Reload this Page >

Bringing The Dog! (canine)

Bringing The Dog! (canine)

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Plum is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Bringing The Dog! (canine)

Hi
Has anyone flown their dog/dogs over to Spain? If so, what advice can you give. I'd like to know how the dog reacted, how it was treated, was it traumatised, etc.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Plum
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing The Dog! (canine)

Originally Posted by Plum
Hi
Has anyone flown their dog/dogs over to Spain? If so, what advice can you give. I'd like to know how the dog reacted, how it was treated, was it traumatised, etc.
Plum
Can be quite expensive flying them, have you thought about driving them down. Its only couple of days.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 6:36 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Plum
We had our cat flown over - she's absolutely fine
She looked a little anxious when we collected her, but half an hour in her new home and she was back to normal
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 7:38 am
Very Old Member!

ScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud of

Hi
Plum
Hi Plum,
Like xabiachic we also flew a cat out to Spain (Bristol > Malaga). As the only way to bring pets out of Bristol at the time she had to go 'Livestock Air Freight' and stay in a cattery for a few days prior to the flight. The cattery arranged an 'approved' cat box and delivered her to Bristol Airport. They even asked that the cat send them a postcard to confirm safe arrival! No problems with the move and a Spanish vet checked the cat at Malaga Airport on arrival. The cat settled in easily and now loves basking in the sun all day. Most of the tinned and packet cat food is readily available here, ours enjoys Royal Canin and the bigger Supermarkets sell it as well as a large selection of others.

There is a new Pet Passport system for Europe, so see a vet early to arrange the injections and paperwork. Also see a vet with the cat soon after arrival (in the more popular destination areas most of them speak English if your technical Spanish is not up to it) as there are many many feral cats in Spain and you will need a couple of injections agains flees etc, They will also register the cat's 'chip' number in a national database, which could be useful if she get 'lost'.

Good luck with the move.

Jock
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Plum is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for replying but I really do need some advice regarding flying a DOG. We think the journey by road might be too much for him if it's hot - he's a big dog and needs a lot of exercise. I'm basically interested in whether the dogs recover OK and what the procedure is for getting them to the airport etc.
Thanks, Plum
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 5:42 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replying but I really do need some advice regarding flying a DOG. We think the journey by road might be too much for him if it's hot - he's a big dog and needs a lot of exercise. I'm basically interested in whether the dogs recover OK and what the procedure is for getting them to the airport etc.
Thanks, Plum

I can't remember the name of the shipping company that brought our cat - but I got their number from Monarch........ I had lots of questions too & they put my mind at rest
I know I brought my cat but the procedure is probably the same
best thing would be to contact the airport you would be using & ask them for advice
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 7:43 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Plum
Its gonna be hot all the time here, our winters are nearly as warm as your summers... but most dogs seem to survive ok.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 11:32 am
Very Old Member!

ScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud of

Thanks, Plum
Ops , sorry Plum. I should have said that the 'exporter' I used had many dogs enroute to Europe but only a few cats. The other remarks still stand.

I also have a friend who brought out a LARGE DOG in her Volvo estate. She did the drive on her own in two days without problems.

Again good luch with the move.

Jock
Old Sep 5th 2004, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Plum

My brother is also bringing 2 large dogs in October from UK to Alicante for someone. Think about the option of driving as long as you stop for a cuppa and give the dog some exercise as well you shouldnt have too many problems. With regard to flying, I have a GS and I'm just getting her confidence in having her travel in a car as her early life started as being thrown out of one, as being dumped by someone. . I think it would scare the hell out of her to fly at the moment and I personally wouldnt put her through it. But thats down to her fears. You know your dog so should be able to gauge how he/she may handle something very new, same as people some people fear flying some don't.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

lance47 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would highly recommend Animal Airlines,

Mill lane Cottage
Mill Lane
Adlington
Cheshire
United Kingdom
SK10 4LF

Tel: 01625-827414
Fax: 01625-827237

Email: [email protected]

They will do everything for you. You just deliver the dog to the cargo section at your chosen airport. Most of the charter airlines use them.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 10:56 am
Just Joined

rrobin is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Bringing The Dog! (canine)

Hi Folks

Im new to this forum. My family and I are shortly relocating to Spain and hoping to bring with us 2 dogs and 1 guinea pig. Does anyone know if this is permissible under the current regulations as I read somewhere about there being a limit to the number of animals you can bring into Spain. Also as we are driving from the Westcountry which would be the nearest port for an animal-friendly ferry?

Regards :-)
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 5:44 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I took two cats and a border collie with me when I moved over. The dog was an excitable one and had to be sedated for the flight. She actually held up the flight for about 30 mins til they managed to calm her down. When she arrived in Alicante her cage was wet. Turns out that dogs overheat which can be very dangerous for them and they spray the cage to keep them cool. In hindsight I would have driven over with her. The two cats were fine.

When I moved to the US I had to leave my dog with my parents. She had had cancer and at her vet check to move here, I found out that it had come back with a vengance. She sadly died a couple of weeks after I left. The two cats again were fine with the move from Spain to the US and that was a long old flight with two planes and a long transfer. Again, I sadly lost one of them when he was taken by a coyote 6 weeks after arriving.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Nett is an unknown quantity at this point

After reading some of the comments on this I think I will not fly my dog.,
He is almost ready to collect his pet passport.
Cost:
micro chipped £20.00
2 lot's of Rabies Jabs (if you book together you get it cheaper) £50.00 they have to be two weeks apart.
then not compulsery but if you ever want to return to the UK your pet will have to have a blood test to test that the injections have worked which costs £80.00 that takes 3-4 weeks but with this you get an official document.
then if everything is ok you get the pet passport
Old Sep 27th 2004, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

sjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant future

Not to Spain, but we've just flown our dog & cat out to Greece. Three hours in the plane plus three weeks before that in a brilliant kennel in the UK whilst we got over here.

They cost between them £1,000 or so to fly them and they arrived and were about thirty minutes coming through the airport after landing.

Absolutely fine and excited to see us and then after a night in the house they were pretty much back to normal. We were very pleased with the whole set up.

The only thing different was that the vet clipped the dog's toenails before she was crated up and sent over (big crate as well; the cat's we could fit in the back of the car but you'd need a Ute to get the dog's home).