British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Bulgaria - Bansko (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/bulgaria-bansko-369354/)

amanda&charles Apr 23rd 2006 6:52 pm

Bulgaria - Bansko

We've been toying with the idea of buying a 2 bed apt in Bansko as it seems so cheap and we love to ski.

But we haven't had an opportunity to visit yet. Has anyone else been there/bought a property there?

What do you think....is it a good place to buy an apt?

Any comments, positive or negative, much appreciated.

Thanks.

shirleyann88 May 25th 2006 10:14 pm

Re: Bulgaria - Bansko

Originally Posted by amanda&charles
We've been toying with the idea of buying a 2 bed apt in Bansko as it seems so cheap and we love to ski.

But we haven't had an opportunity to visit yet. Has anyone else been there/bought a property there?

What do you think....is it a good place to buy an apt?

Any comments, positive or negative, much appreciated.

Thanks.

I actually moved to Bulgaria a few weeks ago. Although my home is in the South near to Svilengrad. From what I hear out of all the ski resorts Bansko is the better one, and is meant to be the most picturesque. Property prices are on the move upwards particularly down the south, so you would have a very good investment.
If you need anything moving there give me a yell.

Shirleyann88

Ray51 May 26th 2006 7:10 am

[QUOTE=amanda&charles]We've been toying with the idea of buying a 2 bed apt in Bansko as it seems so cheap and we love to ski.

The reasons to actually do any such thing : should be extra strong ones !
Cyrillic script , ortodox religion , mass poverty and backwardness , bribery and corruption on grand scale , very suspect law and order practices , retarded healthcare , most locals regretting the fall of comunism ...
...and Bulgaria will ( well : most likely, against our better judgement ) get admitted into the EU , the announcement is due in October - in which case , any present EU-tax justification/reasons for having a property there , would also become null and void!

shirleyann88 May 27th 2006 6:57 pm

In answer to your message Ray, I have been almost everywhere in Bulgaria, and in the North, they do have some poverty in the smaller villages. They have lived off the land for as long as they have known, and learnt to survive the best way they can. However, if the British still had the same community spirit that these people still have (regardless of little or no wealth) then maybe there would be no ex-pat sites like this, as Brits would relish their own country a bit more, and not move abroad in the thousands.
I agree there is corruption in higher office, but where is there no corruption in England? Our MP's seem to know the art of that very well.
The country is trying very hard to meet the standards set by Brussels, and Rome was'nt built overnight. They will overcome these problems and integrate very well with the rest of Europe.
I would'nt move back to UK as I love the people too much over here and their never ending community spirit. I had no-one in my village who could speak one word of English, but with their help I managed to speak some Bulgarian and sit in the local restaurant for three hours with the locals and actually have a great time.
As a footnote my house has doubled in price since March and I still have'nt opened a paint can!

amanda&charles May 28th 2006 3:23 pm

[QUOTE=Ray51]

Originally Posted by amanda&charles

The reasons to actually do any such thing : should be extra strong ones !
Cyrillic script , ortodox religion , mass poverty and backwardness , bribery and corruption on grand scale , very suspect law and order practices , retarded healthcare , most locals regretting the fall of comunism ...
...and Bulgaria will ( well : most likely, against our better judgement ) get admitted into the EU , the announcement is due in October - in which case , any present EU-tax justification/reasons for having a property there , would also become null and void!

Lighten up, Ray! The reason we are "toying" with the idea is because we are at the information gathering stage, not the decision making stage.

Info about the quality/quantity of the ski runs, house prices, whether it is an attractive town, what the food is like, etc is much more helpful than a run down of the political state of the country. Who cares about cyrillic script when on a fortnight's holiday!

Thank you Shirlyann, your information is very useful.