to rely on the State. What better than the State that he's (presumably) known all his life and which speaks his language? Moving to the Continent without speaking the language, with a handicap and potentially job-less, would in fact be folly. Medical matters and Bureaucracy would be a nightmare without a good grasp of the language, and,without proof of adequate income (payslips), no landlord would accept him as a tenant. You didn't reply to my question as to how your friend planned to set up a "network" to rely on upon arrival...
No one has mentioned healthcare insurance. Be aware that an EHIC is only valid for emergency treatment for tourists, not for treating a future resident's chronic disorder. In France for example he would have to take out private health insurance from Day 1 until he's accepted into the French S.S. System after 3 months. Such insurance is also required when he applies for Residency after 3 months, together with the required proof of "minimum resources", precisely so that the applicant for residency wouldn't be a burden on the State. This applies to France - other EU countries may have different regulations.
I wish him all the best in his decision, and will say over and out.

Last edited by dmu; Jun 16th 2020 at 8:20 am.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

notxn85 is an unknown quantity at this point

NHS care? I assume you do not live here. The way things are going the waiting list for NHS care will just about level out in 5 years if there are no more epidemics. The quality of care here is appalling even when you can get it.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 5:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notxn85
NHS care? I assume you do not live here. The way things are going the waiting list for NHS care will just about level out in 5 years if there are no more epidemics. The quality of care here is appalling even when you can get it.
I do live here, and have always found NHS care exceptional (see my post above).
Old Jun 17th 2020, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
NHS care has always been amazing IME. Whether it was my mothers breast cancer (diagnosed on a Friday & operated on on a Monday), my fathers Parkinson’s or heart issues, or my own experiences (daughter born with a disability) it’s always been unbelievably good. Routine care I don’t have any experience of, but anything major and I’ve always been so glad I could avail myself of such good care (and anybody that’s never contributed a penny can too!).

Thx.
Not always by any means. My wife has had horrendous troubles, in hospital with severe dehydration - put on drip and it was just renewed when it emptied - she ended up like a Michelii Man with her skin splitting because nurses did not seem to notice. It needed doctor to phone someone in America to find out what to do. Another time she was taken to hospital and put in a ward for "observation", nearly died there as no one observed - spent 2 weeks in intensive care - and came out with kidney and heart damage. Broken ankle - told it was not broken, did not even put strapping on it, next day told it was broken and had plaster cast, next day told it was not correct cast and had plastic boot "for this type of break", next day told it was not broken and did not need the boot, then that it was, complaint was given bland and inaccurate reply. Of course the corona virus has messed things up but she was given an urgent appointment for colonoscopy as she has internal bleeding - appointment came through for a week's time - phoned up day before as all colonoscopies were cancelled for the foreseeable future, so no way of discovering if she has cancer, eventually they did a scan but said these are not as good and she would need the colonoscopy, no idea when that will be done. I had arthroscopy, cartilage trimmed -knee never did work properly until it was re-done abroad.
This is a major reason I want to emigrate, so she can have proper treatment for her mental and physical problems - which have mainly been caused by poor diagnosis, bad prescribing, cuts in services preventing treatment, and mistakes made in hospitals.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 17th 2020 at 5:41 pm. Reason: Link removed - sorry, but you cannot use BE for this.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Not everyone is lucky with NHS:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...wonky-eye.html
https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/28/nurse...idnt-12135462/
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...er-10-21372089

He asks is there an email address he can contact you to deal with the registration issues?
Cases which went wrong make it into the daily mail and similar. These are a few. Nobody writes about the successful outcome. Bad news sells.

I'm in Austria. It has a good healthcare system IF you can afford to pay for private care to complement what government care supplies. Austria since Covid lockdown has 500.000 unemployed with a population of 9 million. Consider your chance to find a job without language skills. May be your friend has a skill which is in high demand.
Disability assistance depends also on years you worked/contributed to the system.

