British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Bank Help required!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/bank-help-required-115200/)

Martyn Oct 31st 2002 10:17 pm

Bank Help required!!

I'm no financial wiz kid, so when is comes to choosing a spanish bank so I can send funds from my HSBC account, I'm completely lost!!
I would like to gets funds from here to Spain without major transfere charges, be able to have a Spanish cash card which I could use throughout the Barcelona area and have the usual services such as direct debits etc. If anyone can advise me which is the best way to start I would be very grateful. Many Thanks.:rolleyes:

chathamtel Nov 6th 2002 11:00 pm

Re: Bank Help required!!

Originally posted by Martyn
I'm no financial wiz kid, so when is comes to choosing a spanish bank so I can send funds from my HSBC account, I'm completely lost!!
I would like to gets funds from here to Spain without major transfere charges, be able to have a Spanish cash card which I could use throughout the Barcelona area and have the usual services such as direct debits etc. If anyone can advise me which is the best way to start I would be very grateful. Many Thanks.:rolleyes:

Cheapest way is by low value cross border payment. HSBC call is worldpay. As long as you are sending below £2000 equivalent it will cost between £7 and £9 depending on which bank its going to. This is a fixed charge, no matter how much you send and will take about a week to get there. If you want to send more than £2000 it will cost from £15 upwards depending on the amount. HSBC have a couple of offices out there but I dont think there is a branch network like in France or the UK. Check www.hsbc.com . If they dont have a branch network, your local branch in the Uk can contact their Correspondent Bank dept in London for a bank they use in Spain. Its then up to you if you want to use that one or go for another bank that will consider opening an account for you to get the cash card. Opening an account in another country, even if it is in the EU 'can' be a bit drawnout so allow plenty of time. If you are going on holiday to the area you want the account in, try and have a word with other ex-pats there to see what their experiences are with local banks. Dont expect the Spanish bank to operate the same as the UK banks. Day to day banking can be expensive compared to UK based banks and they may not offer all the services you are used to. Have a chat with your local branch there is bound to be someone there who can talk it over with you. Good luck. Tel.

Martyn Nov 7th 2002 8:03 am

Re: Bank Help required!!

Originally posted by chathamtel
Cheapest way is by low value cross border payment. HSBC call is worldpay. As long as you are sending below £2000 equivalent it will cost between £7 and £9 depending on which bank its going to. This is a fixed charge, no matter how much you send and will take about a week to get there. If you want to send more than £2000 it will cost from £15 upwards depending on the amount. HSBC have a couple of offices out there but I dont think there is a branch network like in France or the UK. Check www.hsbc.com . If they dont have a branch network, your local branch in the Uk can contact their Correspondent Bank dept in London for a bank they use in Spain. Its then up to you if you want to use that one or go for another bank that will consider opening an account for you to get the cash card. Opening an account in another country, even if it is in the EU 'can' be a bit drawnout so allow plenty of time. If you are going on holiday to the area you want the account in, try and have a word with other ex-pats there to see what their experiences are with local banks. Dont expect the Spanish bank to operate the same as the UK banks. Day to day banking can be expensive compared to UK based banks and they may not offer all the services you are used to. Have a chat with your local branch there is bound to be someone there who can talk it over with you. Good luck. Tel.

Many Thanks Tel for the info and taking time out to reply, very much appreciated.

Best Regards

Martin