Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you really want to move abroad?

Do you really want to move abroad?

Old Jul 29th 2009, 10:09 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you really want to move abroad?

Originally Posted by SteveandGalina View Post
Punting for trade? I wish I was that wealthy! Actually I am an out of work ex IT Consultant who has travelled a lot!

Currently live mainly in Malta but have a small summer house in Hungary.

I wanted to send a message to one particular Expat but was informed that I couldn't do this until I had posted three times - didn't know whether this meant I had to start my own post or simply reply to others so I wrote three quick articles and was amazed that someone would immediately tell me that what I was saying about South Africa was a load of rubbish when in fact I have spent a couple of years there during several visits over the past six or seven years.

I repeat that I can only report from my own experiences and although many people told me how dangerous South Africa can be I have perhaps been fortunate in that I have never been affected by it (touch wood).

I have friends in South Africa who tell me that a lot of the black population say they were financially better off under apartheid because at least jobs were available. And nt many of them want to maove away- mainly the young ones who don't see any job prospects.

And I don't apprciate it when people who have no experience of the place tell me that I am crazy and my post is 'a joke'.

I also don't appreciate it when people make stupid statements about my reasons for posting on Expats - if you make the rules that people can't communicate until they have made three posts then don't criticise them when they do.

I am really not that concerned what you think of me JDR, I am sure that I will never need your help and you will certainly never need mine.

Enjoy your life in sunny Spain and stop making false accusations!

:-)
I don't believe that anybody criticised you for making three posts but this is an open forum and members are allowed to contradict, question and disagree with what another member has to say on any particular topic - providing that they stay within the site rules of course.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

SteveandGalina is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Lorna - you seem like a Moderate moderator!

But I think that if you read some of the previous comments mention was made of me being some sort of money broker touting for business!!

I don't think that that sort of comment is warranted!
Old Jul 29th 2009, 10:44 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Lorna - you seem like a Moderate moderator!

But I think that if you read some of the previous comments mention was made of me being some sort of money broker touting for business!!

I don't think that that sort of comment is warranted!
I read all of the posts. Please remember that moderators are firstly members of the site and can join in with any discussion and give their own personal opinions.

If there are any posts that you (and all other members) think go against the site rules then that particular post can be reported by clicking on the little blue icon on the left hand side and a moderator will act upon it accordingly if necessary.

Just a little tip - there are many people on these forums from all walks of life and not everybody agrees with everybody and not everybody shares the same sense of humour and wit. What one person finds sarcastically funny might be offensive to somebody else and sometimes a thicker skin is needed but don't be discouraged as these forums are also a wonderful place to ask for advice, tips, help, getting the right information, share a joke in English and give advice in return.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Lorna, I do understand.

I only joined expats because we are currently in Hungary and were looking for other British people to get information from.

I'll certainly be careful what I write in the future!

Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:58 pm
born to be mild

mazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy View Post
No ..... I'm not
and
Yes ... I can

So would you like me to move this to the SA forum so you can get some "more informed" comment?
Go mitzy!!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I totally agree,

Go Mitzy, just how far can you go exactly?

:-))
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:05 pm
born to be mild

mazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nicemazz1 is just really nice

Yes, I totally agree,

So on a brighter note ...how is hungary??
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:11 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I totally agree,

Oh I can go all the way
On a brighter note, you may have your own Hungarian section later on
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Probably as many mozzies as you have in Sweden but luckily the small electric plug in anti mosquito dongle (I'm a computer man) seems to keep most of them out - unfortunately my wife like fresh air so we have to have windows and doors open most of the time!

We spend most of our year in Malta and it's really hot there at the moment, 40 degrees according to friends, so we are really glad we decided to spend the summer here.

It's a quiet place, plenty of touristy restaurants - although prices seem very reasonable - around four pounds sterling for a decent size pizza or a plate of pasta and around eight or nine for a more substantial main course - chicken, as always, is the cheaper choice (around five quid or a little more).

Many hot water spa's- all advertised as 'world famous' but names that I had never heard of before coming here - but never the less they are pleasant and very reasonably priced - what gives you the idea that I am into good value for money!!

Property prices are, of course, amongst the cheapest in civilised Europe and apparently it's reasonably safe here - I am amazed at just how much stuff is left out overnight in people's gardens - I even left my car door unlocked the other night with a 200 Forint note clearly visible on the passenger seat (it's only 0.60p but even so) and it survived - maybe nobody noticed it!!

So, all in all quite impressed - but winters here are cold so I am not sure that I would wish to stay here twelve months of the year!

Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the good news Mitzyboy I am sure that many people will be happy with that!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:04 pm
born to be mild

Probably as many mozzies as you have in Sweden but luckily the small electric plug in anti mosquito dongle (I'm a computer man) seems to keep most of them out - unfortunately my wife like fresh air so we have to have windows and doors open most of the time!

We spend most of our year in Malta and it's really hot there at the moment, 40 degrees according to friends, so we are really glad we decided to spend the summer here.

It's a quiet place, plenty of touristy restaurants - although prices seem very reasonable - around four pounds sterling for a decent size pizza or a plate of pasta and around eight or nine for a more substantial main course - chicken, as always, is the cheaper choice (around five quid or a little more).

Many hot water spa's- all advertised as 'world famous' but names that I had never heard of before coming here - but never the less they are pleasant and very reasonably priced - what gives you the idea that I am into good value for money!!

Property prices are, of course, amongst the cheapest in civilised Europe and apparently it's reasonably safe here - I am amazed at just how much stuff is left out overnight in people's gardens - I even left my car door unlocked the other night with a 200 Forint note clearly visible on the passenger seat (it's only 0.60p but even so) and it survived - maybe nobody noticed it!!

So, all in all quite impressed - but winters here are cold so I am not sure that I would wish to stay here twelve months of the year!

yep, contrary to most peoples beliefs in england we have long hot summers here and with the heat come the mozzies...we have screens on all our windows.Cost of living here is through the roof but on the flip side crime is very low.We have a boat at the marina up the road and there is a 50 krona charge for using the ramps.... I was shocked to see that while the office was unattended people that had used the facilities and had not only been honest enough to pay, but had actually left their bank details on the notice board so that when the office opened their bank account could be debited.Winters are bloody freezing but very pretty and everything still seems to function despite the snow all in all it has been a good move for us and after many years of itchy feet i think we will be here a while.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry but I am a bit of a sun person - don't like oppressive heat but I certainly couldn't stand the cold winters, also the hours of darkness during winter would be a large put off.

It's amazing what one doesn't think about - I always realised that Northern Countries had long summer days (and obviously conversely short winter days) but what I never thought about was the fact that long sunny days means that the heat just builds up and up! So by four in the afternoon it's really warm! And you have had just about enough of it.

I spent a year working in Oz a while ago and soon realised that they change their clocks at the same time as Europe so they have seven months of winter time and believe me I soon got fed up of leaving work in the dark! And working in Adelaide the winter was very wet and the summer extremely hot - amazingly it seemed that the hottest part of the day was around 5 pm!! Just in time for home and out of the office air conditioning!

Just shows you that one's idea of a country isn't always correct.