Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which EU countries have best safety net for disabled or unemployed?

Which EU countries have best safety net for disabled or unemployed?

Old Jun 12th 2020, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Ultramarine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which EU countries have best safety net for disabled or unemployed?

Another question from my friend who keeps struggling with registration for on this forum.

He plans to relocate to one of EU countries, his skills allow him to find an English-spearing job pretty much anywhere but in five or ten years his medical condition may progress and make him loose a job or even unable to do any work at all leaving him to rely on the state, temporarily or permanently.

Which of EU countries provide the best quality of life for disabled or long term unemployed residents or citizens?

Old Jun 13th 2020, 8:04 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which EU countries have best safety net for disabled or unemployed?

Originally Posted by Ultramarine
Another question from my friend who keeps struggling with registration for on this forum.

He plans to relocate to one of EU countries, his skills allow him to find an English-spearing job pretty much anywhere but in five or ten years his medical condition may progress and make him loose a job or even unable to do any work at all leaving him to rely on the state, temporarily or permanently.

Which of EU countries provide the best quality of life for disabled or long term unemployed residents or citizens?
Hi, whatever disability your friend is suffering from, he will have the extra handicap of not speaking the language of the country (assumed, as you're asking about English-speaking jobs). It's daunting to look for such a job at the best of times, esp. at present when many firms have gone bankrupt due to Covid-19, and unemployment rates are soaring, but it's doubly advisable for your friend to be able to communicate with all the Administrations, esp. when applying for any benefits available. I wouldn't recommend considering France, esp. if your friend would be working from home (?), in which case he would have to set up a French business structure (= more Bureaucracy...).
I would suggest posting in the Republic of Ireland forum to see what benefits are available, since there wouldn't be any language problem, or, if the answer isn't encouraging, the Scandinavian/Benelux forums.
Ideally he should move with someone who speaks the language of the country chosen.
HTH
Old Jun 13th 2020, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, whatever disability your friend is suffering from, he will have the extra handicap of not speaking the language of the country (assumed, as you're asking about English-speaking jobs).
Well, after five or so years in a country he will have certain ability to speak the local language.

Originally Posted by dmu
It's daunting to look for such a job at the best of times, esp. at present when many firms have gone bankrupt due to Covid-19, and unemployment rates are soaring
Indeed but the situation with the Brexit transition period leaves him with very little choice.

Originally Posted by dmu
I would suggest posting in the Republic of Ireland forum to see what benefits are available, since there wouldn't be any language problem, or, if the answer isn't encouraging
Well, I have heard Republic of Ireland is even harsher to those who are unable to work than the UK. But feel free to prove me wrong if I am.

Is there a comparison chart on which percentage of GDP EU countries spend on social care?

Last edited by Ultramarine; Jun 13th 2020 at 8:47 am.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 9:18 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Well, after five or so years in a country he will have certain ability to speak the local language.

Indeed but the situation with the Brexit transition period leaves him with very little choice.

Well, I have heard Republic of Ireland is even harsher to those who are unable to work than the UK. But feel free to prove me wrong if I am.

Is there a comparison chart on which percentage of GDP EU countries spend on social care?
- Fair enough, but it's upon arrival in the country and getting settled, where you need to understand the language.
- Can't comment, but be aware that the economic situation in Continental Europe is dire..
- Ask on the Ireland forum where people can advise from experience.
- No idea
Sorry that my answers aren't what you were hoping for, but I'm being realistic and your friend should be aware of all the pitfalls he'd have to face. Fore-warned is fore-armed....
Old Jun 13th 2020, 8:26 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming your friend has some legal status in the UK, it may be safest to remain there, given that NHS care (as well as some degree of social care and benefits) is and will remain guaranteed, potentially for the rest of his/her life?
Imagine being a ward of the state in a place where you have few or no friends, a limited "network", and don't speak the language?
Old Jun 13th 2020, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

For him it is best to stay in the UK if that is possible.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
Assuming your friend has some legal status in the UK, it may be safest to remain there, given that NHS care (as well as some degree of social care and benefits) is and will remain guaranteed, potentially for the rest of his/her life?
The quality of NHS care is below any reasonable standard but only those with health issues had a chance to notice that. And somehow NHS became a sacred cow, no one dares to criticise it. Just one example - https://www.researchgate.net/publica...tus_of_the_NHS. And the same applies to British social care. And that is one of the reasons why he looks to move to the continent.

