British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Cheapest way of getting a little dog into Europe? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/cheapest-way-getting-little-dog-into-europe-876260/)

ameliapond Apr 21st 2016 6:53 am

Cheapest way of getting a little dog into Europe?
 
Just wondered why these pet passports cost a bomb, anyone got their pets into Europe without fattening the vets?

mikelincs Apr 21st 2016 7:05 am

Re: Cheapest way of getting a little dog into Europe?
 

Originally Posted by ameliapond (Post 11928287)
Just wondered why these pet passports cost a bomb, anyone got their pets into Europe without fattening the vets?

They won't be allowed on the plane without the correct papers from the vat, so no use trying. Even superstars have to obey those laws, you will just have to suck it up, in any case Europe doesn't want any animals brought in that may be carrying any sort of dangerous disease.

ameliapond Apr 21st 2016 7:14 am

Re: Cheapest way of getting a little dog into Europe?
 
Means of transport would be van not plane, but yeah sure I understand, I just wondered if there are alternative low cost services to get these papers withouth going through a vet, like there are low cost dentists and so on.. or are these standard tariffs equal for everyone irrespective of the vet?

dmu Apr 21st 2016 8:11 am

Re: Cheapest way of getting a little dog into Europe?
 

Originally Posted by ameliapond (Post 11928287)
Just wondered why these pet passports cost a bomb, anyone got their pets into Europe without fattening the vets?

Hi, if you're intending to travel on to the UK after your arrival in Continental Europe, there are further conditions to comply with at the Ferry Port (no animals allowed in the Channel Tunnel). There have been some threads on the subject in the Moving Back to the UK section, or the following link gives info on pets originating from non EU countries, transiting via Continental Europe:
https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/travel-within-the-eu
esp. concerning the "third-country official veterinary certificate" which may or may not be entirely valid at the European Ferry port. It may have to be validated by a local Vet as far as tapeworm treatment is concerned.
I imagine that the cost of all this is the same for everyone!!;)

Mitzyboy Apr 23rd 2016 8:36 am

Re: Cheapest way of getting a little dog into Europe?
 

Originally Posted by ameliapond (Post 11928302)
Means of transport would be van not plane, but yeah sure I understand, I just wondered if there are alternative low cost services to get these papers withouth going through a vet, like there are low cost dentists and so on.. or are these standard tariffs equal for everyone irrespective of the vet?

Often you get what you pay for with low cost dentists :-) :-)

Vets train for years, spend huge amounts of money on equipment and premises and in this case help to keep the animal population of Europe relatively healthy so yes, it won't be cheap.

Passport cost me £180 with vaccinations etc for our cat from UK to Spain. Cat travelled in a van as well

Cats-R-Us Jul 16th 2016 12:48 pm

Re: Cheapest way of getting a little dog into Europe?
 
A bit late I know but after seeing the comment about "no animals allowed in the channel tunnel" I looked at the Eurotunnel web site as we brought out cats over to Spain, via France, in our car on the Eurotunnel service but it was some years ago so I wondered if it had changed its policy. They still have a complete section on pet travel via the tunnel and about how to check in at Calais etc so I can't understand why dmu thinks you cannot take pets on that service. We found it a fast service and better than leaving them unattended in the car on a car ferry service as we were with them all the way.

dmu Jul 16th 2016 2:54 pm

Re: Cheapest way of getting a little dog into Europe?
 

Originally Posted by Cats-R-Us (Post 12004007)
A bit late I know but after seeing the comment about "no animals allowed in the channel tunnel" I looked at the Eurotunnel web site as we brought out cats over to Spain, via France, in our car on the Eurotunnel service but it was some years ago so I wondered if it had changed its policy. They still have a complete section on pet travel via the tunnel and about how to check in at Calais etc so I can't understand why dmu thinks you cannot take pets on that service. We found it a fast service and better than leaving them unattended in the car on a car ferry service as we were with them all the way.

Sorry, I meant Eurostar!:o

BristolUK Jul 20th 2016 2:35 pm

Re: Cheapest way of getting a little dog into Europe?
 

Originally Posted by ameliapond (Post 11928302)
Means of transport would be van...

Not a Tardis then?

(I know, I know, it's not original but I can't resist these things)


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:29 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.