Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dialysis with the EHIC in Europe

Dialysis with the EHIC in Europe

Old Sep 27th 2018, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dialysis with the EHIC in Europe

I had a successful "Holiday Dialysis" using my EHIC in Dresden in July. Now looking at Portugal and while I still can - Bulgaria. in 2019. i lived and worked in Bulgaria from 1991 until 2008 and that country is still close to my heart. I have family there and would dearly like to see them - including a new grandson i have not yet met/

Last edited by scot47; Sep 27th 2018 at 8:04 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dialysis with the EHIC in Europe

I also have good memories from my short stay in Sofia in the early 80’s. Unfortunately, I didn’t stay long enough to get immersed in the culture as Scot47. While my friend went on a day trip to visit the Rila Monastary, I opted to stay in the city and spend the day at the Dimitrov mausoleum. My fascination with dead communists got the better of my good sense. I do remember Schweppes and yogurt at every corner of the city.

Last edited by Richard8655; Oct 2nd 2018 at 9:53 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2018, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Booked for 6 sessions on dialysis in Portugal with my EHIC.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dialysis went well at the clinic in Faro. Slicker and more up-to-date than the clinic I regularly visit in Greenock.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 6:48 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
The Dialysis went well at the clinic in Faro. Slicker and more up-to-date than the clinic I regularly visit in Greenock.
Great stuff - that's useful to know.

Did it take much by way of organisation or was that side of things very straightforward?
Old Jan 11th 2019, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

it needed a bit of organisation
Old Jan 29th 2019, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://www.thelocal.fr/20190129/no-...QUBEkZigYYbVOc

What have they done ?
Old Apr 20th 2019, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now that the new BREXIT date is 31 October I am emboldened to make another Holiday Dialysis booking, "Urlaubsdialyse" in the Federal Land of Thuringia or perhaps Mecklenburg/Lower Pomerania. My informants in the NHS Scotland tell me that provided I book before 31 October , EHIC will pay.

If there is a catastrophic No-deal Brexit, who knows ?
Old Nov 1st 2019, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I now hear that most dialysis clinics in the other 27 EU states will accept bookings until December 2020. Wading through the paperwork and application forms to go to Bulgaria in the Spring.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I can only offer you my crystal ball, Scot, which may or may not work perfectly. But on precedential experience, you're probably going to be fine
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Crystal Ball reeks of witchcraft. But thanks for the intervention.
Old Nov 8th 2019, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"Sources" yell me that at the moment it is OK to use EHIC to book dialysis in EU until the end of calendar Year 2020. That could change.
Old Nov 10th 2019, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

"Sources" yell me that at the moment it is OK to use EHIC to book dialysis in EU until the end of calendar Year 2020. That could change.
But not if there is a "no deal" exit on Jan 31, 2020 based on info at UK Vienna embassy talk a few weeks ago.
Let's keep fingers crossed it won't happen.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am told that if I book a place now to go on "Holiday Dialysis" before December 2020, payment will be honoured. Will try it. This may be my only hope to see my grandchildren before I head off to join the Great Spirit in the Sky.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 5:15 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I am told that if I book a place now to go on "Holiday Dialysis" before December 2020, payment will be honoured. Will try it. This may be my only hope to see my grandchildren before I head off to join the Great Spirit in the Sky.
Fingers crossed Scot. I'm assuming the info you got about booking and paying now from some sort of official source - perhaps a good idea to write down as many details as you can, such as the time and date of the conversation, the name of the person you were talking with, and the information they gave you. Hopefully you won't need it but always better to prepare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.