Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone prefer a LHD in the UK and RHD on the continent

Anyone prefer a LHD in the UK and RHD on the continent

Old Jul 30th 2016, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

UHOP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone prefer a LHD in the UK and RHD on the continent

Having owned LHD and RHD cars through out the years I much prefer having a LHD in the UK and RHD in Europe I feel much safer anyone else agree ?
As I mainly drive alone.
Easier to Parallel park in tight spaces
Can walk right out to the Curb
On country roads I rarely overtake and would rather wait. Having had near misses with other drivers over taking especially in France in that position I know my passenger side is most likely to get hit. When driving around cars I can see a lot better how close I can get to to them.

Obviously if I am carrying passengers this situation is different.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone prefer a LHD in the UK and RHD on the continent

Well, I've never really thought about that, UHOP. When I was young I drove an LHD all around Britain, without trouble, but I haven't done it vice versa. You would love what the practice here in Cayman in the Caribbean. About half our cars are LHD (from the US, mainly) and half RHD (from Japan, mainly), and we all drive on the left. Mainly! US tourists usually start off each morning on the wrong side of the road - by our definition - but surprisingly there are very few accidents. We locals are a patient lot: we just slow right down when a white-licence-plate car is heading straight for us, and wait until the the drivers' passengers' screams take effect.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm conflicted on this. In Malta there are some LHD cars, more by comparison than RHD cars in Canada. I may decide to bring over a very new LHD car when I go down, because selling it in Canada and using the dosh to buy a car there will get me way way less bang for my buck. I'm not sure if i'll like driving an LHD down there though.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of

I prefer to drive the car designed for that country. Takes a few minutes to get used to switching between the two though. In fact, having spent 16 years of the 20 since I passed my test in a country where you drive on the right, that seems to be the more natural for me now, despite having learnt in the UK.

Recently Romania announced that they would oblige owners of RHD cars to take some extra classes. They calculated that there are 10'000 RHD cars in Romania at the moment and that of all accidents in which RHD cars were involved, 90% of the time the RHDer was at fault.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I think I am inclined to agree with you. Its like I said though the value of the car brought from Canada is a little hard to ignore for me. It would be a 3-4 yr old car that was brand new when I got it, and in selling it and buying a car in Malta it would give me maybe a 5 yr old car without as much extras on it.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 6:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion the disadvantages outweigh the disadvantages, with the most notable advantage being that the position of the driving seat is a good reminder as to which side of the road I should be driving on.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 6th 2016 at 7:52 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In my opinion the disadvantages outweigh the disadvantages, most notably that the position of the driving seat is a good reminder as to which side of the road I should be driving on.
I'm confused.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 7:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
I'm confused. ....
Oops. I just noticed the typo.

Another answer would be to just drive a McLaren F1 everywhere.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 6th 2016 at 7:53 pm.