Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help - Online Ordering of Postal Orders or Cheques in Pounds

Help - Online Ordering of Postal Orders or Cheques in Pounds

Old Jun 25th 2017, 12:31 am
Just Joined

RedPhoenix is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Help - Online Ordering of Postal Orders or Cheques in Pounds

Hello, does anyone know of an online service where you can order valid cheques in pounds or a royal mail postal order outside of the UK? (More precisely in Belgium)

My Belgian bank no longer offers foreign currency cheques and I don't have a UK bank account.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 3:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - Online Ordering of Postal Orders or Cheques in Pounds

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
.... My Belgian bank no longer offers foreign currency cheques and I don't have a UK bank account. ....
That seems improbable in an increasingly connected world that a bank would cease to offer foreign currency cashiers checks. Are you certain they can't be ordered "from head office", which is what I hear banks in the UK are now doing? I wouldn't take "no" until I had seen it in writing as a corporate policy.

Smaller banks typically outsource things like that to a larger bank, in the same way that smaller banks don't issue their own credit cards or buy-in foreign banknotes only in response to a specific order for foreign cash. I simply don't believe that a bank would not provide such a service for their clients.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 25th 2017 at 3:42 am.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

RedPhoenix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help - Online Ordering of Postal Orders or Cheques in Pounds

I have written to them and they wrote back me that they no longer offer cheques in foreign currencies. I think the thing is that the banks, at least in Belgium, want to phase out cheques and move everything to IBAN/cards/mobile payment solutions. They even told me to check out Western Union and similar services, but they only offer payment transfers in my knowledge.

As for a solution, I thought that it might be possible to order cheques online from somewhere.