Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any tips for bring a computer back into the UK?

Any tips for bring a computer back into the UK?

Old Jan 11th 2004, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

tangodancer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any tips for bring a computer back into the UK?

I live in the USA and am returning home to the UK for a visit to see my folks in a couple of weeks (going to be hard to deal with the UK winter after the lovely days here in the CA desert) and want to bring them a PC.

I have the PC ready to go and figure I will just check it in as one of my luggage items. Does anyone have tips for the best way to get it through the new US security checks without too much hassle, and for then getting it through UK Customs ?

It only cost $299 so I am hoping there won't be any duty on it.

Thanks

Paul
Old Jan 12th 2004, 7:41 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

As the yanks need all aliens to have a visa to fart now, i doubt if you will get it through.

Why not phone the customs and ask if it will be ok to take through and how.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any tips for bring a computer back into the UK?

Originally posted by tangodancer
I live in the USA and am returning home to the UK for a visit to see my folks in a couple of weeks (going to be hard to deal with the UK winter after the lovely days here in the CA desert) and want to bring them a PC.

I have the PC ready to go and figure I will just check it in as one of my luggage items. Does anyone have tips for the best way to get it through the new US security checks without too much hassle, and for then getting it through UK Customs ?

Thanks

Paul
I have no idea. However, you would want to remove the hard drive(s) and pack it in lots of bubble wrap, because a couple of hard knocks like when they throw your luggage around numerous times and the hard drive will be ruined. I would take the well-packed, boxed hard drive on as a carry-on if possible and then it will almost certainly survive the trip.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

adamfdz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any tips for bring a computer back into the UK?

Originally posted by tangodancer

Thanks

Paul
Is it a lap top or desk top. Most computers will need a new power socket thingy to use UK electricity, but you can get these cables from any PC World etc. Just carry it through and say its yours, that's what i did. No one gave me any agro and the British customs can be dealt with by saying it is yours and not a gift.