British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Anyone heard of Crown Overseas?? Property Agents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/anyone-heard-crown-overseas-property-agents-632063/)

daddyoconnor Sep 22nd 2009 7:28 pm

Anyone heard of Crown Overseas?? Property Agents

Just wondered whether anyone had heard of this company.:)

I believe they are a Dundee company selling properties in Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy etc

Can anyone help:)
Thanks

Green_shutters Sep 23rd 2009 10:59 am

Re: Anyone heard of Crown Overseas?? Property Agents

Originally Posted by daddyoconnor (Post 7954878)

I believe they are a Dundee company selling properties in Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy etc

Thanks

Here's a link to their website - know nothing more I'm afraid.

http://www.crownpg.com/

jdr Sep 23rd 2009 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by daddyoconnor (Post 7954878)

Thanks

All they do is add their markup onto the price, buy direct in the country, but be very careful buying anywhere at the moment.

daddyoconnor Sep 23rd 2009 5:18 pm

Hi thanks to both of you for replies.

I have already had a look at thier link, I had just wondered whether anyone on here may have had dealings with them ....Long shot really.

My mum and dad are discussing buying some property in Turkey with them. I understand what you say about them adding thier fees on to markup price, but there is no way my mum and dad would have a clue about going it alone without using a third party agent that will arrange things for them.

Just hear quite a few horror stories about some companies and hoped to find out a bit more about this particular company before they start parting with thier money. I know they are members of the AIPP - don't know what that means other that they are members of this organisation - are they bound by any regulations etc???? Anyone know:)

Thanks again

jdr Sep 23rd 2009 5:31 pm

You have to ask yourself is them being in AIPP any comeback if things go wrong, especially in Turkey.
I assume they will be buying off plan, never buy an artists impression.
Plenty people bought off plan in Spain and with the reccesion are living in building sites with facilities cut back, not knowing when or if they will be finished.
It may not be the case in Turkey, but food for thought.

daddyoconnor Sep 23rd 2009 7:52 pm

Thanks Jdr

I hear what you are saying totally. I watch all these programmes (in fact one on TV at moment about Spain, when people have bought building sites and are having to live in unfinished homes).......

Just been on phone to my mum there and they decided not to go for the 2nd appointment today, maybe cold feet, not sure (but am quite relieved) I think they need to think about it carefully before investing in anything like this.

They are not totally against the idea, but are thinking about giving themselves more time. All thier money is tied up in thier house (which they have just finished paying for...), so they would have to sell that first. This agent was asking for £2000 for an initial deposit if they liked the apartment and then to secure it they wanted 40% of the property price within 6-8 weeks after. .........

The Agent were offering a viewing (this particular complex is all built and they only have 3 or 4 apartments left - so they say), so they could have paid £200 each to go out for 2 days to view the complex....but if they were interested they would have to pay the £2000........I do think this is more pressure on them to go there and part with money.

Anyway - like I say, They have put it on hold for a bit......I'd love them to go and do something like this, my mum especially would love to spend more time abroad, but I would prefer them to look into it a bit more and take time to think it over.....

Thanks again for all your help. Sorry about waffling on ....habit!!:D

Amanda:)

jdr Sep 24th 2009 6:45 am

Originally Posted by daddyoconnor (Post 7958515)
Thanks Jdr

I hear what you are saying totally. I watch all these programmes (in fact one on TV at moment about Spain, when people have bought building sites and are having to live in unfinished homes).......

Just been on phone to my mum there and they decided not to go for the 2nd appointment today, maybe cold feet, not sure (but am quite relieved) I think they need to think about it carefully before investing in anything like this.

They are not totally against the idea, but are thinking about giving themselves more time. All thier money is tied up in thier house (which they have just finished paying for...), so they would have to sell that first. This agent was asking for £2000 for an initial deposit if they liked the apartment and then to secure it they wanted 40% of the property price within 6-8 weeks after. .........

The Agent were offering a viewing (this particular complex is all built and they only have 3 or 4 apartments left - so they say), so they could have paid £200 each to go out for 2 days to view the complex....but if they were interested they would have to pay the £2000........I do think this is more pressure on them to go there and part with money.

Anyway - like I say, They have put it on hold for a bit......I'd love them to go and do something like this, my mum especially would love to spend more time abroad, but I would prefer them to look into it a bit more and take time to think it over.....

Thanks again for all your help. Sorry about waffling on ....habit!!:D

Amanda:)

No problem, they are doing the right thing.
Tell them to hire one of the places nearby to where they want to buy and see the location all day and all night as things change so much, even daily.
They wont get the climate changes, but they will certainly see the time of day changes there, which in some places can be dramatic. ;-))

jayjay999 Sep 24th 2009 9:31 am

hello,

i have bought 2 properties with crown overseas a very Professional company they were able to supply all reports on the properties i bought i currently own several properties 2 in turkey 4 in Italy.

These guys do not mark up properties the deal direct with the builders and developers and they get paid a finder’s fee for this whoever said go to the country direct and buy a property is JUST CRAZY you are asking for trouble.

My Tips for buying a property are
Always deal with a agent that you can visit
Always ask questions
Ask the agent if they have been to the development(s)
NEVER GO TO A COUNTRY AND GO IT ALONE A FOOL AND HIS MONIES ARE EASILY PARTED

jdr Sep 24th 2009 9:35 am

Originally Posted by jayjay999 (Post 7960383)
hello,

i have bought 2 properties with crown overseas a very Professional company they were able to supply all reports on the properties i bought i currently own several properties 2 in turkey 4 in Italy.

These guys do not mark up properties the deal direct with the builders and developers and they get paid a finder’s fee for this whoever said go to the country direct and buy a property is JUST CRAZY you are asking for trouble.

