British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Which country in EU has best pension system? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/country-eu-has-best-pension-system-876174/)

ZLI Apr 19th 2016 6:30 pm

Which country in EU has best pension system?

A lot of people said it's s France but to be honest, I don't know why. What do you think?

Mitzyboy Apr 20th 2016 8:06 pm

Re: Which country in EU has best pension system?

Originally Posted by ZLI (Post 11926982)
A lot of people said it's s France but to be honest, I don't know why. What do you think?

People will struggle to answer that as many live in a different country to which they draw their pension.

Try looking at THIS which allegedly lists the ten best countries

ZLI Apr 22nd 2016 11:09 pm

I did my research but I want to hear information from first hand. Peoples calculations and "where to get what" opinion.

P.S. I know it's not easy question. :)

Mitzyboy Apr 23rd 2016 8:32 am

Originally Posted by ZLI (Post 11929894)
I did my research but I want to hear information from first hand. Peoples calculations and "where to get what" opinion.

P.S. I know it's not easy question. :)

But no one can tell you which is the best system unless they have lived in and benefited from pension systems in many countries. That doesnt happen, because normally you are tied to one or two countries.

Now if you ask what the pension arrangements are like in particular countries that they are linked in to then thats easier to answer, but to ask posters which is the best then they will probably only refer to links like the one I mentioned :-) ;-)

ZLI Apr 23rd 2016 6:47 pm

Yes but you have at least two or three in each major country. I expected them to discuss and provide some pros and cons in general and it could bring interesting information for everyone. It was too long shot I suppose.

dmu Apr 24th 2016 9:34 am

Originally Posted by ZLI (Post 11930369)
Yes but you have at least two or three in each major country. I expected them to discuss and provide some pros and cons in general and it could bring interesting information for everyone. It was too long shot I suppose.

There are plenty of us in France; some, like me, with pro rata UK and French Pensions. When the time came for me to apply for my Pension here, amazingly my whole history came up on the clerk's computer, even my years working during the school holidays! The same must surely apply for any one who has worked and contributed in several EU countries.
No one is going to tell you how much their Pensions are, but if a worker has contributed the statutory number of trimesters over the years, the basic French State Pension is about 1000€ per month, plus the now compulsory "complementary" Pension and any "Executive" Pensions which are also based on contributions. French Pensions higher than a certain threshold are, like salaries, subject to Income Tax....
There you go for France, but I don't think you're going to get a discussion going, just a comparison of basic figures for each country.... Whether France is the best? Impossible to say, as you can't compare until you're receiving a Pension in the country where you applied for it. And as I only worked 5 years in the UK, I've never bothered to compare the two Pensions....
Why do you ask? Are you contemplating moving to the Continent to work until retirement? or is this a research project?

ZLI Apr 24th 2016 12:13 pm

Thanks for answer.

Actually it was my small instant research idea how it would look if someone change (for example) 4-6 EU countries during his working era. How pension would look and would there be more pros or cons. My intro was poorly defined question which no one actually bothers too much (me neither) so it's not surprise that there is no big discussion.

dmu Apr 24th 2016 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by ZLI (Post 11930779)
Thanks for answer.

Actually it was my small instant research idea how it would look if someone change (for example) 4-6 EU countries during his working era. How pension would look and would there be more pros or cons. My intro was poorly defined question which no one actually bothers too much (me neither) so it's not surprise that there is no big discussion.

Provided you contributed into the System of each EU country you worked in, you would eventually receive the pro rata Pensions in the country where you finally end up. As many EU Tax Offices to inform, though, if you move to another country afterwards....;)