Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Baku Job Offer - Need location advice...

Baku Job Offer - Need location advice...

Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

andrewmorton288 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baku Job Offer - Need location advice...

I am considering taking a job based in Baku and am trying to find out what life there will be like as an expat. I currently live in the UK, but have worked as an expat before in China and Australia.

I would be travelling out there with my wife plus 2 cats (no kids)

Any information or advice is greatly received. In particular on:

Quality of accomodation and options on where to live.
Are there lots of good restaurants?
Is it a nice place to live?
What would it be like for my wife in the day whilst I am at work?
Is there a good expat network?
What would it be like for our 2 cats? Could they go outside?
Hospitals (company would pay for private medical)
Cost of living.
Availability of Western supermarket food.
Would you recommend living in Baku?

Appreciate that you might not be able to answer all the questions, but any inforamtion you can provide will be very helpful in helping us make out decision.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

KellyU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Baku Job Offer - Need location advice...

We are also considering moving to Baku - as my husband may have a job there in the new year. I am having a very difficult time trying to find any info. Did you happen to find anything out that could be useful to me? We have a 16 month old some and i am a little uncomfortable moving to an ex-soviet country that i don't know allot about. All the info i have been able to find is that it is dirty and super polluted but has great history and beautiful areas surrounding the city. Any info. that you have would be sooo helpful!

Thank you so very much.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by andrewmorton288 View Post
I am considering taking a job based in Baku and am trying to find out what life there will be like as an expat. I currently live in the UK, but have worked as an expat before in China and Australia.

I would be travelling out there with my wife plus 2 cats (no kids)

Any information or advice is greatly received. In particular on:

Quality of accomodation and options on where to live.
Are there lots of good restaurants?
Is it a nice place to live?
What would it be like for my wife in the day whilst I am at work?
Is there a good expat network?
What would it be like for our 2 cats? Could they go outside?
Hospitals (company would pay for private medical)
Cost of living.
Availability of Western supermarket food.
Would you recommend living in Baku?

Appreciate that you might not be able to answer all the questions, but any inforamtion you can provide will be very helpful in helping us make out decision.
I have not worked in Baku but have worked in Atyrau in neighbouring Kazakhstan which is similar. Remember, these are post-Soviet countries where foreign workers go for the money and not the lifestyle, mostly in the oil/gas industry. It would certainly not be safe to let your cats out unless you had a secure garden. Animal (and human) welfare is way down with many strays wondering around, probably diseased. To live like a westerner, the cost of living would most likely be high but there will be western supermarkets. I would go on your own first and take a look and make a determination from there. The whole region is corrupt and unstable and riots have occurred.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 7:05 am
Just Joined

ryanp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kelly & Andrew, did either of you come to Baku? can you answer any of the questions that you had then? I am considering a position here bringing my wife and 2 daughters (2 & 7) and am most concerned about my wife and family having a life around other like situationed people.
look forward to your replies , thanks
Ryan
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Sabb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kelly, Ryan & Andrew,
Did any of you move to Baku?
My husband is considering a job offer. We would be moving from London with 2 small children, in nursery/pre-school, by beginning next year.
All the posts I've found here are a bit dated. I know the town is booming so I would appreciate some update on how it is now to live there with a family.

Thanks a lot!