Reload this Page >

(BELGIUM) I would like to move to Germany

(BELGIUM) I would like to move to Germany

Old Jun 14th 2018, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

RobertCali is an unknown quantity at this point
Question (BELGIUM) I would like to move to Germany

Good afternoon everybody

I am Robert, I have been living in Belgium for 10 years. Now my family and I would like to move to Germany. We have travelled so many times in this country, so we fell in love with it ! There are more open spaces, parks, beautiful landscapes but also a lot of cultures (especially in Berlin actually). Germany is also well-know for its delicious specialities and its quality of life (I may mention this point because it's completely different from Belgium according to me!).

We definitely want to move but we didn't do it during 10 years. I feel a bit confused... I don't know how to proceed, I don't even know where to start.... Could someone from Belgium or Europe help me ? Do I need to call any society especially ?
Old Jun 14th 2018, 5:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (BELGIUM) I would like to move to Germany

Which passport(s) do you and your family hold? Do you speak German? What do you plan to do for money?
Old Jun 15th 2018, 6:17 am
Just Joined

We have a Belgian ID card, it is supposed to be valid for every member state of the EU, doesn't it ? My wife is a German speaker and I planned to learn this language with my children during our first months in Germany (I just know some words like Hello, Thank you, etc.).
Old Jun 15th 2018, 7:06 am
Just Joined

I already have sufficient reserves to meet my expenses. I think it will be OK
Old Jun 15th 2018, 7:28 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobertCali
I already have sufficient reserves to meet my expenses. I think it will be OK
Post again in the German forum above or try the "Toytown" forum. If Germany is anything like France, you must prove sufficient resources (= a regular source of income) in order to qualify for residency, not to mention healthcare coverage.
How old are your children? If they are older than Primary School age, they'll have problems being thrown in at the deep end in a Secondary School if they don't speak German.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 10:56 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Belgian ID card, it is supposed to be valid for every member state of the EU, doesn't it ? My wife is a German speaker and I planned to learn this language with my children during our first months in Germany (I just know some words like Hello, Thank you, etc.).
So you are Belgian citizens or British citizens with permanent residency in Belgium? The distinction will be important after Brexit.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 11:14 am
Just Joined

My children are 4 and 7 years old and anyway, my wife speaks German with them
I'm Belgian citizen

Thanks Pet' for your tips
Old Jun 18th 2018, 11:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pet' for your tips
Ignore his 'tips', he's just a spammer so personally I'd steer well clear of the company he suggested. Any company that pays somebody to pretend to be a customer and post fake reviews about them on a forum should be avoided at all costs IMO!

Good luck with your move.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 12:17 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

My children are 4 and 7 years old and anyway, my wife speaks German with them
I'm Belgian citizen
So, no problem on the Education front!
Why not post again in the dedicated Germany forum above? Members there obviously don't read the general Europe section.... They'll be able to advise on Residency Conditions.
I don't wish to be nosey, but is your wife of German mother tongue? (German/Austrian/CH/FL?). I find it easier now to speak French to my adult children but since their father's French and were born in France, they haven't picked up my accent and/or errors!!
Old Jun 19th 2018, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you plan to find work? Do you have medical insurance? Speak to a tax advisor about taxation.
Are you EU p.port holder?
Old Jun 20th 2018, 2:22 pm

As a Belgian citizen you can just cross the border with your family and set up home. Finding employment is likely to be your priority.