British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Cyprus style rip off! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/cyprus-style-rip-off-790895/)

SloJohn Mar 17th 2013 10:35 pm

Cyprus style rip off!

Would the Slovenians stand for a "bank levy" that steals money from accounts to help the country out of the brown stuff?

Think Not :boxing:

booboo24 Mar 17th 2013 11:09 pm

Re: Cyprus style rip off!

Originally Posted by SloJohn (Post 10609625)
Would the Slovenians stand for a "bank levy" that steals money from accounts to help the country out of the brown stuff?

Well I hope not! Cant believe they will get away with that in Cyprus, it really is unbelievable!!!

Notice how we don't hear too much about Iceland :sneaky:

M AND G Mar 18th 2013 10:02 am

SLO JO For information I only live amongst the wealthy, not part of the wealth class !! Yes my next door neighbour (sounds like a terrace to me ) is
very senior at a well known foreign bank but I tend to use his tradesmans entrance. He is bemoaning that all his household staff have been deported....
They do tend to be a bit sheepish these days about their positions but I fear we all know about the same - diddly squat.
Old Sir Harry has the right idea and sleeps on his white fivers and I think those of you in Portugal and perhaps another close by country might like to bolster up the old bolster. Makes for a good nights sleep.
A friend of mine moved to Portugal with his girlfriend about 18 months ago, he can work in the clouds or something but his reports on Portugal make for depressing reading or discussion.
I fear all the heads of central banks are very much in league with each other and it is only the way they are going to shaft you that will vary between the EU and non EU, or how each country tries to resolve the issues.
Just remember "The pound in your pocket has the same value in the UK as it did yesterday , it is only when you wish to escape to other countries it isn't" "Thats magic" as Paul Daniels used to say...
Not only is the economy depressing but England devalued themselves with that performance on Saturday...Wales were just awesome though.
I might wear a daff today to cheer myself up.
Best to all out of pocket in Cyprus or in the sticky stuff. M & G

mbkarl Mar 18th 2013 10:51 am

Originally Posted by SloJohn (Post 10609625)

Wouldn't surprise me, rather than do anything to help the economy the Slovenian parliament prefers to just help itself to some more tax.

Although I doubt Slovenians would stand for it. The speed cameras in Maribor pushed them over the edge dread to think what this would do.

Greentricky Mar 25th 2013 10:51 am

I know they have been busy seeking out nationals holding money abroad and not declaring it, as am aware of several people caught out who were banking in Austria and according to the bank manager in Graz they had seen an increase in slovenians pulling there money out and buying gold and silver, which was his recommendation

Ray51 May 10th 2013 8:58 pm

What : bought gold @ $1.700 / oz in March/April ?
and today it lingers around $1.200 ?
Well , you can't get taxed on a 33% Capital Loss , dass ist aber sehr gut , dann !
Typical sound advice from a "banker" , oder nein ?
No wonder everywhere's in such a mess ,
between collusion of politicians , taxmen and bankers ,
EUrope will sink back into Middle Ages , or worse : to the days of collapse of ancient Rome !

britishbull May 11th 2013 1:15 pm

On banking, if the alternative to taking money off depositors is them losing the whole lot (above the guaranteed amount) if the bank goes down then it ain't THAT bad... the cyprus crash does remind us to spread the dosh around the banks. UK is a mess because no-one will vote for a massive downsize of the state/social welfare system and any gov that takes 100-250bn out of the system won't get voted back in again for a generation. It is actually John Major's fault because he just time-served rather than finishing off Thatcher's ministry and turning the UK into the Hong Kong or Singapore of Europe. Anyway, I'm off to Torquay to buy a second house on Monday as I can't bring myself to change my sterling into any of foreign currencies at the rates available, sob!

Ray51 May 11th 2013 5:54 pm

Tell us about Torquay ;
is that not where Basil failed to manage Fawlty Towers ?

Ray51 May 12th 2013 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by britishbull (Post 10703457)
On banking, if the alternative to taking money off depositors is them losing the whole lot (above the guaranteed amount) if the bank goes down then it ain't THAT bad... the cyprus crash does remind us to spread the dosh around the banks. UK is a mess because no-one will vote for a massive downsize of the state/social welfare system and any gov that takes 100-250bn out of the system won't get voted back in again for a generation. It is actually John Major's fault because he just time-served rather than finishing off Thatcher's ministry and turning the UK into the Hong Kong or Singapore of Europe. Anyway, I'm off to Torquay to buy a second house on Monday as I can't bring myself to change my sterling into any of foreign currencies at the rates available, sob!

My local Londis-trader quotes 1.55 SFr to the squid ; so , where exxxactly is the problem ?
( Since you get muuuuch more for 1,55 Swiss than for 1 squid in Greater London , anyway ! )