British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   AUSTRIA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/austria-864321/)

mah88 Aug 30th 2015 12:29 am

AUSTRIA

Any expats living and working in Austria?

I was thinking of trying of moving over there at some point (specifically Vienna) for a new experience.

I don't speak much German, but how much of a problem would this be in Vienna?

How easy is it to just find a job, pack up and move there?

Thanks!

GeniB Sep 3rd 2015 12:12 pm

Re: AUSTRIA

You are kidding? Arn't you?

mah88 Sep 6th 2015 10:50 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 11739610)
You are kidding? Arn't you?

Yeah I was being sarcastic. Sarcastically looking for help moving to a country where a lot of people speak English. A country which also has a thriving economy. Sarcastically asking this because no-one in the history of humanity has ever just moved to another country for a new experience despite not knowing the language. I would like to hear about such a person's experience...sarcastically of course.

BritInParis Sep 6th 2015 10:54 am

I wouldn't move without a job to go to especially if I didn't speak German. Given its Cold War neutrality there are many UN agencies and other international organisations based there that would primarily only require you to speak English. I would peruse their vacancies pages if I was seriously thinking of moving there (which incidentally I am).

mah88 Sep 6th 2015 10:57 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11741792)
I wouldn't move without a job to go to especially if I didn't speak German. Given its Cold War neutrality there are many UN agencies and other international organisations based there that would primarily only require you to speak English. I would peruse their vacancies pages if I was seriously thinking of moving there (which incidentally I am).

Thanks for the help! I do happen to speak other languages just not much German. Plus I already have an Austrian friend so I'm sure that would help.

themajor Sep 6th 2015 11:01 am

There is a Vienna forum. Who are most helpful as they are mostly ex-pats who live there. We are just back from Vienna after a two hol there. Nearly everyone speaks English. Lots of vacancies in the retail trade.

Good luck

mah88 Sep 6th 2015 11:05 am

Originally Posted by themajor (Post 11741800)
There is a Vienna forum. Who are most helpful as they are mostly ex-pats who live there. We are just back from Vienna after a two hol there. Nearly everyone speaks English. Lots of vacancies in the retail trade.

Good luck

Thanks. Could you give me the link, please? I couldn't find it. I've been to Graz and found the same thing :)

themajor Sep 6th 2015 11:12 am

Originally Posted by mah88 (Post 11741801)
Thanks. Could you give me the link, please? I couldn't find it. I've been to Graz and found the same thing :)

Vienna Forum, Travel Discussion for Vienna, Austria – TripAdvisor

If this does not open up go to Google and type Vienna Tripadvisor.

Hope it works for you.

Yup it works.

mah88 Sep 6th 2015 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by themajor (Post 11741804)
Vienna Forum, Travel Discussion for Vienna, Austria – TripAdvisor

If this does not open up go to Google and type Vienna Tripadvisor.

Hope it works for you.

Yup it works.

Ahh in tripadvisor. Ok thanks, I'll have a look!