Reload this Page >

anyone speaks Spanish?

anyone speaks Spanish?

Old Feb 4th 2004, 2:49 am
Just Joined

angelinepereira is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anyone speaks Spanish?

Hey all,

I am gonna move to the UK at the end of the year, but would really like to end up in Spain. i saw some people's comments about just making a trip to Spain to look for a job... and that's excellent advice... i shall do that.

But what i was really wanted to ask is learning the language. I was thinking of taking Spanish beginner classes here in the US... but was wondering if any Spanish speaking people could tell me if this was a good idea.... or should i just go to Spain for a few months and learn the language while immersed in the culture.

The beginner course is 8 weeks... how much would i be able to speak after 8 weeks?? Maybe not enough to get job...

Any advice would help.

Thanks all!!

angeline
Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

louisa is an unknown quantity at this point

to be honest if you can prepare before you get there then i think it will only help. it's not something you are going to learn overnight.

in 8 weeks you can learn quite a lot but you won't be fluent. i don't know if you speak any other languages, how were you at learning those? it also depends on how intensive the course is. make sure it is Castellano and not Latin American Spanish that you learn if possible find a Spaniard to teach you.

of course, when you get there and do a course, you will learn even more and will probably be more beneficial. i would definitely have some lessons before you go.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

XXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant future

Do learn first - it is not possible to learn the grammar , sentence construction etc. without formal teaching . All you will 'pick up' in Spain is how to order food/drinks and basic things like that

Try the internet - www.studyspanish.com is a free course and very good ( it is based in the US ) By using the internet you can carry on studying from anywhere in the world

When you arrive in the UK and if you are living near Manchester or Leeds enrol at the Spanish government's Instituto Cervantes for lessons - quite expensive ! They also run internet based instruction - again a fee payable
See www.cervantes.org.uk

Hope this helps
Old Feb 9th 2004, 3:14 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone speaks Spanish?

Originally posted by angelinepereira
Hey all,

I am gonna move to the UK at the end of the year, but would really like to end up in Spain. i saw some people's comments about just making a trip to Spain to look for a job... and that's excellent advice... i shall do that.

But what i was really wanted to ask is learning the language. I was thinking of taking Spanish beginner classes here in the US... but was wondering if any Spanish speaking people could tell me if this was a good idea.... or should i just go to Spain for a few months and learn the language while immersed in the culture.

The beginner course is 8 weeks... how much would i be able to speak after 8 weeks?? Maybe not enough to get job...

Any advice would help.

Thanks all!!

angeline
Most definately TAKE the course- it will at least teach you the basics required to learn how to learn Spanish. Conjugation of verbs and sentence construction and a smattering of words will give you the foundation on which to build.

I took Spanish 101 thru the USAF ffor 10 weeks, then buitlt on that....and 20 years later (lol) am almost fluent.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 3:52 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by louisa
make sure it is Castellano and not Latin American Spanish that you learn if possible find a Spaniard to teach you.
I second that. I'd learnt some American Spanish before I moved over and everyone here kept telling me I was using "horrible words". Also check the region. If you're heading to Barcelona you'll need to learn Catalan.

Once you're here in Spain most town halls run free language courses for foreigners.
Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:58 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE]Originally posted by louisa
to be honest if you can prepare before you get there then i think it will only help. it's not something you are going to learn overnight.

Hi Louisa,

Thanks!!! I didn't get an email saying i had a reply, so i thought no one replied... and now i see 4 replies I'm new here..but i'm learning.

Cool!!! thanks for the advice i will start preparing to get enrolled, i will also have to check on Castellano vs Latin. Hmmm!!! I'm getting excited... a new experience.
Old Feb 21st 2004, 1:04 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE]Originally posted by XXPEBXX
Do learn first - it is not possible to learn the grammar , sentence construction etc. without formal teaching . All you will 'pick up' in Spain is how to order food/drinks and basic things like that

Try the internet - www.studyspanish.com is a free course and very good ( it is based in the US ) By using the internet you can carry on studying from anywhere in the world

Hi

THANKS...so much. It really helps me when i get advice like this first hand. i will definitely check out the web course, i could take lessons and study online at the sametime.

I don't know where i'll end up in the UK yet..haven't been to the UK in over 14 years... but i'll keep the info handy on the spanish gov. insti.

Great advice... i am really looking forward to moving. Can't wait!
Old Feb 21st 2004, 1:07 am
Just Joined

Default Re: anyone speaks Spanish?

Originally posted by ironporer
Most definately TAKE the course- it will at least teach you the basics required to learn how to learn Spanish. Conjugation of verbs and sentence construction and a smattering of words will give you the foundation on which to build.

I took Spanish 101 thru the USAF ffor 10 weeks, then buitlt on that....and 20 years later (lol) am almost fluent.
Great!!! Thanks.... a good testimony. Maybe i will be fluent one day too

i will definitely enrol for the course..it sounds like it will be a get first step. I've never been one to learn languages fast... but hey i gotta start somewhere

Thanks again for all your advice and taking the time to reply.

Cheers!!!
Old Feb 21st 2004, 1:12 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by sibsie
I second that. I'd learnt some American Spanish before I moved over and everyone here kept telling me I was using "horrible words". Also check the region. If you're heading to Barcelona you'll need to learn Catalan.

Once you're here in Spain most town halls run free language courses for foreigners.

Ha! Ha! A good thing to know Thanks!!!

Hmmm... not that sure where in spain yet... i'll just kinda take a holiday there once i move to the UK.... a tour to check out the place. This is gonna be a huge leap of faith...i'm moving without even having visited in a long long time... but anyway, i am excited and looking forward to it.

Are u irish??? My mum is Irish, so i just got a Irish passport last year, hence my move to Europe... i'm really fed up with the US immigration.... i see u are having your interview soon... GOOD LUCK!!!!

Thanks for all the advice..really appreciate it.

angeline
Old Feb 21st 2004, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

sjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by XXPEBXX
I'd certainly second all the comments about learning some Spanish before you leave, but I would say that one
can learn the grammar and syntax without formal teaching. After all, children do!
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 11:11 am
Just Joined

ESMCCa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sjjs
I'd certainly second all the comments about learning some Spanish before you leave, but I would say that one
can learn the grammar and syntax without formal teaching. After all, children do!
Another good place to try learning the basics is the BBC.. try www.bbc.co.uk/languages

Hubbie and I have finally decided to make the move and I started looking at the BBC site while at work, it's amazing how just a few minutes a day (even going over stuff you've looked at more than once before) can make it sink in! We started beginners Spanish at our local Spanish centre last week, and I understood things better because I'd seen stuff on the BBC. I do think it's always worth looking into a language course and then pursuing the language once you get there. If you are moving to the UK why not try joining a class here? We have a girl from New Zealand in our's!

All the luck in the world to you.

Elle
Old Feb 25th 2004, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ESMCCa
Another good place to try learning the basics is the BBC.. try www.bbc.co.uk/languages

Thanks Elle,

That BBC website was great!! yah i am quite excited..i will be enrolling in the april course..missed the Feb deadline already. Thanks for all the wonderful advice..i will definitely look into Spanish classes once i'm in the UK too.

Good Luck to you too!!!

angeline
Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ESMCCa

Thanks Elle,

That BBC website was great!! yah i am quite excited..i will be enrolling in the april course..missed the Feb deadline already. Thanks for all the wonderful advice..i will definitely look into Spanish classes once i'm in the UK too.

Good Luck to you too!!!

angeline