Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Details needed to open a Spanish account

Details needed to open a Spanish account

Old Sep 8th 2004, 2:20 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Details needed to open a Spanish account

Barclays in Spain isn't part of Barclays. I know that doesn't make sense but they just have the right to use the Barclays Logo and are not part of the bank itself.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 3:23 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
Barclays in Spain isn't part of Barclays. I know that doesn't make sense but they just have the right to use the Barclays Logo and are not part of the bank itself.

well that explains a lot....................
Old Sep 9th 2004, 6:58 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

That must make it a legal counterfeit
Nearly as bad as the looky looky men....
Old Sep 9th 2004, 1:58 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the looky looky men. Nowhere here to buy your rip off sunglasses and bags and I love a good haggle over dinner.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 6:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the looky looky men. Nowhere here to buy your rip off sunglasses and bags and I love a good haggle over dinner.
I could always ship some over....
Old Sep 10th 2004, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

Spanish banking rules and practices are quite seperate from the UK. All Spanish banks will come under the regualtions set by Madrid and not the Governor of the Bank of England. So any bank operating in Spain must be a Spanish legally registered one. For example, HALIFAX in UK does have a Spanish counterpart with head office in Madrid but it is a Spanish bank affiliated to Halfax UK. Halifax Spain has its own web site http://www.halifax.es/ for further knowledge.

It is NOT true that Banco Santander Central Hispano has bought ABBEY NATIONAL as reported above. they have made an offer which was accepted by Abbey board, however the deal has not yet been accepted by shareholders. At the moment it looks reasonably likely that the take over of Abbey will go through in a few weeks time.

Choosing a bank in Spain depends very much on local requirements and the shape and face of the branch. For some people, being able to access their account on line is important. Spanish banks are improving their internet access and for example BBVA now has English internet pages as well as Spanish dialects. I have found BBVA to be improving all the time and never experienced any problem. There are several other Spanish banks that perform well.

opening an account as a UK resident is very easy and can normally be accomplished within a week or so. A single piece of paper declaring your NON resident status is signed. This enables a Non resident account to be opened, which can later be converted into a resident account when this is finalised.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Nett is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Details needed to open a Spanish account

I don't know if we were just lucky! but we just walked into Bank of Andalusia Roquetes De Mar,there was an English speaking manager there, we told them that we wanted to open an account as we were looking to purchase a house in Spain and we would need it to transfer funds...
They required our home address, work details in England 50 euros to put in account to open it and 15 minutes later we had a bank account.
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

britsinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nett
I don't know if we were just lucky! but we just walked into Bank of Andalusia Roquetes De Mar,there was an English speaking manager there, we told them that we wanted to open an account as we were looking to purchase a house in Spain and we would need it to transfer funds...
They required our home address, work details in England 50 euros to put in account to open it and 15 minutes later we had a bank account.

You will need your passport, UK and Spanish address if you do not have your NIE or Residents card. Most Spanish banks will open an account with 0 euros, and will generally only provide you with an ATM machine, you can apply for a debit card but some banks wish to see a history first.
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

kathml is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britsinspain
You will need your passport, UK and Spanish address if you do not have your NIE or Residents card. Most Spanish banks will open an account with 0 euros, and will generally only provide you with an ATM machine, you can apply for a debit card but some banks wish to see a history first.
As you will get charged for everything don't think you will have an account with a zero balance for long
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

britsinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kathml
As you will get charged for everything don't think you will have an account with a zero balance for long
so true!!!