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
Imagine being a ward of the state in a place where you have few or no friends, a limited "network", and don't speak the language?
Well, necessity to rely on a network of friends is an indication that something is broken in health and/or social care. As to language, English is a world language, so some communication is always possible. Plus he will surely learn the local language to some extent.

Last edited by Ultramarine; Jun 13th 2020 at 8:56 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 9:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

NHS care has always been amazing IME. Whether it was my mothers breast cancer (diagnosed on a Friday & operated on on a Monday), my fathers Parkinson’s or heart issues, or my own experiences (daughter born with a disability) it’s always been unbelievably good. Routine care I don’t have any experience of, but anything major and I’ve always been so glad I could avail myself of such good care (and anybody that’s never contributed a penny can too!).

Anyway, you say your friend is having issues registering, do you know what the problem is? Please ask him/her to contact Site Admin to get it sorted so you’re not acting as a go between for questions/advice.

Thx.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 9:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, there’s a second account under your details - would that be your friends? It’s not been used for a while but if that’s it, just ask him/her to reset his/her password and that should do it.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 13th 2020 at 9:09 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
NHS care has always been amazing IME. Whether it was my mothers breast cancer (diagnosed on a Friday & operated on on a Monday), my fathers Parkinson’s or heart issues, or my own experiences (daughter born with a disability) it’s always been unbelievably good. Routine care I don’t have any experience of, but anything major and I’ve always been so glad I could avail myself of such good care (and anybody that’s never contributed a penny can too!).
Not everyone is lucky with NHS:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...wonky-eye.html
https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/28/nurse...idnt-12135462/
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...er-10-21372089

Anyway, you say your friend is having issues registering, do you know what the problem is? Please ask him/her to contact Site Admin to get it sorted so you’re not acting as a go between for questions/advice.

Thx.
He asks is there an email address he can contact you to deal with the registration issues?

Last edited by Ultramarine; Jun 13th 2020 at 9:48 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Actually, there’s a second account under your details - would that be your friends? It’s not been used for a while but if that’s it, just ask him/her to reset his/her password and that should do it.

HTH.
No, that is probably me. I remember it took me several attempts to register but it worked at the end. But I am happy to keep being his representative on this forum for a while.

Last edited by Ultramarine; Jun 13th 2020 at 9:53 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 8:29 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, necessity to rely on a network of friends is an indication that something is broken in health and/or social care. As to language, English is a world language, so some communication is always possible. Plus he will surely learn the local language to some extent.
Not at all.
The French Health System is excellent, but you need family and friends to help with the nitty-gritty when you're at home with any type of handicap. Carers are provided for hygiene and dressing, but not for housework/shopping/cooking. Without such a "network", built up over several years if your family is far away (for example my nearest since my OH died is 600 km away and couldn't come at the drop of a hat), you'd be lost. To build up a "network", you first have to make acquaintances who turn into friends willing and able to help. How would your friend plan to make English-speaking acquaintances likely to turn into such friends? This takes time....
- True that most Europeans learn English as a first language, some better than others (Dutch, Scandinavians, ...) but even fluent medical staff would prefer to speak in their own language to avoid misunderstandings.
- How old is your friend? The older you get, the more difficult it is to learn another language and conversational expressions wouldn't get far when face to face with a civil servant in an Administration or with an official letter to act upon. If your friend applies for benefits, he must be able to cope with all the extra paperwork involved (in addition to all the other formalities)..
If your friend isn't able to post directly (and I sympathize, as I suffer from illectronism), he might like to dictate his thoughts to you. We haven't had much feedback from him, only your own comments. It might also help if we know what disability he is suffering from. Others in the same situation will be able to advise better.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 9:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

He asks is there an email address he can contact you to deal with the registration issues?
Yes, it's on the bottom of every forum page, just hit the 'Contact Us' tab.

No, that is probably me. I remember it took me several attempts to register but it worked at the end. But I am happy to keep being his representative on this forum for a while.
No, this person posted quite a bit too. And sorry, but you can't keep being 'his representative', he needs to join up himself and ask his own questions please.

Thx.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 5:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's on the bottom of every forum page, just hit the 'Contact Us' tab.

No, this person posted quite a bit too. And sorry, but you can't keep being 'his representative', he needs to join up himself and ask his own questions please.

Thx.
I wish his friend would join for himself, I don't know if it's just me but I'm very confused.
Old Jun 15th 2020, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

His imaginary friend ? I suspect he is inquiring on his own behalf.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.