British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Applied for a job in gibraltar, a little advice please people (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/applied-job-gibraltar-little-advice-please-people-318672/)

BlueScottyGirl Nov 14th 2005 3:58 pm

Re: Applied for a job in gibraltar, a little advice please people

Just a thought........have you considered Ireland?

The IT industry is booming, you wouldn't have to worry about education, that's brilliant here. It's similar to a life in the UK but different enough to be a bit of an adventure.

Work in Dublin, live somewhere outside and commute. Pop up to the Ireland forum and check out some of our recent discussions. You might be surprised.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

loli Nov 25th 2005 12:54 pm

Hi, we came over to live in La linea in July2005, we also have 2 children ages 10&7.We found that it was cheaper to rent a house in La Linea for 600euros a month, many of our friends have also done this. My husband was very fortunate and got a job in Gibraltar with an online gambing company within weeks of our arrival.Our house in England has been rented out, never sell unless you are sure you don`t want to return back.Our children go to school in Gib, the education is very good.But because we are not Gib residents, we have to pay for the state education.In July2005 the fees were agreed at £650 a term per child.But within 4 weeks of the school term they went up to £920 a term per child, although they are british kids.There was nothing I could do.Your kids are still very young so they can go to school in La linea, many english kids go there and most spanish kids learn english.If you are adamant that you want your kids to have a british education, it is cheaper to send them to the private school in Gib, called Loretto Convent. I wished I had known this before my saga had started.A way around it, is to get a Gib address. I have been trying to buy a flat in Gib, but there are many restrictions, most of the affordable places can only be sold to Gibraltarians, or you need to have worked in Gib for 3 years.Otherwise you are looking at grotty flats or luxury apartments. The Gibraltarians look afterthemselves first.There are no restrictions for gibraltarians to buy in Spain/England, nor are they charged for state education. Also, they claim to be very british, but they donot speak to other english/spanish parents at school or work place.Those are the negatives. The rest is all good. Today, in November we are walking about in sunglasses and sweaters. Tax is 35% in Gib, but if you are married with kids, your tax code will be 42. Also if you are fortunate enough to buy in gib, the tax relief and first time buyers allowance are brilliant. Also there is no capital gains or inheritance tax.We walk to Gib everyday, it takes 20 minutes tops.It`s not worth driving in.There is a very good bus service in Gib.If there is no signs post to Gib, it`s because you would have to be blind not to see Gib, from miles around.Living in Spain is also cheaper , bills are next to nothing and food shopping is so much cheaper. You can install SKY for about £300 and pay £20 amth, and get all the channels you want.If you miss the UK. Gib has M&S, BHS, Safeways, Topshop, Next etc and the Queens Cinema, which is presently showwing Harry Porter. Life is too short, take the gamble, you will not regrett it. And if it doesn`t work out, you go back to England.It`s better to have tried then to be left wandering.

Originally Posted by ricflair
Hi, Today ive applied for a few jobs in gibraltar that i am easilly qualified for. Wether i get them is a totally different matter, but having a wife and 2 children i though its best to try and find some more infomation out , as if i dont get this job ill keep looking as i want out of the uk for my famiys sake.

Main questions are what is the taxation situation when working in gibraltar and what sort of money would i expect to pay for a 3 bed house outside of gibraltar both to buy and to rent. The scenario would be rent out our uk home, and either rent or buy in spain, however i have fears that spanish property costs a fortune.

Another worry i have is the childrens schooling and making friends. They are 1 and 4 .

Any advice please?

kayfur Jan 7th 2006 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by rushman
If I were you I would forget the idea of working in Gibraltar and living in Spain.
Some days you'll take maybe 3 to 5 hours to cross the border in your car.
There are numerous reasons for this but I believe that the main one is simply that Spain wants Gibraltar back and wants to make things harder for the Gibraltarians. For example, Gibralter isn't even sign posted anywhere in Spain. To find Gibralter you have to follow signs for "La Linea De La Conception".

