Reload this Page >

A crazy plan for Lithuania

A crazy plan for Lithuania

Old Oct 7th 2014, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

belfastflyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A crazy plan for Lithuania

Hi All,
I've been lucky enough to meet an amazing Lithuanian woman and have had a great few years with her!

We are planning on moving to Lithuania in a few years, I've been learning the language (it's beautiful but a real b'gger to learn!) etc and I can't wait to start over in such a beautiful country.

The idea we have had is to buy the property before we move, ideally next year, so we can pay more off the mortgage while we earn GBP and it will mean less pressure on us while we find a job etc as we have paid a lot off the loan before getting there.

The problem is that I cannot find any information online stating that a Lithuanian bank will give us a mortgage/bank account while we are in the UK.

Does anyone know if this is possible? And if so, where would be the best place to start?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 21st 2014, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

amileiko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A crazy plan for Lithuania

Hi belfastflyer,

If your wife is a citizen of Lithuania, you can try getting mortgage in one of the following banks (they require either Lithuanian passport or residence in Lithuania):
1. SEB Bank: https://www.seb.lt/eng/private/loans-and-leasing/loans/mortgage-loan
2. Siauliu Bankas: Mortgage Loans
3. Medicinos Bankas: Housing Credit | Medicinos Bankas

Other banks provide mortgage loans to residents of Lithuania only.

Regards,
Anna
Old Oct 27th 2014, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Forres is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A crazy plan for Lithuania

Belfastflyer, I have been living in Lithuania since 2004 and have a nice home there but currently me and my wife are in the Middle East but Lithuania is still home and still go back regularly to visit family.

Based on my own experience, what I would do if I were you right now is go and visit with your partner at the next available option and register as living/resident in Lithuania, perhaps you can use your partners parents address or something. This should only be a formality under the EU freedom of movement directive.

Next, I would open a bank account either with Danske Bankas or Swedbank. Use this to either pay part of your current salary into or if not all. I work all over the world but always pay my salary into a Lithuanian bank. When I first moved there opening a bank account was a simple formality and I don't think it would be much different now.
If you pay off your mortgage in the UK you should be able to get a mortgage in Lithuania but open an account sooner rather than later so you can show money going in. When you open your account also take a copy of both your contracts of employment.

The next question is, what do you do for a living? The biggest problem most expats I know is finding a job. Most of them are in business for themselves unless you work for a multi-national but these people usually transfer there. This is where most people fail. This is what causes most people to leave so finding work is definately your biggest problem as an expat. Lithuanians will have priority unless you know an expat business owner.
Your next biggest problem is if you do find a job then salaries are very low in Lithuania even for professionals. I would start looking now and start networking. Your partner/wife will be your best tool for looking for work. Lithuanians tend to be very close knit and well connected. Its about who you know.
Lithuania is a great country to live with very low crime rate and a great place to bring up kids. The people are friendly and its a beautiful place in summer and if you opt for Vilnius then it has an excellent close knit expat community there.
Feel free to ask any questions or PM me. Good luck and I hope all goes well.