Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Czechoslovakia 1938, Greece 2016?

Czechoslovakia 1938, Greece 2016?

Old Mar 8th 2016, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Czechoslovakia 1938, Greece 2016?

Here's a scary article asking the question that I've taken as the title of this thread. A French lawyer accuses the EU of selling Greece down the river on the issue of the migrant invasion, purely in order to placate Turkey. He draws an analogy with the betrayal of CZ at Munich in '38. Well worth a quick read!
'EU Ready to Betray Greece as it Did Czechoslovakia in 1938'
Old Mar 8th 2016, 6:16 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Czechoslovakia 1938, Greece 2016?

The situation is a mess and Greece has been treated badly, but I really don't see the Czechoslovakia analogy. In the analogy, Turkey is supposed to equate to Nazi Germany? Why, Turkey has territorial ambitions? Hoping to join the EU is somehow like creating a greater Germany in 1938 to 1942?
Old Mar 8th 2016, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Czechoslovakia 1938, Greece 2016?

Originally Posted by robin1234
The situation is a mess and Greece has been treated badly, but I really don't see the Czechoslovakia analogy. In the analogy, Turkey is supposed to equate to Nazi Germany?
No, I don't think so. I interpreted the analogy as being with Europe's betrayal of a democracy, that's all. Throwing a victim nation to the wolves, in the hope of buying peace. If I were a Greek, that's probably how I would see it.