British tourists and holiday makers entering Spain from Gibralter are frequently stopped and searched taking at least 45 minutes and may encounter the same scenario returning to Gibraltar.
"Ah..but I'll park my car in La Linea and walk over the border and through the Airport to work" OK...then come back to either no car or a burnt out wreck. La Linea is the barbary coast, a lot of drugs, crime and poverty (bare in mind that the majority of ceased Spanish narcotics come from Morocco and the favoured route is not far from Gibraltar.
If you want to work in Gibraltar, to be perfectly honest, you have to also live there and I think you'll be the luckiest man alive to find a 3 bedroom house in Gib.
I love the place but living there is not going to be easy.
Can't tell you much about the taxes except that the last time I was there (1996ish) a carton of 200 cigarettes was 5GBP in Safeways, Gibraltar and 41.50 GBP in Britain, needless to say I made a bloody fortune!! ;)
I never lived in Gibraltar but travelled there every week for over a year.
You'll love it but forget the live in Spain part and your kids will have to pick up the local language, "Gibberish". I kid you not, a cross between, Spanish (Andalucian dialect I believe), Moroccan Arabic and a pinch of English thrown in for good measure. Quite amusing to listen to.
Good Luck

Hi,

I don't know where you get that negative idea about La L�*nea from, but, mate, you are totally wrong. It's true that there are drugs and all that, but you just think of England and then you can compare, right? You can find a really nice home a hell of a lot cheaper than in a rundown state in any british town and the chances of getting a neighbour from hell are quite smaller in La L�*nea or anywhere near there. I am Andalusian and I have been thousands of times in Gibraltar and I can tell that the description you give about the Gibberish is not quite right. There is no Moroccan arabic in it, it's just spanglish. I have been living in Newcastle-upon-Tyne for a number of years and surrounded by geordies. Quite amusing to listen to.

Good luck to you mate, and have a happy 2006.

loli Jan 7th 2006 9:19 pm

Hi Kayfur, Where have you been?
Yes, you are right back in 1995/6, La Linea was in a bad state, but come over now and you will be pleasantly surprised.
I promise you, I would not have moved over from England with my kids if things hadn`t changed. My husband was unemployed in the Uk for 2 years, and within 2 weeks of our arrival he was working in Gibraltar.There`s plenty of work here if you want it.Don`t know where you got your information from about having to live in Gib in order to work.We have just rented a flat in Main Street for next to nothing, try and do that in the UK. :)
La Linea & Gib have police everywhere so you feel very safe walking about, obviously like all towns there`s a section that you should avoid. :scared: The gibraltarians speak spanglish, there`s no Moroccan in it, unless you are speaking to the bus driver on the No.10!! We also have a house in La Linea, and it`s such a lovely place to live, and very cheap!! There is always some fiesta going on .My family has done more in our 5 months of living here than we were ever able to do back in England. Yes, you are right Gibraltar is British, but it`s inhabitants only want to be so as it protects them and Britain only wants it , so it too can have a say in non EEC politics.In truth though, the gibraltarians are neither spanish nor english as they are completely different to either in the way they speak and act, they are pure and simply Gibraltarians.If Spain were to close the frontier again Gibraltar would suffer terribly as they go to Spain for all their shopping and also spend their weekends down the coast in their spanish apartments.It is true that La Linea would also suffer as history has taught us.But we are all trying to live in harmony and to get on with our neighbours.Quality of life for us has improved 100% living in Spain, and we know that our Gibraltarian families and friends also have a pretty good life.My husband, who is 40 was born & bred in the UK.He thought that he would miss the UK once in Spain but the opposite has been the case & he often quotes " I would never go back to live in England !!!!! ". The only thing that can spoil the pleasent atmosphere whilst having a drink in a bar with the family, be it in Gibraltar or Spain, is the loud and rowdy behaviour of some english lager louts, who feel that they have to swallow their drink whilst saying the f word every other word. :beer:
I have an elderly aunt & uncle who live in an old people`s sheltered housing in Gibraltar and they couldn`t be in a better place it`s like a hotel, they are always doing things and all the residents are full of life and very active, you couldn`t say the same of the elderly back in the UK, and I should know as I use to look after the elderly. Next time, you think of criticising La Linea & Gibraltar you should get your facts up to date!!

