Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

crazy idea...live in Europe; Job in UK

crazy idea...live in Europe; Job in UK

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light
Default crazy idea...live in Europe; Job in UK

My first post, so hi there

My global employer has a work from home policy where I currently work and live in Leeds.

My cunning plan is move out of whats left of England to a UK 'commutable' (say 1 or 2 meetings a month) location in Europe like Barcelona for example, where I could keep my UK job and eventually harmonise myself with the locals and language and quit my stressful job.

I have 2 english speaking children, 8 and 3, who would need to be educated in Spain, and a partner who is a Nanny by profession, so would probably want to work out there.....she is not so willing to learn the language, but hey it would come in time i guess.

My main question is would the UK/Spanish authorities allow me to have a UK employer and live in Spain?

Are there any pitfalls?

What about my wife and kids....is that also do-able?

Many thanks
J
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:37 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: crazy idea...live in Europe; Job in UK

Originally Posted by spaceace

My main question is would the UK/Spanish authorities allow me to have a UK employer and live in Spain?

Are there any pitfalls?

Many thanks
J
Yes of course they would. Why not post on the Spanish forum where you will get more exposure?

The only thing you have to remember is that you are not getting so many euros for your £ now since it dropped from 1.5ish last year to 1.23 at the moment. Even so, cost of living in rural spain is abt 30% cheaper than the UK, but you may find Barcelona is not that much cheaper!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

graham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to all

My global employer has a work from home policy where I currently work and live in Leeds.

My cunning plan is move out of whats left of England to a UK 'commutable' (say 1 or 2 meetings a month) location in Europe like Barcelona for example, where I could keep my UK job and eventually harmonise myself with the locals and language and quit my stressful job.

I have 2 english speaking children, 8 and 3, who would need to be educated in Spain, and a partner who is a Nanny by profession, so would probably want to work out there.....she is not so willing to learn the language, but hey it would come in time i guess.

Are there any pitfalls?

Many thanks
J
Well i dont want to pour cold water on your fire but i think someone has to,
We will start with the Kids, You want to put them into school private education i presume £4,000 per child a term £24,000 a year, not a gaurentee will be fluent in Spanish. Spanish state school throw them in at the deep end will be fluent in a year, but high school education not very good for the less bright easily overlooked.
Jobs, The Spanish currently have as big unemployment problem as we do,sorry to say one on one they will always employ Spanish first, thats life everywhere. travel, the day of the regular low cost flights have now gone very far and few between, you can still get them but you can not pick and choose as you are set to certain dates.
Finaly you want a laid back life style and you think spain can give you this, maybe, great weather June July August might as well be raining outside as you can not walk about in it in certain parts of the country, thats why you never see the Spanish outside in these months. have you ever driven round a major city or try some of the resorts on the Costa Del Sol, about as laid back as a cat in a pigeon coup, now as for your question you can work and live in Spain as long as you decide where you are going to pay your tax. Open an account with the Halifax as they have branches in Spain Halifax Hispania also Barcalys then if you want to move money it will not cost you anything plus you can get advise from them about tax ect ect hope this does not put you off.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:23 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham barnett
Well i dont want to pour cold water on your fire but i think someone has to,
We will start with the Kids, You want to put them into school private education i presume £4,000 per child a term £24,000 a year, not a gaurentee will be fluent in Spanish. Spanish state school throw them in at the deep end will be fluent in a year, but high school education not very good for the less bright easily overlooked.
Jobs, The Spanish currently have as big unemployment problem as we do,sorry to say one on one they will always employ Spanish first, thats life everywhere. travel, the day of the regular low cost flights have now gone very far and few between, you can still get them but you can not pick and choose as you are set to certain dates.
Finaly you want a laid back life style and you think spain can give you this, maybe, great weather June July August might as well be raining outside as you can not walk about in it in certain parts of the country, thats why you never see the Spanish outside in these months. have you ever driven round a major city or try some of the resorts on the Costa Del Sol, about as laid back as a cat in a pigeon coup, now as for your question you can work and live in Spain as long as you decide where you are going to pay your tax. Open an account with the Halifax as they have branches in Spain Halifax Hispania also Barcalys then if you want to move money it will not cost you anything plus you can get advise from them about tax ect ect hope this does not put you off.
Private education? They would have a much better chance in a state school and integrate much better

The OP is talking about working in the UK and commuting from Spain, did you misunderstand?

Good weather in June July and August ..... where in Spain do you live
I was in our pool in May and still able to go in in October! We eventually lit a fire at the end of November. I see the Spanish out all year

No low cost flights? I have visitors here from Birmingham who paid €5 return with Ryanair each. Friends coming in April who are paying €60 return each

On Tax, if you are a Spanish resident and are here for more than 180 days then you are required to pay your taxes here
Old Jan 17th 2009, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

graham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to allgraham barnett is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Private education? They would have a much better chance in a state school and integrate much better

The OP is talking about working in the UK and commuting from Spain, did you misunderstand?

Good weather in June July and August ..... where in Spain do you live
I was in our pool in May and still able to go in in October! We eventually lit a fire at the end of November. I see the Spanish out all year

No low cost flights? I have visitors here from Birmingham who paid €5 return with Ryanair each. Friends coming in April who are paying €60 return each

On Tax, if you are a Spanish resident and are here for more than 180 days then you are required to pay your taxes here
Well two boys 8yrs in the spanish state system hmmm i know better
As for the weather i have spent boxing day on the beach, try walking abought in the Costa heat in June July Aug Mad dogs and Englishmen rasberry ripples, and the Spanish do not wander about in the high temptemperaturesthey can help it.