My Tips for buying a property are
Always deal with a agent that you can visit
Always ask questions
Ask the agent if they have been to the development(s)
NEVER GO TO A COUNTRY AND GO IT ALONE A FOOL AND HIS MONIES ARE EASILY PARTED

Let me guess who you work for Mmmmmm.

jayjay999 Sep 24th 2009 9:41 am

HMMM i forgot to say if a agent ask for a £2000 deposit avoid on the other hand a agent would ask for a £2000 reservation fee to take a property off the market until you view they property if they dont like it monies is return.

they should buy a property in turkey before the prices go up i have 1 in Bodrum and 1 in Akbuk i hope this helps

daddyoconnor Sep 24th 2009 11:23 am

Hi JayJay

Thanks for getting back to me about these Agents - I think I read that you had bought properties from them before - so you will have a valid opinion. Difference betwen yourself and my parents is that you obviously have a lot of experience in properties and this Agent will obviously know that, my parents don't and the Agent also will know that......

I think you were correct in the £2000 - i think the agent may have told my parents that they could get the £2000 back if they didn't want to go ahead with it.....

However my worry was how much pressure would be put on them when they get them out there for the viewing to buy i.e. what you just said about prices going up and that they should buy now......I am not doubting that the prices may go up, but if my parents were told that, along with not many properties left etc this would certainly be more pressure for them to commit to buying.

Another thing that left me slightly uneasy was that my parents had informed the agents that thier money was all tied up in thier property and that they would have to sell thier house before they were able to stump up with the 40% of the total cost of the property (which they would have needed within 6-8 weeks of paying the £2000). They agent suggested a way of getting around this would be to take out another mortage on thier property!!!!

This is a couple in thier late 60's! My dad has just retired. He had to work a few extra years to finish paying the mortage (which was an endowment, but won't go into all that....) - I can't believe someone would be advising them to take out another mortage on thier home.....(to be honest not sure who would give them one but there you go.....)....

Don't get me wrong, my mum raved on about how lovely the agents were and how she didn't feel pressure, but I am sure you can understand my concerns....If it were your parents I sure you would feel slightly uneasy. I don't live close, so it wasn't as if I could go to appointments with them. They are not wealthy by any means, have worked hard for what they have.

Anyway I am totally relieved that they made the decision to wait - They may have missed out on cheaper properties however at least they will have more of a chance to look around and get more of a feel for what is out there.

I do appreciate your feedback about this, and thanks to everyone for your comments:)

Thanks

Mitzyboy Sep 24th 2009 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by daddyoconnor (Post 7960646)
However my worry was how much pressure would be put on them when they get them out there for the viewing to buy i.e. what you just said about prices going up and that they should buy now......I am not doubting that the prices may go up, but if my parents were told that, along with not many properties left etc this would certainly be more pressure for them to commit to buying.

I think your concerns there are well founded ... not specifically in relation to this company, but in general. When they get you out there they want you to buy. Thats what they are there for, nothing more. Many of them will try anything to get you to stump up a deposit. I have heard terrible stories of people almost being held prisoner!!

jayjay999 Sep 24th 2009 12:43 pm

Hi there will always be properties for sale in turkey the prices are tipped to rise according to a article in the finical times you may be able to find this on the net.

Taken out a second mortgage is a bad idea if your are retired or semi retired , i personally have developed properties in this country so my financial standing is secure.

If your parents have seen a property they like they could go to the bank and find out if they could release monies from the value of the house this is different to a mortgage as they could pay the monies back when they sell the house.

But when dealing with money i would suggest they seek professional advice from a bank or financial advisor they would be informed of all the costs ,as interest rates are so low here (UK)

I live in Perth Scotland and have visited Crowns shop on more the 1 occasion and they are a good bunch but if they go on a viewing trip with crown or another agent they have the right to say no i have been on 6 viewing trips with different companies (2 with crown), i personally have never felt pressure but i am used to dealing with sales people.

If your parents ever decide to buy a property please tell them never go it alone for the simple reason that it could be a minefield ask about guarantees payment ask many questions as possible any good agent should be able to answer these questions if not avoid the aipp also has a website:eek:

Good luck

jdr Sep 24th 2009 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by jayjay999 (Post 7960908)
Hi there will always be properties for sale in turkey the prices are tipped to rise according to a article in the finical times you may be able to find this on the net.

Taken out a second mortgage is a bad idea if your are retired or semi retired , i personally have developed properties in this country so my financial standing is secure.

If your parents have seen a property they like they could go to the bank and find out if they could release monies from the value of the house this is different to a mortgage as they could pay the monies back when they sell the house.

But when dealing with money i would suggest they seek professional advice from a bank or financial advisor they would be informed of all the costs ,as interest rates are so low here (UK)

I live in Perth Scotland and have visited Crowns shop on more the 1 occasion and they are a good bunch but if they go on a viewing trip with crown or another agent they have the right to say no i have been on 6 viewing trips with different companies (2 with crown), i personally have never felt pressure but i am used to dealing with sales people.

If your parents ever decide to buy a property please tell them never go it alone for the simple reason that it could be a minefield ask about guarantees payment ask many questions as possible any good agent should be able to answer these questions if not avoid the aipp also has a website:eek:

Good luck

AIPP is just a trade organization that is content with just taking the companies money for a logo, no clout on comeback, same as a lot that I came across in my business.

jayjay999 Sep 24th 2009 3:14 pm

Aipp are there to offer advice and point you in the right direction and offer good advice for those willing to listen, i think you are just are very negative person jd if you cant saying anything good why say anything at all?

Aipp are sure to charge a membership fee but i feel because the overseas property market is largley unregulated always look for a agent that will work FOR YOU :blink: