Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Beginning to research US to UK move

Beginning to research US to UK move

Old Feb 20th 2004, 4:30 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jdr
EU citizens can work anywhere in the EU, US citizen will prob need a visa to get into England to live let alone work, and dont put your nail scissors in your hand luggage... or they will deport you....
Check to see if you may qualify for an EEA Family Permit. (Once the Slovak Republic is admitted to the EU I believe that you will).

It's good for 5 years residence I seem to recall and the processing is FREE.

"Under EC law, EEA Nationals who have travelled to another State of the EEA to exercise their ‘Treaty rights’ are entitled to bring to that country their family members, who are given the same rights to reside and work there on the same basis as the principal entrant.

‘Family members’ are:

spouse

children under 21 or dependant on their parents

dependant grandchildren

non-dependent grandchildren under 21 (in the case of workers only)

dependant relatives in the ascending line (e.g. parents, grandparents)

Depending on the status of the principal entrant to the UK, there are some variations in the family members who will be allowed to come into the UK.
Could it make an difference to entry, if a family member is not an EEA national ? The answer is ‘yes’. A non-EEA family member intending to accompany the principal entrant to the UK must get an EEA Family Permit.

If the non-EEA family member is coming to visit the principal entrant, and is the national of a country whose visitors need a visa to enter the UK, then that family member will also need to get an EEA Family Permit. But if the non-EEA family member is from a country whose visitors do not need a visa to enter the UK, an EEA Family Permit is not necessary, as long as the family member is staying in the UK for less than 6 months.

An EEA Family Permit is proof of the non-EEA family member’s eligibility to enter the UK under EC law. An EEA Permit is free of charge, and has to be applied for in the country in which the non-EEA family member is living. Application should be made to the nearest British Embassy, High Commission or other British Diplomatic Post. "
Old Feb 20th 2004, 4:35 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by manc1976
also Violet, Britain will not be opening their doors right away to the nationals of new member states of the EU.

Only Ireland as it stands will be doing so.
I think that you're wrong.

I believe that it's Ireland and the UK.

This is from the IND website.

"Will European Economic Area Nationals and family members have to pay the charges?

European Economic Area Nationals and their family members do not normally need leave to remain in the United Kingdom, so charges will not normally apply to them. If they do need to apply for leave to remain, however, charges will apply. You can get more information on EEA nationals and their family members by contacting IND.

Nationals of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia will be in the same position as EEA Nationals once they become full members of the European Union on 1 May 2004."
Old Feb 20th 2004, 4:50 am
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by violet
Thank you everyone for your replies.

I have a couple things I wanted to add:

I’m not sure how I offended anyone as I specifically said a US to UK move. I didn’t mention Europe at all, only the EU which the UK is a member of.

To expand on my husband’s skillset, as I don’t think handyman is the right word, he’s the kind of guy you call when you want to remodel your kitchen and bathroom. He has extensive experience and has worked in multimillion dollar homes (so he’s polite, professional, clean, and works hard). When we were in London, from some conversations we had with people, we got the impression someone like my husband would be in demand. It appears good contractors are hard to find no matter where you live.

As for me, health care is a concern b/c I have asthma and I can’t go without some access to medical care. So thanks, for your answers there. I guess I would have to find a private policy or something.

Either way, before we make a firm decision we will be going back to the UK for another visit.

Violet
Get a private policy if you want to but you won't need one.

Everyone is entitled to no fee emergency care - even tourists.

There are also other no fee exceptions.

Provided you are eligible the NHS would give you non emergency care at no charge. In reality even those not entitled are treated and it is exceptionally rare for them to be charged.

Below is a quote regarding eligibility.

A 1999 government circular about eligibility of ‘overseas visitors’ to receive free health care says that the NHS is primarily for the benefit of people who live in the UK. It is therefore considered that eligibility to receive free medical treatment should relate to whether a person is ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK and not to nationality, the payment of national insurance contributions or taxes. The important term throughout this discussion is whether somebody is ordinarily resident under English law, which is a matter to be decided by the courts rather than by the government. The courts have decided that somebody is ordinarily resident in the UK if they are lawfully living in the UK, voluntarily and for a settled purpose as part of the regular order of their lives for the time being. This wording is both precise and ambiguous, leaving a lot of scope to challenge the decisions. There is an idea that people who are coming to live in the UK for more than six months count as ordinarily resident. But this ‘six months’ is an arbitrary figure and it is not laid down in law.

You may also find the rest of the article interesting:

http://www.picum.org/DOCUMENTATION/UK/BSRukhc.htm
Old Feb 21st 2004, 5:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
You'll need a visa based on your marriage to an EU citizen. However marrying an EU citizen doesn't give you carte blanche to work all over the place. You'd be limited to the country of his citizenship. He on the other hand isn't limited in that way.

Healthcare wise it varies.
sibs, not sure how it works in every EU country, but I got a marriage-based residency/work permit in Greece via my UKC spouse.
A couple of people online told me it couldn't be done, so clearly some countries won't accomodate the USC based on 'any" EUC.