Best place in Europe to retire

Old Aug 1st 2012, 11:56 am
UK Expat Turkey

ozsubasi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best place in Europe to retire

Members may be interested in this recent article from the Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...468885782.html
Old Aug 1st 2012, 7:15 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozsubasi
Members may be interested in this recent article from the Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...468885782.html
a headline or single line precis would be nice.........

is that the same Wall Street Journal that...
didnt know about the Madoff Ponzi Scheme until after he had admitted it
didnt know about Lehmans going belly up until after they had done it

Gee...forgive me if I don't get excited.

Last edited by Domino; Aug 1st 2012 at 7:17 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 7:47 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blackladder
Hi Harvester,
We're not exactly neighbours, but a couple of hours down the A20 in Charente. We have some friends who have a summer place in the Creuse and love it there as well. We usually meet up with them somewhere near Brantome (24) because they love the drive down and then they stop over somewhere on the way back. I finally (phew) retire on 1 october and then we'll be making the move permanently down to Charente, where we have owned our house for almost 3 years now. We live in Sweden so our drive is a 2 day affair (abt 2000 k), but it gets easier every time! Hope to meet up some time.
Good luck
Blackie
I read your thread about wanting to leave Sweden. Good luck with your move!
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:53 am
UK Expat Turkey

Originally Posted by Domino
a headline or single line precis would be nice.........

is that the same Wall Street Journal that...
didnt know about the Madoff Ponzi Scheme until after he had admitted it
didnt know about Lehmans going belly up until after they had done it

Gee...forgive me if I don't get excited.
If I'd added any comment then I could be accused of promoting in self interest, so in the context of the original question I thought it better to let the article speak for itself. It only took a second to click on the link and see which country it was about.

I'm sure there are many publications that have missed out on major stories, but I thought the WSJ was pretty well respected as a source on what it does report on, much as the Financial Times is in the UK. If I was wrong in that perception I apologize.

I didn't intend for anyone to get excited, I just thought that it was an interesting viewpoint for people to consider.

Last edited by ozsubasi; Aug 2nd 2012 at 7:03 am.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 10:46 am
UK Expat Turkey

Although I have already responded to this post, I would like to do so again in more detail.
It is very easy to be caustic and then unsubscribe from the thread, (in other words say they have no interest in any response).
If I am out of order in responding then I apologize in advance and understand if this is moderated.

So this is my reply:

Originally Posted by cyrian
You may have noticed that the post is on "Best place to stay in Europe".
No it isn't, it is "Best place in europe to retire"
Accuracy is important, especially when the comment is a criticism.

There are countries that are not "on the verge of bankruptcy".
I specifically mentioned Spain and Portugal and said "some" countries are on the verge of bankruptcy, I did not say they all were.
I could have mentioned Greece, Italy and Ireland as well as being in that situation. In fact, apart from Germany, is there any country in the euro zone that isn't in serious difficulties?

One would have to be on the dark side of the moon not to be aware of the problems of certain countries at this time.
Exactly the point I was making, i.e. that some perhaps are on that "dark side of the moon" in terms of not being aware

There are certainly advantages for EU residents staying within the EU with respect to entitlements where their position is protected by EU law.
Yes but is that sustainable? That is what I was questioning. EU law is great from that point of view but if the Euro crumbles what are those laws worth in the long term? Would someone living in Greece have those benefits if that country withdraws from the Euro?

You have written elsewhere about certain problems with military law in Turkey and that foreigners
cannot complete on house purchases just now because they cannot get their Tapus.
If you want to be honest then it might be better if you point out the minus points also.
Indeed I have mentioned the problems but more to the point, I did not suggest in the first place that Turkey was the best place to retire to
in Europe. If I had done so then you are right that I should point out the minus points. But as I didn't, your comment is without value.
In terms of honesty, unlike some others, I give a reasonable outline of myself in my profile and I do explain where I am and what I do.

If I am out of order and/or off topic in expressing my views in this post I apologize but sometimes it is hard to take perceived unfair remarks without responding.
I have had a couple of remarks aimed at me in this thread and although I always try and make reasoned replies I can't just sit back and accept
everything.

Last edited by ozsubasi; Aug 4th 2012 at 11:00 am.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Harvester523
I read your thread about wanting to leave Sweden. Good luck with your move!
Hi Harvester, thanks for the kind thoughts, you'll hear the shout when our house in Sweden is sold and the money's in the bank! Problem right now is whether to keep some in Sweden or put our faith in the Euro holding up!
Take care and keep in touch
Blackie
Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

LordMayor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jenninedinburgh
Hi there,

Thanks for the replies so far. I knew it would be a good idea to post here as you've given me much food for thought.

