Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

doggie travel question

doggie travel question

Old Sep 17th 2011, 3:31 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: doggie travel question

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
If the authorities try and send you off to a french Vet will they give you an address or does one have to scout around yourself? Will they take pounds or is it only Euros?
Thanks

Looking seriously at India Paris then train to Calais, is there one station from Paris at Calais that links to the Chunnel or do you have to change?
Hi, as suspected in an earlier thread,
http://www.road-addict.com/?p=175
confirms that only guide dogs are allowed on Eurostar, the train that passes through the Chunnel (which is direct from Paris to Ashford and beyond.)
But if you're thinking of travelling by train to Calais, then catching a ferry, you can take your dog on the train (paying half the price of a 2nd class ticket). There are several direct TGVs from Paris (Gare du Nord) to Calais Centre (google Voyages-SNCF for time-tables). Some one who has done this before or who lives in the area can tell you how to get from the Centre to the Port, and how far out of the centre of town the port is, but I imagine that there aren't any vets in the port area. You'd have to organise your time-schedule to take in an appointment (google "Pages Jaunes", then Vétérinaires - Calais for lists) to validate your dog's papers in Calais Centre, or at a vet's in Paris near the Gare du Nord (idem, but Paris 10ème) just before you leave.
No idea whether French vets in ferry ports accept pounds, elsewhere they certainly wouldn't....
Hope this helps!
PS to Domino - French francs aren't legal currency any more!!!
PPS I've just checked and am sorry to say that
http://www.chiens-admis.be/html/transports.html
states that foot passengers on ferries aren't allowed to take dogs on board, as they have to remain in the owners' cars...
I'm afraid that you'll have to go to the UK by air or by car...

Last edited by dmu; Sep 17th 2011 at 3:50 pm. Reason: Later PS
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:56 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, as suspected in an earlier thread,
http://www.road-addict.com/?p=175
confirms that only guide dogs are allowed on Eurostar, the train that passes through the Chunnel (which is direct from Paris to Ashford and beyond.)
But if you're thinking of travelling by train to Calais, then catching a ferry, you can take your dog on the train (paying half the price of a 2nd class ticket). There are several direct TGVs from Paris (Gare du Nord) to Calais Centre (google Voyages-SNCF for time-tables). Some one who has done this before or who lives in the area can tell you how to get from the Centre to the Port, and how far out of the centre of town the port is, but I imagine that there aren't any vets in the port area. You'd have to organise your time-schedule to take in an appointment (google "Pages Jaunes", then Vétérinaires - Calais for lists) to validate your dog's papers in Calais Centre, or at a vet's in Paris near the Gare du Nord (idem, but Paris 10ème) just before you leave.
No idea whether French vets in ferry ports accept pounds, elsewhere they certainly wouldn't....
Hope this helps!
PS to Domino - French francs aren't legal currency any more!!!
PPS I've just checked and am sorry to say that
http://www.chiens-admis.be/html/transports.html
states that foot passengers on ferries aren't allowed to take dogs on board, as they have to remain in the owners' cars...
I'm afraid that you'll have to go to the UK by air or by car...
yeah like I didnt know that
does France still have prices dual marked with FF and euro as Spain does with the peseta and euro ?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http:/...q2G6pnFIvEg24w

The Spanish are still retaining 1,713 million euros in unredeemed peseta coins and notes, an amount that could purchase all the shares of the Spanish Stock Exchanges and Markets (BME), the “holding” that brings together the four Spanish Stock Exchanges, according to provisional data from the Bank of Spain.
Not bad for a "poor people".

So if the Spanish are still holding all that money for "sentimental reasons" and if the French who have banknotes of the current series (as of euro changeover) to be exchanged have until 17 February 2012, exactly how much do the French hold out there ??
Old Sep 17th 2011, 6:47 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

We had to exchange all our French francs long ago and I believe the Banque de France hasn't accepted exchanging them for some time.
There's no dual pricing in the shops any more, but no one really wants to convert back into FFs, it would hurt too much. E.g. a baguette now costs the equivalent of nearly 7 FF, ouch!
Now, back to the OP's original topic....
Old Sep 18th 2011, 11:51 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

thanks folks for the Euros FF GBP debate . Will take some Euros.
If I land in Paris I assume that if the dog is released, not sure how tough they are but if I have done all the things rabies tape worm etc and bimble on the train with a view to jump in mates car who comes to France through the tunnel to meet me, it will only be the UK authorities to worry about as I head to the UK not the French or have I missed something. Are the UK folk with the IOs at coquelles or over the other side in the UK.

Golly this is complex wish we could just fly straight to the UK
Old Sep 18th 2011, 12:45 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

that's a solution, get a friend to come over to Calais by car to meet you at the railway station and take you and your dog back to the UK.
Fingers crossed that you won't have any problems passing through the Paris airport.
The last time I looked on the DEFRA site, the European Commission hadn't made a decision about worming, but, even with the rabies regulations being less strict as from next January, it seems probable that you'll still need to visit a French vet for a certified worming treatment a short time before leaving France for the UK.
I've no idea where the UK Officials for car travellers are. If you post on the France forum, you may have more response. For the Eurostar, UK Passport Control and Security are located in the Gare du Nord, but then the train is often direct and doesn't always stop before Ashford, if then. (This is for general info, as you yourself can't take it with your dog).
Old Sep 19th 2011, 4:21 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dmu
that's a solution, get a friend to come over to Calais by car to meet you at the railway station and take you and your dog back to the UK.
Fingers crossed that you won't have any problems passing through the Paris airport.
The last time I looked on the DEFRA site, the European Commission hadn't made a decision about worming, but, even with the rabies regulations being less strict as from next January, it seems probable that you'll still need to visit a French vet for a certified worming treatment a short time before leaving France for the UK.
I've no idea where the UK Officials for car travellers are. If you post on the France forum, you may have more response. For the Eurostar, UK Passport Control and Security are located in the Gare du Nord, but then the train is often direct and doesn't always stop before Ashford, if then. (This is for general info, as you yourself can't take it with your dog).
thanks for that - from my research I take it you do not need worming treatment to enter France but only the UK and that is given 24 - 48 hours prior to entry so could be done prior to departure in India.

