Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

ESL course in U.K

ESL course in U.K

Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:26 am
Just Joined

orchardroad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ESL course in U.K

Hi guys, I'm planning to take up ESL course or training in U.K. Afterwards, plan to teach English in Korea or China. Any suggestions where in U.K can I enroll this course and how much? Some schools in Korea are looking for native speaker or if you're a graduate in a University like US, UK etc. Thanks!
Old Apr 29th 2014, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Sir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really nice
Default Re: ESL course in U.K

Originally Posted by orchardroad
Hi guys, I'm planning to take up ESL course or training in U.K. Afterwards, plan to teach English in Korea or China. Any suggestions where in U.K can I enroll this course and how much? Some schools in Korea are looking for native speaker or if you're a graduate in a University like US, UK etc. Thanks!
I did an ESL teacher training course years ago with International House. I assume they still exist - their office was in C London. Try google.

It was a 4-week job. Hard work too.

But you a) learn an awful lot about English itself - I had been told by students that I was a good teacher before doing the course, and i believed it. After actually doing the course, I realised that was not true, or at least I knew I was a darned sight better teacher after it than before

b) you learn a whole lot of skills - which I still put into practice when presenting/teaching (though I have not taught English for years.)

They were an excellent organisation - excellent, dedicated people, with a high ethical standard. I assume they still exist, though the founders must have passed on, I'd guess. I met them once.

My wife also did a course, and said it greatly raised her self awareness.

I thoroughly recommend it. HlFL
Old Apr 29th 2014, 3:18 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sir Harry le Fise Lake
I did an ESL teacher training course years ago with International House. I assume they still exist - their office was in C London. Try google.

It was a 4-week job. Hard work too.

But you a) learn an awful lot about English itself - I had been told by students that I was a good teacher before doing the course, and i believed it. After actually doing the course, I realised that was not true, or at least I knew I was a darned sight better teacher after it than before

b) you learn a whole lot of skills - which I still put into practice when presenting/teaching (though I have not taught English for years.)

They were an excellent organisation - excellent, dedicated people, with a high ethical standard. I assume they still exist, though the founders must have passed on, I'd guess. I met them once.

My wife also did a course, and said it greatly raised her self awareness.

I thoroughly recommend it. HlFL
Sir Harry is right my OH did a CELTA with International House last year and said all the same things after the course. They are here:

http://www.ihlondon.com/
Old May 1st 2014, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Sir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really nice

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Sir Harry is right my OH did a CELTA with International House last year and said all the same things after the course. They are here:

http://www.ihlondon.com/
That's very good to hear, Garbatellamike.

Actually, I realise on re-reading that I didn't make my points properly !

What I meant to say in the first point was:

But you a) learn an awful lot about English itself - things that you take for granted, and do not even notice non-native speakers have trouble with. In fact, you then see when native speakers don't understand their own language properly.

eg the common use of "less" when you should say "few" for a countable noun, or understanding when you say "he was" and "he has been". Fine points in a language, perhaps, but they make a difference to meaning.

This has certainly helped me express myself better. (except, perhaps, in this post !

HlFL
Old May 1st 2014, 11:19 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sir Harry le Fise Lake
That's very good to hear, Garbatellamike.

Actually, I realise on re-reading that I didn't make my points properly !

What I meant to say in the first point was:

But you a) learn an awful lot about English itself - things that you take for granted, and do not even notice non-native speakers have trouble with. In fact, you then see when native speakers don't understand their own language properly.

eg the common use of "less" when you should say "few" for a countable noun, or understanding when you say "he was" and "he has been". Fine points in a language, perhaps, but they make a difference to meaning.

This has certainly helped me express myself better. (except, perhaps, in this post !

HlFL
less and fewer actually not less and few but exactly right
Old May 5th 2014, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

I guess you will know that neither Korea nor China actually require you to have these certificates? They also don't make a major different to salaries. I got a raise of 200RMB in my Chinese university job after I did CELTA~~~

BTW, if you're thinking about working in a university, here is a rough guide of salaries (i.e. mine): 6600RMB/month, free accommodation & the chance to take part in some workshops and camps. This is for 14 hours of teaching time (of course you need to prepare but if you're on the ball that only takes about 2.5 hours/week).

Of course you won't get rich teaching at a uni in China, but you can do loads with your spare time. I'm normally finished work at 1145 and then I'm free for the rest of the day.