Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Brits in POLAND... A question about language!

Brits in POLAND... A question about language!

Old Aug 20th 2008, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Flaxxseed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brits in POLAND... A question about language!

Hi everyone!

I'm just wondering how you are getting on with the language, living in Poland? Did you try to learn some before you moved, or did you take a course over there? (if so, any recommendations?)

I'm going to be moving to Poland next year because i want a new adventure and also i want to improve my very basic Polish. I've been told the language is very very difficult (yes i know this) and will take me forever to learn (i'm only in my 20s so time isnt really an issue) but it'd be nice to hear some positive stories about the language issue from some brits.

Oh and i'm definitely going to be coming along to some of the ex-pat meets when i'm in Warsaw

Thanks for any comments, tips, suggestions, etc.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Brits in POLAND... A question about language!

Originally Posted by Flaxxseed
Hi everyone!

I'm just wondering how you are getting on with the language, living in Poland? Did you try to learn some before you moved, or did you take a course over there? (if so, any recommendations?)

I'm going to be moving to Poland next year because i want a new adventure and also i want to improve my very basic Polish. I've been told the language is very very difficult (yes i know this) and will take me forever to learn (i'm only in my 20s so time isnt really an issue) but it'd be nice to hear some positive stories about the language issue from some brits.

Oh and i'm definitely going to be coming along to some of the ex-pat meets when i'm in Warsaw

Thanks for any comments, tips, suggestions, etc.
My husband and I were in poland last year. Polish is very difficult to learn, I wish I had taken advantage of learning it from my grandparents and dad when I was young.

Anyway, we met many many polish folks while we were there and they were very kind, in helping me with my basic polish. I think you will find that the younger generation speak english very well, you may met some older folks that speak no english, but some sign language, patience and kindness go a long way in getting your point or question across.

Hope y ou enjoy poland as much as we did. Make sure you get to Krakow and Auschwitz - you'll love krakow much nicer than warsaw!