Spain to England England to Spain does not make any diffdifferencehad friends who did the same thing did not work out very well for them. ok you have to travel back and forth try and get a cheap flight in the school holidays! and there is a lot of them, go on line to any of the low cost airlines and try to get a flight 22rd of May when the kids break up or will they take a holiday themselves then i dont think so, wake up and smell the coffcoiffen thats gone up in Spain now.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 4:12 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

If I gather correctly from your opening post, you will only need to come back to the UK twice a month, for meetings? In that case, you won't lose too much time travelling - it would be different if you were travelling back and forth once or twice a week. It's not just the flight that takes a long time (although you should always be prepared for delays; maybe best to fly back the night before and b&b somewhere), it's the getting to and from the airport, checking in etc. But yes, under your scenario you'll be travelling less than many of us who commute 2-4 hours a day.
Would it be possible to change from being directly employed, to that as a contractor? If possible arrange for your company to pay your fees in Euros (as you'd be incurring expenses, living costs in Euros). This doesn't mean that the pound won't necessarily go up against the Euro, but best not to gamble with your main income. You can always transfer 30% of your money back into a sterling account if you're concerned about currency fluctuations.
As for the climate - if you settle on the north coast (Santander, Basque country, Asturias or Galaica) you will be able to walk in the sun in July or August. You may find you haven't escaped the rain the rest of the year though.
As for finding a place to buy - there are great variations in price between different areas. Generally, the further you are from either the coast or the main cities of Madrid and Barcelona, the cheaper the housing (although the Basque country is surprisingly expensive). Having said that, the current downturn is probably going to hit the coastal areas hardest.
Lastly - learning the language is going to be a big challenge - even for the kids. You will make it doubly so if you move to Barcelona, as you will need to learn Catalan too (for example dealing with official forms, reading your apartment rule book etc).
Good Luck!
Can I ask what line of work you're involved in?
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:29 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any pitfalls?

Many thanks
J
"what's left of England" - hmm, perhaps you might want to consider your motives and research whether you chosen destination is an improvement before you leap.

Edit - looks like the OP is heading Canada bound

Last edited by Cape Blue; Jan 17th 2009 at 8:32 pm. Reason: update
Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:49 pm
Senior Moment

As for the weather i have spent boxing day on the beach, try walking abought in the Costa heat in June July Aug Mad dogs and Englishmen rasberry ripples, and the Spanish do not wander about in the high temptemperaturesthey can help it.

Spain to England England to Spain does not make any diffdifferencehad friends who did the same thing did not work out very well for them. ok you have to travel back and forth try and get a cheap flight in the school holidays! and there is a lot of them, go on line to any of the low cost airlines and try to get a flight 22rd of May when the kids break up or will they take a holiday themselves then i dont think so, wake up and smell the coffcoiffen thats gone up in Spain now.
Hmmm ... without knowing me at all, you decide you know better .... OK, fine I understand
Actually I do travel back and fore to the UK and do get cheap flights regularly. You said "the day of the regular low cost flights have now gone very far and few between, you can still get them but you can not pick and choose as you are set to certain dates." - I disagree.

I also do know what its like in "the Costa Sun". I do live here.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

thanks for the replies. Cape Blue is correct, we are Canada bound as I think most of the points made in this thread have made the Spain idea a no go.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hmmm ... without knowing me at all, you decide you know better .... OK, fine I understand
Actually I do travel back and fore to the UK and do get cheap flights regularly. You said "the day of the regular low cost flights have now gone very far and few between, you can still get them but you can not pick and choose as you are set to certain dates." - I disagree.

I also do know what its like in "the Costa Sun". I do live here.
Good for you , you seem to be one of the lucky ones, did you not see the one show on BBC tonight at 7pm, once again i say wake up and smell the coffe
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:00 pm
Senior Moment

Good for you , you seem to be one of the lucky ones, did you not see the one show on BBC tonight at 7pm, once again i say wake up and smell the coffe
Hah ha, yes I believe everything I see on telly and in the papers
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Hah ha, yes I believe everything I see on telly and in the papers
Sorry forgot to tell you i know the church Pastor that they interviewed in the programme very respected man, i would not always believe the media but the man yes as he has lived on the costa for over 20yrs and i have known him for the last 6yrs that is what i base my facts on, sometimes you have to have faith in your fellow man. whereabouts in Spain do you live Mitzyboy.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:05 pm
Senior Moment

Sorry forgot to tell you i know the church Pastor that they interviewed in the programme very respected man, i would not always believe the media but the man yes as he has lived on the costa for over 20yrs and i have known him for the last 6yrs that is what i base my facts on, sometimes you have to have faith in your fellow man. whereabouts in Spain do you live Mitzyboy.
I saw the article GB. I am aware there are people who are struggling here, and I'm aware there are people struggling in the UK as well ..... its all very sad and concerning.
Regrettably there will always be victims in times such as thease and we can only hope that they survive one way or another.

I live in the North of the Costa Blanca near Gandia / Oliva. I cant say or not if the situation is slightly better here than where you are, but we dont see the hardship that you and the rev speak of, and although I know there are ex pats returning, theres plenty that seem to be coming also
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

I saw the article GB. I am aware there are people who are struggling here, and I'm aware there are people struggling in the UK as well ..... its all very sad and concerning.
Regrettably there will always be victims in times such as thease and we can only hope that they survive one way or another.

I live in the North of the Costa Blanca near Gandia / Oliva. I cant say or not if the situation is slightly better here than where you are, but we dont see the hardship that you and the rev speak of, and although I know there are ex pats returning, theres plenty that seem to be coming also
Small world i have a sister who lives in Denia, i was up there last summer, had a great time nice places to visit, Valencia has a great Playa.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

If you work for an airline, you get whats called travel concessions.
So you dont pay the full price.
And i dont think that you are being very supportive and helpful, which is what these sites are for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.