Reload this Page >

Advice on Rentals

Advice on Rentals

Old Jul 11th 2017, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

nwunda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Rentals

Hi Meilec,

Moving to Slovenia in October 2017 with my girlfriend, you got any advice on how much rentals are near Lesce/Bled as she's from there, and my chances at getting a job when I don't know Slovenian. I will have some rental income from the U.K. to tie us over, so am thankful for that. Currently living in Surrey, and generally looking for advice and English connections in Slovenia.

If you're not on the forum much you can email me <snip> e-mail address is available on the drop down under the name

Wouldn't mind discussing what the drive is like, as we might be doing it :-) I mean, would consider sharing the driving 'now and then'??? I wouldn't mind meeting in person and having a chat about it if you're free. I'm not too far from London. or just stick to email.

Thanks

Last edited by Rosemary; Jul 11th 2017 at 9:03 pm. Reason: E-mail removed due to spammers
Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

meslo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on Rentals

Hi nwunda

You are about to walk through the most beautiful meadow which is in reality a minefield. If you know where the mines are and can avoid them then you are in heaven but if you start stepping on them you are in hell.

I am from Stafford and have visited Slovenia and more for years, even bought land there. To explain everything here would need an essay, a phone call would be better but let me give you an intro.

Slovenia is beautiful, the people lovely, the pace of life nice.

The language is difficult but learnable and if you speak one Slavic language others are easy to pick up.

Slovenia is lots of different countries in one, from the anonymity of Ljubljana and Celje to the village life in the sticks - I have lived in Skofja Loka and a village in Prekmurje - they are different. I have not met or sought any Brits in Slovenia but know quite a few Slovenians.

Slovenia is corrupt, particularly in the sticks - if you want to get things done it is who you know not what you know.

Slovenia is so friendly and if you speak English you can be understood and people want to talk to you.

Slovenia is in the poo economically and if are not careful to avoid being a Slovenian tax resident you will pay a lot of tax on your UK earnings (Oh yes and it starts at 16% on your first £7.5k then goes up to 27% then 41% above £17k).

I have found my limited exchanges with the police good although I am told they can be brutal and you can't complain about their behavior.

Lots more please message me or email me and I will discuss more in depth.

Meslo

Last edited by meslo; Aug 14th 2017 at 3:53 pm.