Oh of only there was a direct route- all seems daft to allow the pets to come but not to have any direct routes to bring them!!
Old Sep 19th 2011, 5:04 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
thanks for that - from my research I take it you do not need worming treatment to enter France but only the UK and that is given 24 - 48 hours prior to entry so could be done prior to departure in India.

Oh of only there was a direct route- all seems daft to allow the pets to come but not to have any direct routes to bring them!!
Hi, I noticed that you've posted in the France forum and hope that some one who's done it will come along with info about where you'll come across all the various Authorities.
I think I researched for you in the past re entering the UK with a pet coming from outside the EU. Unless it has changed since, you must have your Indian Pet's Papers validated by an approved EU (e.g. French, Belgian, Dutch,...) vet before being able to enter the UK.
P.S. Just checked:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...ted-countries/
Scroll down to the appropriate section for info.

Last edited by dmu; Sep 19th 2011 at 5:23 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 12:34 pm
Back from India

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, I noticed that you've posted in the France forum and hope that some one who's done it will come along with info about where you'll come across all the various Authorities.
I think I researched for you in the past re entering the UK with a pet coming from outside the EU. Unless it has changed since, you must have your Indian Pet's Papers validated by an approved EU (e.g. French, Belgian, Dutch,...) vet before being able to enter the UK.
P.S. Just checked:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...ted-countries/
Scroll down to the appropriate section for info.
Yes everything will change come Jan 1st so comes in line with eurpoe , just no direct flights to the UK from India, well none on the list as yet!!
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

The vet's stamps and signatures still need to be dated not less then 24 hours before the actual travel to the U.K. , be it Le Shuttle or a ferry , whatever...
Could be a nice day to spend around Calais , Boulogne or Dunkerque ?

( And stock up on wine , which in England now costs 3-fold the usual French supermarket prices , an insult to any intelligence left , combined with the World-ultimate in wine-snobbery ! )
Old Sep 24th 2011, 5:26 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray51
The vet's stamps and signatures still need to be dated not less then 24 hours before the actual travel to the U.K. , be it Le Shuttle or a ferry , whatever...
Could be a nice day to spend around Calais , Boulogne or Dunkerque ?

( And stock up on wine , which in England now costs 3-fold the usual French supermarket prices , an insult to any intelligence left , combined with the World-ultimate in wine-snobbery ! )
just bought a couple of bottles of plonk from local (UK) Lidl for £2.99 each. Not the best in the world, but I didnt expect it to be as once you take out the fixed duty, packaging delivery etc there is only a few pence left for the wine itself. But drinkable.

Luckily the dog doesn't drink wine - yet !
Old Sep 24th 2011, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Yeah ,
like the non-descript 2010 Bordeaux my Lidl in Surrey sells ( plenty of ) @3,69 sterling/bottle , the likes of which costs around 1,59-1,89 Euros in many an EU-country , where the VAT is usually higher than in U.K. !
Old Sep 24th 2011, 6:22 pm

Yeah ,
like the non-descript 2010 Bordeaux my Lidl in Surrey sells ( plenty of ) @3,69 sterling/bottle , the likes of which costs around 1,59-1,89 Euros in many an EU-country , where the VAT is usually higher than in U.K. !
remember hearing about people who take their bottle(s) to the shop and get refills, along with a jug or two.
would send HMRC into fits .........
Old Oct 27th 2011, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Fairley is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah , in some 3 weeks' time I do that one again , shame about the queues in Calais but at least I can rest in the car those 35-40 mins , resting and getting my act together ( after I've raided Carrefour and , maybe Lidl ) .
Should I fill up in France or in U.K. ?
( About 1,40 Euros/l for 95 super here today , maybe less , if you know , where to go )
I have done the boat thing many times and find Dunkerque to be the best route.It is a slightly longer crossing but insignificant. My cocker spaniel loves the car and I am sure just sleeps through it all. I am however trying to find a way to speed up the trip and would be interested to know of an airline that will accept dogs going back in to London from the South of France. I think the TGV to Paris is the only way of going by train with the dog. I don't believe it goes to Brussels anymore (with the car that is).
Old Oct 27th 2011, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Fairley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fairley
I have done the boat thing many times and find Dunkerque to be the best route.It is a slightly longer crossing but insignificant. My cocker spaniel loves the car and I am sure just sleeps through it all. I am however trying to find a way to speed up the trip and would be interested to know of an airline that will accept dogs going back in to London from the South of France. I think the TGV to Paris is the only way of going by train with the dog. I don't believe it goes to Brussels anymore (with the car that is).
About the petrol, it is cheaper to buy in the UK.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Fairley
About the petrol, it is cheaper to buy in the UK.
not in Spain it isnt
(for the pedants - not my part of Spain)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.