British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Bulgaria has Europes lowest inflation & Cost of living (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/bulgaria-has-europes-lowest-inflation-cost-living-814101/)

Union_Jack Nov 4th 2013 6:08 pm

Bulgaria has Europes lowest inflation & Cost of living

I see Bulgaria has Europes lowest inflation (-1.3%).
The UK's inflation is +2.7% btw.

With very low property prices, low cost of living, beautiful countryside & decent coastline, I'd say it is a good destination for those wanting to consider early retirement or to escape the rat race.
Have visited Bulgaria on several occasions and most of the inhabitants under 35 y.o speak very good English.
They have good summers that are generally not too humid (between 25 to 35 degrees) and winter sports (ski-ing) is an option in the winter.
Many Brits are choosing the villages which are very cheap. I prefer the city of Varna (population 400,000). A popular seaside city and a favourite holiday destination for Bulgarians & other Eastern Europeans.:thumbup:

scot47 Nov 6th 2013 6:04 pm

Re: Bulgaria has Europes lowest inflation & Cost of living

Let me hazard a guess. You are selling real estate there !

ivo_p_ivanov Nov 6th 2013 6:06 pm

Indeed with such low cost of living and cheap house prices a westerner with relatively low savings could live quite well and it is a good place to live in. the economists though are rather sceptical about the negative inflation in Bulgaria considering it a warning sign for the economy.

Union_Jack Nov 6th 2013 10:06 pm

Scot -I am not an Estate Agent at all, and do not sell anything in Bulgaria, nor do I do any business, or even live there.
Just thought I'd make a positive contribution, as a frequent visitor to Bulgaria.
Might even end up retiring early there myself.

Next.

fidobsa Dec 25th 2013 5:14 pm

It is the crime and corruption that puts me off. At least you no longer have to start a company to buy land. I don't have a house in Bulgaria but I do have some building land and I do have a company. I have not yet found an honest accountant, they take my money but don't do the accounts.

Ray51 Jan 3rd 2014 10:05 pm

Yes , pretty much the same , in many East Europen , ex-soviet block + Balkans countries ;
As any SAffer would say :
Look , I do offer fresh free-range chickens at 50 cents each , sadly : I'm out of stock these months/years...

dian Jan 6th 2014 11:00 am

Crime and corruption in Bulgaria kingdoms