Old Jun 18th 2020, 6:36 am
Just Joined

That,s why I would love to move back before the end of the Transition period, then the same arrangements will apply for my lifetime - pension increases yearly, medical costs covered by UK, disability benefit for my wife covered.
We are retired so jobs not the issue. We only came back to UK to look after mother in law - who died soon after we got here. We love the country, we love the friendly people, just need a bit extra so I won't need a mortgage, as I'm 71 getting one in Austria will be a bit tricky.
Got a spare couch?
Old Jun 18th 2020, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

That,s why I would love to move back before the end of the Transition period, then the same arrangements will apply for my lifetime - pension increases yearly, medical costs covered by UK, disability benefit for my wife covered.
We are retired so jobs not the issue. We only came back to UK to look after mother in law - who died soon after we got here. We love the country, we love the friendly people, just need a bit extra so I won't need a mortgage, as I'm 71 getting one in Austria will be a bit tricky.
Got a spare couch?
How my husband (he is the Brit in our family) understood is that unless you lived in an EU country at the time of Brexit (31 Jan 2020) you do not qualify for S1 cover and yearly pension increase. But you have the right to move to EU until June next year.
Better to check on this before you make a decision about Austria.
If you want more details what it is like to live in Austria, let me know.
It is very different to holidaying here.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not always by any means. My wife has had horrendous troubles, in hospital with severe dehydration - put on drip and it was just renewed when it emptied - she ended up like a Michelii Man with her skin splitting because nurses did not seem to notice. It needed doctor to phone someone in America to find out what to do. Another time she was taken to hospital and put in a ward for "observation", nearly died there as no one observed - spent 2 weeks in intensive care - and came out with kidney and heart damage. Broken ankle - told it was not broken, did not even put strapping on it, next day told it was broken and had plaster cast, next day told it was not correct cast and had plastic boot "for this type of break", next day told it was not broken and did not need the boot, then that it was, complaint was given bland and inaccurate reply. Of course the corona virus has messed things up but she was given an urgent appointment for colonoscopy as she has internal bleeding - appointment came through for a week's time - phoned up day before as all colonoscopies were cancelled for the foreseeable future, so no way of discovering if she has cancer, eventually they did a scan but said these are not as good and she would need the colonoscopy, no idea when that will be done. I had arthroscopy, cartilage trimmed -knee never did work properly until it was re-done abroad.
This is a major reason I want to emigrate, so she can have proper treatment for her mental and physical problems - which have mainly been caused by poor diagnosis, bad prescribing, cuts in services preventing treatment, and mistakes made in hospitals.
What makes you think hospitals on a national health cover are better elsewhere in Europe? Go for private care and you get better.
Once in a while I need my tear duct irrigated. On medical aid I sit in a crowded waiting area for at least 3 hours for a 15 min. treatment. To get an appointment it takes a month min. Since mid March all non-essential treatment was postponed. No different to your location.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Another question from my friend who keeps struggling with registration for on this forum.

He plans to relocate to one of EU countries, his skills allow him to find an English-spearing job pretty much anywhere but in five or ten years his medical condition may progress and make him loose a job or even unable to do any work at all leaving him to rely on the state, temporarily or permanently.

Which of EU countries provide the best quality of life for disabled or long term unemployed residents or citizens?
Quick answer, none of them, all work visas have that little clause in them that permit the host country to return you to where you came from should you become a burden on the state. I can't think of any country that will take on another national for what may become a lifetime of expensive medical and social care unless somebody else is picking up the tab.

I should add that if your mate is a UK citizen, then the UK E111 form only covers emergency medical cover while on a short visit abroad and the S1 form is now only issued to people in receipt of a UK state old-age pension; all rather a moot point once the current UK/EU trade negotiations are concluded. None of them ever covered social care.

Last edited by Cynic; Jun 18th 2020 at 8:31 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
I have lived in Austria twice, three years each. It is indeed a different country when one is resident, as I expect most countries are. Where we lived everyone was friendly and helpful, the environment was outstanding.
I have been reading this:: UK gov guidance pensions I hope I have read it correctly! As things progressed through the government last year it did get very confusing, this is the latest the website seems to have on it. As I read it I would get pension increases and my wife would get her benefits if I am resident by the end of the Transition period Let me know if you disagree with my understanding of it.
. However whether we will make that deadline is getting doubtful as once we sold up here and paid off the mortgage I am not sure we will have enough to buy where we want to live.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 9:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cynic
Quick answer, none of them, all work visas have that little clause in them that permit the host country to return you to where you came from should you become a burden on the state. I can't think of any country that will take on another national for what may become a lifetime of expensive medical and social care unless somebody else is picking up the tab. ....
But that advice would be voided if you were to qualify for citizenship ..... which in some countries might require you to actually give up your British citizenship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.