To answer some of your questions:

1) I speak/have studied the following: French, Spanish and Italian
2) It's important to me to not use a car - as this is an added expense and I really love having a pedestrian lifestyle (it's what I do now in Edinburgh and I feel really great about what I am doing for the environment as this will hopefully cancel out anything I do by adding it back by air travel! )
3) Out of everything, I would say healthcare and nice environment with friendly people are the most important factors to me (by nice environment, I mean low crime, aesthetically appealing)
4) Ideally, not longer than a 2 hour flight away from the UK
5) Yes, I will take out a mortgage to pay for the place. My husband will service our mortgage here in the UK and I will service the foreign property

There really are so many places to choose from. But as noted above, I have lots of time.
I am sure you would love the Costa de la Luz in Spain. I have been living there (in Ayamonte)for ten years now and would not change!
In a few words: Sun 300 days/year, lots of walking areas, beautiful beaches, lovely people, great health service. If you live in town (very quiet) like me, you do not need a car. I just rent one when needed (once/twice a month), it is the cheapest. And if you want to buy it is just the right time!
A friend mine has just bought a 2 beds semi-detached house for 66.000€ (they were on the market at 180.000€ two or three years ago and a 4 beds house in the same urbanization for 128.000€ (formerly 430.000€!!!).
If you want anyfurther information, do not hesitate to PM me, i will be pleased to answer.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LordMayor
I am sure you would love the Costa de la Luz in Spain. I have been living there (in Ayamonte)for ten years now and would not change!
In a few words: Sun 300 days/year, lots of walking areas, beautiful beaches, lovely people, great health service. If you live in town (very quiet) like me, you do not need a car. I just rent one when needed (once/twice a month), it is the cheapest. And if you want to buy it is just the right time!
A friend mine has just bought a 2 beds semi-detached house for 66.000€ (they were on the market at 180.000€ two or three years ago and a 4 beds house in the same urbanization for 128.000€ (formerly 430.000€!!!).
If you want anyfurther information, do not hesitate to PM me, i will be pleased to answer.
Thanks so much for the information. I've heard great things about Ayamonte and look forward to checking it out. It's definitely on the list
Old Dec 24th 2012, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Armchair Traveller is an unknown quantity at this point

Please be very wary of any suggestions that European property prices have been rising year on year. That might apply to asking prices but I doubt very much that it applies to actual selling prices in recent years other than in the more desirable areas of major cities such as London.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

kuepper is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd have about £15k pa in pensions when I retire this year and as I don't drink or smoke or have a car that should be enough to live on. I can't really afford to buy, which places have rental properties with decent security of tenure, do tenants rights vary between country?
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Well , I could NOT possibly retire in Turkey , which is NOT in Europe , but is probably a better place to be in , for a Brit & with a few bob to spare , then so-called "european" God-forsaken Bosnia , Kosovo , Makedonija , Albanija , Roumania , Serbia , Bulgaria ...
I think the following are quite good places in Europe , for non-millionaires , in no particular order , but considering , among others : health , climate , tax , security , cost of living ...allez :
SLOvenia ,
( parts of ) Spain ,
Belgium , i.e. Bruxelles and Flanders/seaside
Gibraltar ,
maybe : Croatia ? Zagreb & seaside ,
western Germany , for sure
and Austria , most of it .
Good Luck , Bonne Chance , Guten Flug noch ,
R.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Rents are low in Portugal; and the weather's great too, at least on the south-west coast where we are. Rarely too hot or too cold, plenty of water, good infrastructure.
So long as you don't need to earn a living where you live, it's great here.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

JB80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray51
Belgium , i.e. Bruxelles and Flanders/seaside

R.

Personally I'd hate to see out my days here but that's just me, I can't handle the climate amongst other things.
I want to head either South or North from here but I think to retire I'd need some Sun.
Spain, Portugal, Greece, Italy all spring to mind.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

I am quite old and well-travelled ;
5 years in Dubai , Emirates and some weeks of summer on spanish Costas did they bit , to influence my thinking in my late years ;
also I rember wonderful X-mas/New Years' days in Toronto , lovely snowy winters in Zuerich und Umgebueng , freezing to the bone in St.Petersburg but sweating it out horribly in smelly Hong Kong ...
which is why I also mentioned some places with 4 seasons and bearable climate , good medical arrangements and manageable tax situations , not too remote from U.K. etc ;
An additional hint :
wait until you are again exposed to British NHS , London transport , English pricing , the rudeness , ignorance and illiteracy of common youngsters here , the uselesness of most tradesmen and of huuge bureaucracy , who are ALWAYS RIGHT , at yr expense ...you might yet learn to fall hopelessly in love w. Bruxelles , I fear !?
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks again for all of the new replies It's so interesting to hear your thoughts and really drives home that there are so many places to consider.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.