Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Belgium?

Cost of living in Belgium?

Old Apr 2nd 2005, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Bakerboy1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Cost of living in Belgium?

My wife and I are considering moving to Brussels. We are looking for information on what it is like to live there. We have visited in recent years.

Can anyone give us an idea of the cost of living there? Property prices, average salaries, price of food etc. in relation to the cost of living in UK?
Old May 13th 2005, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

globalart4u is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cost of living in Belgium?

I lived there for about 16 years and came back five years ago to Scotland. I still have an apartment there and go back inbetween tenants (by the way it is for rent if interested?) The cost of living is higher than the UK. Though there is a huge choice of products - I tend to buy all my cheese, clothes and even bread from there and bring them back here and freeze the foodstuff. Quality of life is good.

Rental is lower than prices in London - though rising. You do need to register at the commune where you will be living - it is a requirement to get an ID card if you are living there.

A large expat community there
Old May 13th 2005, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

globalart4u is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cost of living in Belgium?

forgot - average food prices are good depends on where you buy things from. The Midi Market on a Sunday is good for food shopping, plants and other stuff (though beware it is always crowded). Delhaize supermarket is good price with a large choice. Travel is cheap within the city - one metro ticket (not very expensive about euro1.5 sorry can't remember as I tend to buy a 10 ticket pass) can be used for an hour and you can use the same ticket on a bus, tram, metro within the city when going from place to place and don't need to buy a new ticket for different modes of travel unlike in the UK where you need to buy new bus tickets when changing buses etc. Train travel is cheap in the summer months during the weekends.