kayfur Jan 8th 2006 11:09 am

Originally Posted by loli
Hi Kayfur, Where have you been?
Yes, you are right back in 1995/6, La Linea was in a bad state, but come over now and you will be pleasantly surprised.
I promise you, I would not have moved over from England with my kids if things hadn`t changed. My husband was unemployed in the Uk for 2 years, and within 2 weeks of our arrival he was working in Gibraltar.There`s plenty of work here if you want it.Don`t know where you got your information from about having to live in Gib in order to work.We have just rented a flat in Main Street for next to nothing, try and do that in the UK. :)
La Linea & Gib have police everywhere so you feel very safe walking about, obviously like all towns there`s a section that you should avoid. :scared: The gibraltarians speak spanglish, there`s no Moroccan in it, unless you are speaking to the bus driver on the No.10!! We also have a house in La Linea, and it`s such a lovely place to live, and very cheap!! There is always some fiesta going on .My family has done more in our 5 months of living here than we were ever able to do back in England. Yes, you are right Gibraltar is British, but it`s inhabitants only want to be so as it protects them and Britain only wants it , so it too can have a say in non EEC politics.In truth though, the gibraltarians are neither spanish nor english as they are completely different to either in the way they speak and act, they are pure and simply Gibraltarians.If Spain were to close the frontier again Gibraltar would suffer terribly as they go to Spain for all their shopping and also spend their weekends down the coast in their spanish apartments.It is true that La Linea would also suffer as history has taught us.But we are all trying to live in harmony and to get on with our neighbours.Quality of life for us has improved 100% living in Spain, and we know that our Gibraltarian families and friends also have a pretty good life.My husband, who is 40 was born & bred in the UK.He thought that he would miss the UK once in Spain but the opposite has been the case & he often quotes " I would never go back to live in England !!!!! ". The only thing that can spoil the pleasent atmosphere whilst having a drink in a bar with the family, be it in Gibraltar or Spain, is the loud and rowdy behaviour of some english lager louts, who feel that they have to swallow their drink whilst saying the f word every other word. :beer:
I have an elderly aunt & uncle who live in an old people`s sheltered housing in Gibraltar and they couldn`t be in a better place it`s like a hotel, they are always doing things and all the residents are full of life and very active, you couldn`t say the same of the elderly back in the UK, and I should know as I use to look after the elderly. Next time, you think of criticising La Linea & Gibraltar you should get your facts up to date!!

Hi Loli,

Thanks for the reply, I just wanted to point that I wasn't being critic with La L�*nea or Gibraltar. On the contrary, I love that area for I was born and lived in La L�*nea for some time. It is true all that about the police and how nice the area is but, if you don't believe me, haven't you wondered why so many youngsters can afford to have brand new motorcycles or high profile cars? Just walk about the beach at night time and you'll see why!

Anyway, I am really happy for you and your new found lifestyle, that only adds years to your life!! And, actually, I'm trying to come back home after a long period of time, settle down there and enjoy life as only we, andalusians, do.

It's been a pleasure to exchange points of view with you Loli.

Looking forward to hear from you and with my best regards, have a lovely beginning of 2006!!!

loli Jan 14th 2006 8:42 pm

Hi Kayfur,
Well, well, after the negative things you wrote, I was surprised to hear that you are Andalusian and from La Linea!! :rolleyes:It even amused me more to read that you are planning to live here :cool: So things can`t be that bad, afterall!
Hope your move to Spain goes smoothly and a Happy New Year 2006!
After celebrating Reyes, I`m now looking forward to Los Carnavales in February, as you know we Andalusians can`t let a month go by without celebrating something! :)

Loli

meauxna Jan 14th 2006 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by loli
Hi Kayfur,
Well, well, after the negative things you wrote, I was surprised to hear that you are Andalusian and from La Linea!! :rolleyes:It even amused me more to read that you are planning to live here :cool: So things can`t be that bad, afterall!
Hope your move to Spain goes smoothly and a Happy New Year 2006!
After celebrating Reyes, I`m now looking forward to Los Carnavales in February, as you know we Andalusians can`t let a month go by without celebrating something! :)

Loli

para lo que importa..

I think that Kayfur did not write the negative comments, as you think. He was making a reply to "rushman", who DID write the negatives.

loli Jan 15th 2006 7:14 am

Hi Kayfur, A thousand apologises. It appears that you didnot write negative things about La Linea, it was Rushman, I misread the thread.I did my usual , I`m like a bull I saw red and went straight in without reading it properly.
Loli :o

ricflair Jan 16th 2006 10:42 pm

well i didnt get the job, they messed me around in the end anyway so i decided it wasnt worth the hassle.

Anyone else able to point me to some good agencies in spain that could help me?