British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   The best Europe has to offer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/best-europe-has-offer-221426/)

amiami1 Apr 1st 2004 12:51 pm

The best Europe has to offer

Hi everyone,

I live in the UK and want to move elsewhere in Europe within a year. The choice of where is something I find a bit difficult. I have no preferance to location/language and am willing to make a lot of effort.

First let me tell you that the things I find the most important are: Low cost of living, Cheap housing (england is just so expensive!) and big houses would be great too! Good education and Welfare system. Weather is also important but places like Sweden are still ok by me.

I've been looking into some rankings and survays:
According to the UN human developtment research the best 20 countries (2003) are (from best to worst): Norway, Iceland, Sweden, Australia, Netherlands, Belgium, United States, Canada, Japan, Switzerland, Denmark, Ireland, Britain, Finland, Luxembourg, Austria, France, Germany, Spain and New Zealand

Where as according to the Mercer study, the best cities in the world are: 1) Zurich 2) Geneva, Vancouver, Vienna (tie) 3) Auckland, Bern, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Sydney 4)Amsterdam, Munich.

I don't qualify to anywhere outside Europe and Switzerland/Norway are not a valid option. So what's left for me is to ask you guys... I've been looking into Sweden and The Netherlands. Seems as so Sweden is too cold/not much housing available.

Look forward to hearing form you.

din Apr 1st 2004 3:11 pm

Hi,
hm, I can tell you where NOT to go if you want cheap housing & cheap living: Ireland. It's a great country and all, but bloody expensive & the welfare system is kinda crappy too (excuse my language...)

second of the countries NOT to go to: Germany - come on, 80 million Germans is a reason not to move there...;-)

But try the Netherlands (you shouldnt have a lot of problems with the language as most of them speak English anyway) or even Denmark! They have a good education system and a good welfare system too!

Noortje Apr 6th 2004 11:32 am

Belgium all the way.
We even have a better social security system than in the Netherlands. Hmm... I thought Belgium was on the 5th place according to the UN ranking, instead of the 6th.

Oh well...

Dolphingirl Apr 6th 2004 12:19 pm

Re: The best Europe has to offer

Don't want much do you?? Why don't you go somewhere, live and decide if you like it or not? Or are you happy as long as it's a big house, the welfare looks after you and the education is good, is that paying or not paying?

Try Croatia, the houses are big, the weather is good, and your children will probably get a good education on life if nothing else and it's cheap and the people are friendly.

Originally posted by amiami1
Hi everyone,

I live in the UK and want to move elsewhere in Europe within a year. The choice of where is something I find a bit difficult. I have no preferance to location/language and am willing to make a lot of effort.

First let me tell you that the things I find the most important are: Low cost of living, Cheap housing (england is just so expensive!) and big houses would be great too! Good education and Welfare system. Weather is also important but places like Sweden are still ok by me.

I've been looking into some rankings and survays:
According to the UN human developtment research the best 20 countries (2003) are (from best to worst): Norway, Iceland, Sweden, Australia, Netherlands, Belgium, United States, Canada, Japan, Switzerland, Denmark, Ireland, Britain, Finland, Luxembourg, Austria, France, Germany, Spain and New Zealand

Where as according to the Mercer study, the best cities in the world are: 1) Zurich 2) Geneva, Vancouver, Vienna (tie) 3) Auckland, Bern, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Sydney 4)Amsterdam, Munich.

I don't qualify to anywhere outside Europe and Switzerland/Norway are not a valid option. So what's left for me is to ask you guys... I've been looking into Sweden and The Netherlands. Seems as so Sweden is too cold/not much housing available.

Look forward to hearing form you.

jdr Apr 6th 2004 6:38 pm

Originally posted by Dolphingirl
Don't want much do you?? Why don't you go somewhere, live and decide if you like it or not? Or are you happy as long as it's a big house, the welfare looks after you and the education is good, is that paying or not paying?

Try Croatia, the houses are big, the weather is good, and your children will probably get a good education on life if nothing else and it's cheap and the people are friendly.

:D :D :D

I think she`s going in the wrong direction....get a day trip to Paris and return to England as an asylum seeker, even if you are a one legged roofer ;) ;)

amiami1 Apr 6th 2004 11:39 pm

Hi,

Thank you all for your comments.

I've been investigating further. Conside Denmark and Belgium. As a country Belgium ranks higher than Denmark (considerably). But with when looking at cities, Copenhagen ranks higher than brussels.
Belgium, Sweden, Denmark and The Netherlands seem like to best of the lot.
How do you figure? How can we understand this gap between city and country raking?

for reference please look at this link http://www.imercer.com/globalcontent...ewsrelease.asp
http://www.mercerhr.com/pressrelease...DQOCAKMZSI4I2C

Again, thank for your comments !

zads Apr 7th 2004 5:28 pm

Originally posted by jdr
:D :D :D

I think she`s going in the wrong direction....get a day trip to Paris and return to England as an asylum seeker, even if you are a one legged roofer ;) ;)

don't forget the fingerless electrician!!!!!

jdr Apr 7th 2004 8:23 pm

Originally posted by zads
don't forget the fingerless electrician!!!!!
At least he wont get a shock... the other poor bugger might fall off the roof...:D :D

zads Apr 8th 2004 4:23 pm

Originally posted by jdr
At least he wont get a shock... the other poor bugger might fall off the roof...:D :D
how's he going to get up there? forklift?

jdr Apr 8th 2004 7:13 pm

Originally posted by zads
how's he going to get up there? forklift?

:D :D ^
/ \

Manc Apr 9th 2004 1:18 pm

Hi everyone,
Good education and Welfare system.
why welfare system? Looking to live on the dole?

I Luv Bulgaria Apr 10th 2004 12:17 am

There is only one place that you should consider and that is Bulgaria. Everything is so cheap you can live like a king and the best areas of Bulgaria are equal to British/western standards. Try www.bulgarianproperties.com

amiami1 Apr 10th 2004 1:07 pm

But Bulgeria seems to be a difficult country to live in. Education system / Economy / Jobs / Helath system....

jdr Apr 11th 2004 8:03 am

But Bulgeria seems to be a difficult country to live in. Education system / Economy / Jobs / Helath system....
You seem to know all the answers.... so why ask....:confused:

amiami1 Apr 11th 2004 8:55 am

:)

Naa I don't know any of the answers....

Really... I am finding it very difficult to decide (especially when I consider the netherlands, sweden, denamrk, belgium and norway)

Really apperciate your comments.