Offered to work in Netherlands/Switzerland

Offered to work in Netherlands/Switzerland

Old Sep 18th 2017, 7:47 am
Just Joined

pd82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Offered to work in Netherlands/Switzerland

Hi all:

Looking for some advice please.

I live in the UK with my family and I have been offered a great permanent role with a Swiss/Dutch company.

They want me to relocate to the Netherlands or Switzerland (my choice) to do this job but I am not keen on uprooting my young family from the UK, I might consider it in a couple of years but I can't at the moment. I also own a house here in the UK and don't really want to sell up at the moment either.

They provided me an option we could explore which is to hire me as a contractor on a 2 year contract. Keep my family and home in the UK, but travel out between the Netherlands and Switzerland 4 days a week on most weeks of the year. They would pay travel expenses and I already have a UK LTD company which I used for doing freelance work previously in the UK. Although they are unsure what tax issues they may get into.

I am a british citizen and have been a resident of the UK since birth.

I had a few questions I hope someone might be able to help with:
1. I'll be travelling out and spending somewhere in the region of 150-200 days of the first year of my contract out of the UK and mostly in the Netherlands and some in Switzerland. Does that throw up any particular issues for me (eg tax)?

2. Would a European based company paying a UK LTD company and pulling them into their country throw up any tax issues for them?

3. Should I be thinking more creatively about how to do this and relocate myself but keep my house and family in the UK? I couldn't think how this would be economical as in this scenario the employer would not pay for travel each week back to the UK unless I can negotiate that as part of the relocation package.

4. BREXIT! This is a risk and with little detail on what is happening I can’t be sure which approach would limit risk of being out of a job!

4. Anything else I need to consider!?

Thanks
Old Sep 24th 2017, 2:19 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offered to work in Netherlands/Switzerland

I would suggest that you read through this:

Posted workers - Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion - European Commission

I think that the proposal put forward sounds fine. However, I would take professional advice.....

Brexit?? Where's the crystal ball? I'm still hoping I will wake up and it was all a dream.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 5:57 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offered to work in Netherlands/Switzerland

Originally Posted by pd82
1. I'll be travelling out and spending somewhere in the region of 150-200 days of the first year of my contract out of the UK and mostly in the Netherlands and some in Switzerland. Does that throw up any particular issues for me (eg tax)?
I *think* that most countries tend to get interested for tax purposes after 180 days. That said, before I permanently relocated to Switzerland some 27 years ago, I was working for a UK based company and spending the bulk of my time between Frankfurt and Geneva for a couple of years. I was officially UK based, paid a UK salary and thus never had any dealings with tax authorities in either country - DE or CH. It's all about domicile.

For accommodation, I rented a room (privately) in both cities as I used to move between them quite often, with regular brief trips back to the UK.

2. Would a European based company paying a UK LTD company and pulling them into their country throw up any tax issues for them?
Shouldn't do as long as they have their ducks in a row. Are you being treated as a test case, perchance?

3. Should I be thinking more creatively about how to do this and relocate myself but keep my house and family in the UK? I couldn't think how this would be economical as in this scenario the employer would not pay for travel each week back to the UK unless I can negotiate that as part of the relocation package.
Nothing wrong with creative thinking! Not quite answering your question I know, but when I did my two-year stint, I was offered two scenarios; (a) UK salary, the sleaziest hotel they could find and the occasional paid trip back to blighty or (b) UK salary + 30% and you're on your own matey. I chose option (b) and never regretted it.

It can't hurt to ask...

4. BREXIT! This is a risk and with little detail on what is happening I can’t be sure which approach would limit risk of being out of a job!
If you do manage to find a crystal ball, please share its availability with us.

I'm a Brit married to a Dutch lady, and we're in the process of quitting Switzerland for Belgium. I too am slightly nervous about a potential BREXIT lash-up, and wish to get established in the EU before push comes to shove.

If you do end up deciding to re-locate, I strongly recommend NOT relocating to Switzerland; go for NL. The Swiss will welcome you in (providing you have a job offer) but try getting out...

4. Anything else I need to consider!?
Tons of stuff, most of which will only become apparent after you've made your decision.

Best of luck!