Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

any expats in Warsaw, Poland?

any expats in Warsaw, Poland?

Old Mar 6th 2012, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

susiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nice
Cool any expats in Warsaw, Poland?

moving to Poland in the next few weeks.... looking for any info/advice regarding living there .. havent had any joy on the other expat forums .. surely there are expats living there ???
Old Mar 6th 2012, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

espill10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: any expats in Warsaw, Poland?

Hi there,

I am not an expat. I was born in Poland and recently living in Poland after a few years living in the UK. I am located far from Warsaw so I don't know how can I help you?
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:55 am
Just Joined

Ross Naylor is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi susiecy,

I've been in Warsaw for 11 years, originally from the UK, I'm not sure if that makes me an expat any more or a native.

What sort of info are you looking for? You are arriving at a good time, spring is on the doorstep. I first arrived in mid November and thought that I had made a huge mistake .

Ross.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

susiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nice

Hi Ross
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear the weather is improving ... what will summer be like ?
As an expat wife i am simply looking for the heads up to make our lives easier....

stupid things really - like :-

*Take-aways - are there any decent take-aways in Warsaw, do they do a delivery service?

*Supermarkets - looking for a clean well stocked store with international/uk produce. We have found Romania very expensive, hearing Poland is cheaper foodwise?

*Decent furniture store - need to buy practical furniture not this trendy modern stuff.

*Cost of satellite dish - SKY & NILESAT

*Cost of utilities / internet connection?

*English speaking Vet.

*Are there any expat associations for wives/women or a general place they would `hang out` - hubby will be at work so on the look out for some female friends...

*I have a TEFL and i see from previous posts there might be work out there but I want to settle in first and find my feet.

anything else you suggest we should be aware of ? - much apreciated.

Bet you are sorry you asked now !
susiecy
Old Mar 7th 2012, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Ross Naylor is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Susiecy,

Summers in Poland are ususally pretty good, certainly in comparison to GB (not too hard I know).

In answer to your questions:

Take aways - there is a handy service in Warsaw called roomservice - http://roomservice.pl/en/ - where they will collect from any one of a large number of restaurants that are registered with them and deliver to your home. Curry is really taking off in Warsaw at the moment, some good some not.

Supermarkets - Tesco are here. As are the Frenchies - Auchan, Carrefour etc. There are also a number of smaller boutiqe shops selling international stuff. Brand names from overseas are marked up quite substantially whereas you can buy local produce cheaply. Same goes for clothes. Gap have a store which sells exactly the same things as they sell in the UK (they often don't even bother taking the UK GBP price tags off) but marked up by 20%.

Decent furniture store - IKEA?

Sky - Not sure. I don't watch tv. You could try these guys -http://www.satservice.pl/index.htm

Utilities - I pay around GBP20 per month for unlimited broadband.

English speaking vet. No idea I'm afraid.

Expat associations - Mums & Tots (https://sites.google.com/site/mumsandtotsofwarsaw/), International Womens Group (http://www.iwgwarsaw.eu/). If you are sending kids to one of the international schools (British/American/Montessori) you will find a pretty active social scene around those. Also if you are a gym rat, you will find a lot of expats in the upscale gyms.

TEFL - there is always work for native English speakers.

Anything else? Be sure to get out of Warsaw. There are plenty of great places in Poland.

Hope that helps,

Ross.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Ross yes a great help.

Looking forward to it