British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   considering moving from uk to eu - advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/considering-moving-uk-eu-advice-858648/)

movingsomeplace May 22nd 2015 6:42 am

considering moving from uk to eu - advice

Hi there
This is my first post, so apologies up front!
My family is considering a move out of the UK and I have found all sorts of conflicting advice when looking online. This could well be because our situation does not neatly fit into a box but I thought I'd ask here for help on the matter. :-)
I'm a UK citizen, my wife is American and has 'indefinite leave to remain' through marriage. We also have an 8yo boy and a few pets.
My wife is disabled and I gave up work to look after her. We live on disability and carer benefits.
My wife, not being native to the UK, has from time to time shown interest in moving abroad. I'm more settled. However, with the recent election and its possible effects on the disabled, and also just five more years on Tories, the possibility of moving is on the table again.
So, a move to Malta, for example - could that be achieved and should it?
Can anyone give me a bit of info, help, advice and so on?
Happy to offload more details :-)

EMR May 22nd 2015 7:23 am

Re: considering moving from uk to eu - advice

One if the factors influencing the UK decision to stay or leave the EU is UK control of benefits.
The European court decisions
have meant that benefits are being paid to those who live or whose families live abroad in the EU.
The UK government wants to stop this and take control back.
Do not assume that you will still be able to claim UK benefits evrn if the UK stays in the EU.

movingsomeplace May 22nd 2015 7:38 am

Hi there
Thanks for replying :-)
So far I can't see any rules about those who exist entirely on benefits migrating. All info is about at least one person working.
I see that the UK /EU decision to stop paying ex-pats all or some of their benefits would be a major factor. It could leave people stranded without funds. That is scary.
All European countries have different benefits systems which ex-pats wouldn't immediately qualify for it seems.
Any other advice welcome.
MS

EMR May 22nd 2015 7:55 am

Originally Posted by movingsomeplace (Post 11653163)
Hi there
So far I can't see any rules about those who exist entirely on benefits migrating. All info is about at least one person working.
I see that the UK /EU decision to stop paying ex-pats all or some of their benefits would be a major factor. It could leave people stranded without funds. That is scary.
All European countries have different benefits systems which ex-pats wouldn't immediately qualify for it seems.
MS

It is not a question of not immediately qualifying for but never being able to access. benefits if you have not paid into their system.
Some countries also require evidence that your income is sufficient to live on without being a drain on their economy.
Then there is the question of access to and cost of health treatment.
I think you will find that you are better off staying in the UK.

movingsomeplace May 22nd 2015 8:19 am

As eu members currently, the reciprocal agreements allow for access to health and benefit systems to some degree, am I correct?

dmu May 22nd 2015 8:20 am

Originally Posted by movingsomeplace (Post 11653145)
My wife is disabled and I gave up work to look after her. We live on disability and carer benefits.

So, a move to Malta, for example - could that be achieved and should it?
Can anyone give me a bit of info, help, advice and so on?
Happy to offload more details :-)

Hi and welcome to the Forum! There is in fact a dedicated Malta section (above) where the locals might be able to advise better about exportable benefits.
On the other hand, please don't consider France as a possible destination - some benefits may be exportable, but others not. If you live entirely on benefits in the UK, then you wouldn't survive in France, especially with a young child to bring up.
As suggested, you'd probably be better off staying in the UK, but moving to another area?

EMR May 22nd 2015 8:24 am

Originally Posted by movingsomeplace (Post 11653163)
Hi there
MS

Originally Posted by movingsomeplace (Post 11653187)
As eu members currently, the reciprocal agreements allow for access to health and benefit systems to some degree, am I correct?

Not as simple as that if you intend becoming a resident in your new country.
Remember you may have to pay for doctors appointments medicines etc.
If you are retired and in receiptb of a UK pension it vcoukd be diferent but under retirement age do not assume anything.

movingsomeplace May 22nd 2015 8:25 am

Hi there and thanks for replying.
Malta is one of the eu suggestions but other parts of UK also.
We need access to health and benefits assistance and portability seems varied across eu despite seemingly the same rules?!?
It's a bit maddening.

movingsomeplace May 22nd 2015 8:27 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 11653189)
Not as simple as that if you intend becoming a resident in your new country.
Remember you may have to pay for doctors appointments medicines etc.
If you are retired and in receiptb of a UK pension it vcoukd be diferent but under retirement age do not assume anything.

So it gets easier at retirement?
Hmmm.
Other parts of UK are sounding better.

EMR May 22nd 2015 8:49 am

Originally Posted by movingsomeplace (Post 11653193)
Hmmm.

As we write Camreron is meeting with the other EU leaders and one of things on the agenda is an end to the current arrangements with countries takjng back authority and to set
their own rules.
It has been suggested that this us more likely to be approved than other changes the UK is proposing.

mikelincs May 22nd 2015 10:07 am

Originally Posted by movingsomeplace (Post 11653193)
Hmmm.

It only gets better at retirement age because UK state pensioners will get the same treatment in their new EU country as pensioners there. Usually this means free healthcare, or as free as they get there. Being a pensioner doew not entitle people from the UK to any other benefits. Given your circumstances I woukd suggest two things, get your wife her British Citizenship as soon as she qualifies, and stay in the UK, you will just not get the level of support in another country.

movingsomeplace May 22nd 2015 10:18 am

British citizenship costs around £1k and we've always found better things to do with the money as she has all naturalised rights in UK.
The eu doesn't sound as free of movement as it first appears

EMR May 22nd 2015 10:49 am

Originally Posted by movingsomeplace (Post 11653279)
British citizenship costs around £1k and we've always found better things to do with the money as she has all naturalised rights in UK.
The eu doesn't sound as free of movement as it first appears

You can move but do not expect other countries to be as generous as the UK.
Why should they ?
Why should you if you qualify receive more than a national of that country in the same position as you ??

movingsomeplace May 22nd 2015 10:56 am

Where do you live?
:-)
Seems like countries really only welcome you if you bring a lot of cash. Which you can understand.
We will require benefits due to disability wherever we live and just want to see what possibilities there are out there.

EMR May 22nd 2015 11:08 am

Originally Posted by movingsomeplace (Post 11653312)
Where do you live?
:-)
Seems like countries really only welcome you if you bring a lot of cash. Which you can understand.
We will require benefits due to disability wherever we live and just want to see what possibilities there are out there.

The UK and Portugal where in some areas if you are not a pensioner and cannot prove that you are contributing to the system then free health cover etc is denied you.
You are right some countries want to see proof that you will not be drain on their resources and showing sufficient income is part of that.