Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone relocated to Andorra?

Anyone relocated to Andorra?

Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:57 am
Just Joined

nomadrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone relocated to Andorra?

I have been approached to set up and FM radio station in Andorra, one place I had never considered when scouting for a new place to live recently!

Has anyone in the forum ever relocated there and if so what were the experiences, difficulties etc?

Thanks
Ross Hemsworth

Last edited by jdr; Apr 21st 2008 at 11:32 am.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Netrat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone relocated to Andorra?

I've visited Andorra on snowboarding tour few month ago. It's a well developed country, but if you would like it or not depends...

First, 80% of Andorra's GDP is generated by tourism. And nearly 100% of tourists come to Andorra for Alpine skiing and snowboarding. This surely had some impact - the only things you will see in Andorra are hotels and tax-free shops. Basically, most shops sell the same set of goods and its really hard to find something special. Like, I was looking for headphones and even electronics shops only had 2 or 3 models of monitoring headphones, all from mainstream barnds like Phillips. And prices are not as low as people use to say. It's a nice place to buy boarding gear, alchohol and some kinds of clothes though. Architecture is very nice if you don't pay too much attention to the fact that every building that is not a hotel is a restaurant.

People of Andorra are essencially Spanish. They act with passion and not everyone would like it. They are not agressive at all, but very hard to be talked into something. They are not very lawful - no one is using seatbelt, even taxi drivers.

Only few people in Adnorra speak English. Don't expect bus driver, taxi driver, shop clerk or policeman to understand English!

They have to learn Spanish, Catalonian and French in Andorra, so asking for additionaly language would be too much to ask - unless they were not so tourism-oriented country.

You'll find hard time in Andorra without French or Spanish.

Like any other tourist destination, Andorra has spa centers, night clubs and resto's, but the main attractions are still the slopes. If you are into skiing or snowboarding, you'll find Andorra fun. Otherwise you'll probably get bored.

You'll need a car or motocycle to get around in Andorra. There are bus lines, but very irregilar. Bike is OK even in winter, as Andorra is very warm country.